Watching the Weather Saturday, April 13, 2019

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by missjane, Apr 13, 2019.

1. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Good morning, friends from MHH World!

2. missjane

Hi, everyone!

Floors have been mopped. Clothes have been folded and some put away (sleeping people at my house at the moment), throw rugs are in the washer, and dishwasher is running. I need to do some decluttering today and grade some papers. Yesterday was the last day of the 5th six weeks, and I gave a test in three classes.

DD26 called this morning at 5:45 to say they were getting strong wind, rain, and hail She lives in Monroe, 50 miles northwest of us. I think our worst weather isn't coming in until mid-afternoon into tonight, but it looks like where DD lives may get some almost all day into tonight.

I spent over two hours on the phone last night with the Verizon help line trying to get my phone back to better reception. I just reset my phone to factory settings because that's the last thing I was told to do after everything was backed up, which took into the night after I was long asleep....actually slept really well last night! I'll probably lose everything in my phone and won't be able to recover anything.

I want to make a tote to take when we go to the ballgames and such this summer. I dug around in my fabric and found a small piece to use for the outside pockets, but need some for the body. If the weather weren't supposed to get so bad, I would go to Monroe and see if I could find some. Oh, well....such is life.

What do you all have planned for today?

Hope you all have a great day!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Ahorsesoul likes this.
  3. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good morning. I'm sitting here enjoying my weekly Saturday morning 3-hour stint at gymnastics. Yawn. I'll be moving out to the car in a bit, so I can crochet.

Dgd walked in the door after school yesterday carrying a huge frozen ham. They had a foot race - boys & girls - and she won! Who knew she could run. Now we don't need to buy a ham for Easter.

I took dh to lunch yesterday. When I asked where he wanted to go, all he could think of was "the raw fish place." He obviously wanted Japanese. I don't do sushi, but I do like tempura shrimp & veggies. I don't think I will ever get the hang of chop sticks.

I don't have any specific plans for the day. I need to pick up a prescription on the way home from the gym, and that's pretty much it. I'll fix a potato salad for dinner, to go with baked chicken and a green salad. Think I'll whip up an Impossible Pie for dessert.

Have a great day! Stay safe in the wild weather!

4. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Hello!

Not too much time today. It's my Jakey's birthday party! I bought gift bags the other day and they must have gotten mixed up with MJ's stuff. Groan. So I had to go get some more today. Still have everything to wrap.i have my outfit planned. And it won't take me too long to wrap everything.

When I get home, I will hang my Easter wreath on my door. It is heavy, even tho there are plastic eggs. I will try to post a pic on FB.

Woke up very achy this a.m. Ugh. I hate this part of getting old!

Today is our Shannon's birthday! Argh! That is pirate talk for happy birthday, Shan!

I gotta get busy. It will take me a while to get it all together. You know, because i am getting so old! Have a good day! We are having cool temps today, with rain tonite and tomorrow! So, you stay safe and be blessed. Hey, Jane! You can come up here and look thru my fabric stash! Lol

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  5. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

We are about to get into baseball mode! It's Eli's first game this morning and it looks like rain. They won't cancel or stop the game unless it is raining hard because it rains so much up here, so we'll be prepared with umbrellas. I'll take my camera. I have to admit, i'm a bit nervous which is weird because i've never been nervous about a sport before. I think it's because baseball, while a team sport, is very noticeable individual positions if that makes sense. Eli is on third base I believe and we definitely need to work on his catching skills more. He is also one of the pitchers and it makes me nervous that they'll put him out there and they haven't been doing very great work with any of the pitchers and I don't want him to be embarrassed, ya know? Sometimes he does great and other times he still can't get it to the plate. I'm being silly I know. DH was supposed to bring home a couple tires from work so that we could practice pitching here at home into the tires. Now that i'm thinking about it, we'll need some kind of net to put behind the tires to catch the balls.

After the game, DH will head on down towards work because he's going to stop and give blood on the way. They call him every time they are doing a blood drive because he has O neg blood. He will work all afternoon at the motorcycle range. I have the Big Event for the Spouses Club this evening and need to dress up WWII style. I'm thinking Rosie the Riveter. I was going to do coveralls, but in some photos i've seen blue jeans and a denim shirt so I may go that route just because it's easier to wear jeans and a denim shirt and I have those things easily accessible and the coveralls we may or may not have are not blue like they should be. Just need to find a bandana now and see if I can get a victory roll in my hair. haha Or i'll just curl it and pin it back and throw on some red lipstick. I'm going to stress too much over it all. I still have one more chapter to read through for homework today as well.

Jane- Will be thinking of you today! Hope you can get your phone working properly again. Stay safe! Keep us posted if you can.
    Deb- What an interesting prize for children. I can't use chopsticks, have tried and tried.
    Pam- Have fun at the party!

Enjoy your day!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  6. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

hello to all. rainy sat. stopped by the dollar tree on the way home. going to clean some and wash a load of clothes. t ball was cancelled bc of the rain. they had the 10k run today downtown my daughter said it let up some. tonite is the nascar rce is i town . have agood evening

7. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

I have been busy putzing around all week. Doing little things. If I could stay focused long enough I would have had it done in a day. between reading, binge watching an Australian tv show (on Acorn TV) free for a week and house duties I put together a puzzle and halfway through another, and worked on my CIJ ornaments. I tried to ornaments at my DB's but needed something I didn't expect to need and had to stop. They assemble easily so will finish up tomorrow while waiting for the 1-3 inches of snow promised. We will head to DS's in SD on Thursday so will need to pull together the things I have to take there.

I am getting ready to take ex-boss's son bowling. He wanted to go to a movie but he sees them before I can ask to take him even tho I put in my card to call when he wanted to see a movie, Ex-boss text a bit ago and said he want to go bowling. I am going today! tired of waiting on them for me to deliver on a promised gift. Next time it will be a movie ticket. lol.

8. missjane

Hi, everyone.

In our immediate area, all the talk about the weather seems to be much ado about nothing so far, for which I'm thankful, but I know the festival committee is probably just sick over it since they called it off. It's been cloudy and cool, lower 60s with a light breeze and only a sprinkle of rain about 30 minutes ago. The weather channel is still saying it's coming, but we're down from 100% chance of rain to 40%. People are complaining all over FB that it was cancelled.

I've scrubbed the trash can, cleaned out the refrigerator, and washed the containers from that. I made sour dough bread dough and it's rising. I'll make three kinds this time, garlic for DH, cheese with jalapeno, and plain, or make the last third cinnamon rolls. I'm procrastinating about grading papers. I need to work on the budget for March-April.

GrammaDeb, I've never heard of a student winning a ham! Supper sounds good!
    Pam, I buy my gift bags from Dollar Tree. Can't beat the price! Hope it's a good BD party.
    Faye, my DGSs get so discouraged when their games are cancelled. They play so often, I'm sometimes thankful! ;) I bet the population swells during the race.
    Jess, being a "baseball Mama & now Nana," I understand every bit of what you're saying. He's very young and will improve as he ages and gets stronger. I'm sure his team's capabilities will be very much like the other teams'.
    Jody....hindsight! Sounds like you did some things that were relaxing/refreshing for you. Nothing wrong with that every once in a while.

I have jeans on, but still have my pajama top on. Suppose I should go put on the hated "appropriate undergarment" and a shirt, along with some shoes just in case things do get cranked up with the weather.

I'll keep you posted.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  9. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Jane be safe in the storm. How exciting 26 more days despite all the work ahead. I only had a week to wait out retirement as I decided at the last minute.
    Pam enjoy the party, I am sure Jake will be happy to see you.
    Jess, DS was a pitcher and catcher for 12 years. I didn't want him to pitch for fear of shoulder issues but coach ignored me, I was correct, his shoulder blade didn't rotate, came out like a wing after a while and caused a lot of pain. He spent several months in PT correcting it. He now catches in a small league of young men. He was always good at baseball, had his head in the game. If Eli is really interested have him watch baseball on TV, (we of course are Cub Fans.) he will learn to know the anticipated plays when the batter steps up to the plate
    Hi Faye, Glad to hear you done for the weekend. Enjoy your time off.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  10. happy2bme

happy2bme Well-Known Member

Happy Saturday, everyone,

Started the day off with massage - it was so painful. I am going to be going every week as my neck and shoulders are a mess. We took Ruby for a walk and stopped to talk to a couple of ladies who thought Ruby was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen. Too cute.

K is packing her room and I am working on change of addresses. We are making homemade pizza for dinner and will watch a movie - K picked Christopher Robin. Has anyone seen it?

Later.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  11. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

We really enjoyed Christopher Robin, but I knew I would. I am a huge fan of Winnie the Pooh.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  12. MrsSoup

We're back from the game. Eli got to pitch the third inning (I said second on FB, but now that I think about it I think it was the third). Then he batted in the 4th. He did very well pitching, much better than the last pitcher we had up there (but they all need more practice). The other team's coach was very vocal and rude in our opinion. Eli commented on it as well after the game. She was yelling at her players from the third base when they were batting and it wasn't very pleasant. I'm all for motivation, but there's motivation and encouragement and then just plain ridicule and demeaning. The other team was very good and honestly, I thought we lost. But we pulled it off with a 8-7 win. The other team's pitchers just weren't with it and nearly every one of our players were walked to first base so we always had the bases loaded, at least one was hit with a ball. The last pitcher they had up couldn't really get it to the plate, I felt bad for him. Even though I don't feel like our coaches really coach the pitchers, ours were much better and the other team had the opportunity to actually hit the ball and not just walk to first, so that's why I thought they had won, they had several good runs because they had more opportunities to actually hit the ball. Anyway, we played a good game and they know what they need to work on this week.

DH left the game early to head off and after the game I took the boys for ice cream. Now DS is supposed to be working on his room and i'm going to get started on schoolwork. I need to go figure out what i'm going to wear tonight so i'm not figuring it out last minute. DD just got home from her sleepover and the pool.

Jane- People would have been really upset had the festival still been ran and the weather been dangerous. They don't think about that side of things.
    Mel- Massage sounds delightful!

13. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Evening! after work yesterday we went to get to a fast-food joint (hot-dogs for dh and gyro for me). then dh stopped by the hardware store for a few things (I bought some flower bulbs) and then realized he had left his wallet on the job so we went all the way back there. DS texted saying they wanted to come over for awhile. so we all arrived home at 7:15 (they brought Zac-the-dog too). We watched a horror movie (The skeleton key), for once a good movie with an intrigue not just gore. they left around 11:30.

Was awake at 6;15 but got up 7:15. deep spring-cleaned my bedroom, did some laundry . filled clothesline and added curtains from bedroom and kitchen.... clothesline broke and all went in the snow, water and sand. sigh... had to rewash everything. Also emptied old bathroom cabinets since we sold them and they will be picked up this week. Neighbor gave me a bag of Mason jars too.
    DS, ddil and the dog spent the afternoon here. DS & ddil had a supper and evening tonight so the dog is with us.... he is taking alot of attention tonight. dh is gone for a walk with him.

.... guess what... the reason for the visit last night?!

I'm gonna be a grandma! ddil is pregnant and it should be for December! I'm happy (though I wish they would've waited a little to be sure, but hey that's the way life is). So that's my big news. will start looking at crochet baby stuff, and I need to make baby's 1st christmas ornament. will know in may about the gender. Nobody else knows for now so I won't talk about it on FB just yet. dd doesn't know yet. I think they'll tell next week at Easter dinner.

Later

happy2bme likes this.
  14. happy2bme

happy2bme Well-Known Member

Congratulations Grandma Lucie!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    luludou likes this.
  15. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Lucie - Congratulations!!!

luludou likes this.
  16. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Lucie, Such good news.

luludou likes this.
  17. MrsSoup

Congratulations Lucie!! How exciting!

I finished my chapter despite my talkative boys being home. I decided on what i'm wearing this evening and attempted a catnap on the couch because I was falling asleep while reading my chapter. I might try for another short nap because i'm really tired for some reason, or a cup of coffee. I wrote DS a step by step, in depth list for cleaning his room. He requested so I obliged. We'll see if this helps. He can keep it for future reference. He said he gets overwhelmed with so much so he can refer back to the list for a reminder of what to do next. My brother was the same way when told to do multiple things at once. I got on to DD about her room and she said she will do hers tomorrow. If she doesn't, then she'll be grounded. Mom isn't playing around!

luludou likes this.
  18. missjane

Congratulations, Lucie!! How exciting!

I think we have one more line of weather to come through and we'll be in the clear. DH drove around and said there's a lot of water. I haven't looked at the rain gauge. I've seen on some peoples' FB about tornado and wind damage within 10 miles of us.

I'm in the bed, but will try to stay awake a while longer. If I go to sleep now, I'll wake up in the wee hours of the morning.

Night, everyone!

MrsSoup, luludou and Ahorsesoul like this.