Turtleneck Thursday 2019-01-31

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luludou, Jan 31, 2019.

1. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Last day of January 2019! It has been a cold, windy and Snowy January for us here.

2. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

I think it's Turtleneck time for everyone here (except for Katrina & Missjane!)

Another cold one here (but not like in the Midwest!) -27 C (-16F) this Morning with windchill Factor and should be about the same all day.

No gym this mornin -rest day. Have Spanish at noon.

Have a good day and stay WARM

3. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Hello Lucie and all to follow.
    I cannot even begin to imagine the cold that you are all experiencing. Please do what ever you need to to keep warm and safe.
    Just finished our extended family dinner, a lovely evening with family and friends at a Chinese restaurant and then back here for cake and coffee. Dessert was a raspberry and chocolate mousse cake. Lovely.
    A cool change has come through and I think that it will be quite pleasant sleeping tonight. Really can't wait for it to cool down and we hit those wonderful Autumn days.
    Will catch up with you all in the morning.

luludou likes this.
  4. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Good morning!

I'm on day 2 of no school due to freezing temps. It's currently -9 here with a wind chill of -30. It's certainly turtleneck weather. Look like snow I coming through later today. The wind chill advisory is in place under tomorrow at 9 am, so I'm sure we will have a delay. We will make up these days in June.

We braved yesterday's temps and went to Maddie's orthodontist appointment. Then we went to dinner and stopped at the book store before the mall closed early. Nothing planned for today. Just the usual home things and relaxing. I may do some baking today, too.

Hope all is well in your world, and that you are staying warm. I'm so thankful for a home, heat and electricity.

Peace and blessings,

5. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

I thought I heard the trash truck coming early so I ran out and put the can to the curb. Never know around here. I'll gather the bathroom trashes later and take them out. Hated to pull out a partially full bag but such is life. It's raining again here this morning. We bought a replacement for DD's tire last night and it won't work. I'll see if DS can take her to school again and then i'll pick her up on my home from my facial this afternoon.

I have PT this morning and a facial this afternoon. In between i'll be studying more math in preparation for my Praxis. I need to do bills this morning and the checkbook and at some point, run to the Commissary for sour cream for fajitas. Exciting stuff around here. DS got the call yesterday from Wendy's so he will go after school today to finish up some paperwork and hopefully they'll tell him when to come in to start training and all that. Hopefully tomorrow or over the weekend!

Lucie- Don't forget me in Hawaii! We don't ever get below the 60's. hehe
    Katrina- Glad it finally cooled down for you.
    Lisa- What will you bake today? Enjoy your snow days, although I know it stinks to make them up on the back end, try not to think about that and just enjoy. :)

Enjoy your day!

luludou likes this.
  6. teachermomof2

I'm going to try these Cherry Pie Bars today.

https://www.barbarabakes.com/cherry-bars/

I just updated my planner, printed a calendar for school and the Valentine's Day lettter and class list, so that's ready to send home next week. Now to schedule an overdue well visit for M.

7. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Good morning all! Not quite turtleneck weather in FL - 50's today and cloudy. Feeling bad for those that ae suffering through weather extremes.

Accomplished quite a bit yesterday - got my meds figured out for Florida - I hope - and got rid of the small fridge that has been sitting on the kitchen table. Our cleaning lady mentioned that her son had just moved back home and I said "he must need a fridge!" and we traded a days cleaning for the fridge!..then went to Barnes & Noble and got a puzzle - perhaps inspired by all the puzzling that Diedra and Vanessa are doing:). Haven't started it yet, though.

Currently waiting for the cable person to come and work on our box. Supposed to be here by noon. 25 minutes left.

Katrina - sounds like a lovely dinner. How wonderful to have such a great relationship with (hopefully) future in-laws
    Lisa - it is a good day to stay home and bake
    Lucie - January does seem to go on forever!
    Jess - congrats to Addison for her good grades! She has a smart mom ( and dad too, I'm sure)

8. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

good afternoon to everyone. stay warm everyone. i cant believe tomo is feb 1st goodbye to jan. worked 5 hours then got off went to food lion . spaghetti for dinner. did hit starbucks love the carmel apple spice nice on a cold day. have a good evening.

9. MrsSoup

Those look amazing!!

10. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

teachermomof2 likes this.
  11. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good morning. I staggered out of the bedroom and Dsil greeted me with "Can't decide whether to go back to bed?" Ugh. I ate some hot cereal and half an orange. Since it's now almost 2 hours later, I guess I made my decision.

My doctor visit yesterday was just a well check. The nurse asked me when the last time was that I had one. I said "Never?" Why would I pay good money to see a doctor if I'm well? And I get to do it again in 6 months. I left with a stack of to-dos - mammo, colonoscopy, bone-density, shots for this & that, eye exam. Yeah, I know why I avoid the doctor.

It's time for me to get off this couch and get busy. I'm going to make granola today and I need to sort some of the stuff stacked in my bedroom.

Have a great day everyone.

12. sweetpumkinpye

Good morning,
    So much cooler here today and I feel so much more energised. The cool weather will not last, it will creep back up tomorrow.
    I got up early and tidied my vanity as part of my Tidying Up program that I am doing. Marie Kondo has a lot to answer for. I cleaned my vanity before Christmas but looking at things with fresh eyes has made all the difference. I got rid of a whole lot more today and am happy with how it looks.
    There was an article in our paper yesterday that said that the charity shops are experiencing a 33% increase on donations compared to this time last year and they are attributing it to the Tidying Up craze.
    Will finish this and then go and finish the other side of my wardrobe and then it is done. If I get a chance I will do my bedside table while it is cool and then the whole bedroom is decluttered.

Coffee this afternoon with a dear friend who I worked with for 10 years. Her birthday is January 10th and we like to get together for a coffee to just catch up.
    Besides that not a lot happening in my world today.

13. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone.

I'm working on finishing 30 pounds of potato salad for a fund raiser tomorrow for a young wife/mom in our church who has been diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. As a matter of fact, she has to be at MD Anderson tomorrow for decisions about treatment. She's already on chemo, but will more than likely have a mastectomy as well.

Our lawyer called yesterday morning to say the other guy's lawyer has the flu....so, we're rescheduled for April 4th. My lawyer talked to the judge, and he said we will ask for all footage of the wedding, uncut, and unedited if the guy still has it. I'm so ready for this to be over!

DH's cousin's funeral was today. Instead of the full day off, I just took a half day because it was at 2:00. DH's family never has a family reunion. I really wish they would because we all enjoy being together when we are. It seems it's only at funerals that we all see each other. :(

I booked our cruise. I'm still not feeling it...:rolleyes:, but DS wants us to go on one, so....anchors away! We'll go in August...I guess I can celebrate retirement.

BRRRR....I can't believe it's so cold where so many of you are!

Lucie, can you work from home when it's so cold?
    Debbie, good way to get rid of the unwanted refrigerator.
    Katrina, I'm sure the thrift shops are loving the increase...and the "stuff" collectors are too! DSisIL and I were talking today about how important it is to just keep what you love. Her mom died a few months ago, and she and her siblings have been cleaning out the house. She's realizing it even more after having to deal with all her mom's stuff. Glad you're getting a small break in the weather.
    GrammaDeb, what kind of shots are they wanting you to take? Colonoscopy is what I would dread the most!
    Lisa, enjoy the days. I'm sorry you'll have to make them up.
    Katrina, congratulations to DS!
    Faye, are they cutting hours again?
    Hi, Jody!

I'm off to finish the potato salad. I'll have to find room in the refrigerator for it.

Hope you all have a restful night!

14. sweetpumkinpye

Plodding along here,
    Just got a call from the breast screen nurse. I had a mammogram last week and they have found something on one of the films. This happened last time I had a mammogram and had to go in and get a cyst drained. It looks like it is in the same spot so I am hoping that that is all it is. Have an appointment next Wednesday at 8am to have it looked at. That has certainly put a damper on my day but that after all is why we have mammograms.

Will keep moving here,

15. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Jane - just the usual shots. Flu, pneumonia, shingles. I hate those huge needles, and for some reason they always laugh when I try to get them to use my insulin needles.

missjane likes this.
  16. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello again!

Spent the whole day waiting for the cable person to come and then a part was missing so he has to come back again tomorrow. At least he set up the TV so we can watch all the channels. The part tomorrow will be to enable the DVR set up.

I just did a bit of scrapping today and realized that I need to go to the scrapbook store and get some more things before I can proceed further. Maybe tomorrow .

Katrina - hope all will be well. I don't think they would have let the appointment wait if there was something to really worry about
    Deb - always hated shots!
    Jane - hope you get what you need from the wedding photographer

17. MrsSoup

Afternoon!

PT was a workout this morning! I saw the therapist first this time and she massaged my calf, felt great! Then she had me do some things in the room before sending me off to the community therapy room to do the rest of my exercises with a tech. I had a different girl than last time but I liked her better I think. I did one new exercise but increased what I did on all of the others. I was worn slick by the time I left there but it has me wanting to get back into working out for sure. It's a good start I guess. I came home and had lunch and then headed off to my facial.

I chose a different person for my facial this time and will definitely switch to her from now on. She was way better than the other woman I was going to there. I just liked her technique better. She took her time and and the other lady, while nice enough, seemed rushed somehow and would sigh and make noises like she was bored. Anyway, she did a glyco something facial (it prickled for a few minutes on my skin, but didn't quite hurt) for my uneven skin tone and used several hydrating products after. It felt good overall. She recommended a collagen serum and another one for my skin tone. One was on sale for 45% off, the other wasn't. I bought the one and the wonderful lady at the front desk gave me two sample sized bottles of the other to try to see if I liked it before I spent that kind of money on it. I was prepared to purchase both but had asked about a discount on the other.

I picked up DD from school and then stopped by the Commissary. Came home and have been working on math. I'll get fajitas going in a while. I'm not in a big rush because i'm pretty sure DH is working late. It's been raining most of the day. I wish I could have been home all day curled up under my comfy blanket.

18. teachermomof2

Katrina...hope all works out okay for you!

19. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Katrina, praying it's nothing serious. DD25 had a cyst when she was in high school. They monitored it for 3 months, and it had grown, so they removed the cyst. The surgeon said it would destroy the breast tissue if it kept growing and she would have a "cave in" if it ruptured. No fun having to have it drained, for sure!