Umm...what is supposed to go in a carry-on?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just took out my brand new carry-on I bought for our trip, when I realized I have no idea what exactly should go in it. I have flown a few times many years ago, but this is the first time I am packing for myself. My suitcase also just meets the requirements for a carry-on, but I'm not sure if I should carry it on too. Do they search them by hand? My husband would be mortified if I carried on all my clothes and someone was digging through my underwear, etc. He embarrasses really easily.

Are you supposed to bring enough stuff in your carry-on to get by if they lose your luggage? or just stuff to occupy you on the plane?

I checked online for restrictions on liquids, gels, and powders. I read I can bring 2 100 ml bottles of sunscreen, but not 1 200 ml bottle of sunscreen...I'm sure there is some reason for this.

I'd appreciate any advice! I should also mention that I am 100% terrified of flying and my husband and I got the last two seats....on opposite ends of the plane! :thud:

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
I have flown a LOT, including international. In your carry on I would suggest:

Prescription and over the counter meds
Snacks for the plane
Something to read
Fresh undies & a nightshirt in case you don't get your luggage
Toothbrush/tiny toothpaste
Camera or any other expensive electronics

Some carriers do handsearch your luggage. I pack my underwear and socks in clear gallon size plastic bags. This way they are not touched, but the screeners can see what is in them. If the screeners open the bags, they do it behind a partition and they wear gloves.

Ann Landers once wrote in her column to a person who was very afraid to fly: "Remember, the pilot is very invested in the flight himself and he wants to arrive safely, too." After thinking about that statement, it made me much more comfortable to fly.

Good luck!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Your carry on should have anything you can't live without, just in-case your luggage gets lost. And at least a change or two of clothes.

You can always pack your underwear in ziploc bags so you don't have to worry about someone touching them. A friend who works for the airlines does this with all her clothes when she travels.

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
I worked for the airlines for 7 yrs and now I fly very frequently. I agree with everything everyone else said so I wont say anymore on that topic however, seating assignments I will try to help you on. Depending on the airline their seating assignments can be changed somewhat. You can check back once a week to see if any opened up (Hardly ever happens) or you can wait till 24hrs before departure. Alot of the airlines open seats then. If this still does not work, when you check in for your flight ask for seats together. Most likely you will receive what you want. If the flight is not full then I would ask for window and aisle and hopefully the middle seat is left blank so that you have more room. I can tell you a million reasons why you shouldnt be afraid of riding in a plane but I wont because everyone could tell me not to be afraid of spiders but seeing one walking down the wall freaks me out and I lose any common sense I had. Have fun! Any more questions let me know would be happy to help.

you will also need chewing gum or hard candies to suck on to avoid too much ear popping!! I too don't travel often but if you keep yourself occupied you won't think anything of it. When I traveled with the kids for the very first time I brought their gameboys and our portable DVD player. Once you are up in the air you can use these electronics just not during the departure and landing!!! Your carry on does go trough the machine and the only time they went through mine was because I had a little zippered pouch full of loose change and the bag also had my digital camera in it. Other than that never had a problem before. Oh and remember to wear shoes that slip off and on easily otherwise you will cause an angry mob behind you waiting to pass the security check...lol!!! It sure wasn't easy with 3 young boys to get their carryons aside and put their sneakers back on them....oh well!!

You didn't mention where you are going. When my mom traveled down here for Disney she had all her light items-clothing and such mailed to the Disney Hotel and they had them waiting for her when she arrived. It definitely beats having your luggaga lost. She packed the heavier items with her for the plane-she had gifts for the boys, her laptop, etc... With the newwer luggage restrictions it still worked out to be cheaper for her to mail some of the clothing and she packed 2 days of clothes in case they didn't arrive on time.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I am flying to Ontario, 1 3-hour flight and 1 1/2 hour flight in a little prop plane. I know people say flying is the safest way to travel, but I still feel like there's only a 50/50 chance the thing will land safely. I've read the statistics, but I guess its just my assumption of Murphy's Law.

Do you have to take your shoes off at the airport? I don't remember doing that before, but I was much younger.

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Yes - when you go through security they usually ask you to remove your shoes. You put them in a tray and they go through the x-ray machine. I try to wear something slip on with socks. I don't want to be barefoot on the airport floor. EWWWWWWW!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh...didn't know that. Unfortunately all I have is lace up sneakers. I'll be sure not to doubleknot them like usual. lol.
Anyways, we leave today so I'll be off for a week. Wish me luck....I'll be a nervous wreck as soon as that plane starts moving.

Thinking I'll bring my mini DVD player and Christmas movies to distract me. And chocolate. We don't fly out until early in morning and in case anything does happen, I don't want the last thing I ever eat to be oatmeal. lol

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
FrostyShimmer said:
And chocolate. I don't want the last thing I ever eat to be oatmeal. lol

I love this thought! I'm going to eat chocolate every time I get in the car! I'm more afraid someone will hit my car than I am of flying. Chocolate should help.

Darcy

Retire Member
Jan 1, 2008
Great idea about the Christmas movie and chocolate. You know Chocolate is considered medicinal in cases like this!

:rotflol:

:rotflol: That is funny about your "last meal" in the unknown!!! But I would want mine to be LOTS of LOBSTER with melted butter...lol. Luxury is so limited that I can't help myself!!! If I was to go by an affordable indulgence it would be my homemade banana bread...yummo!!!