Wednesday----July 4th, 2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lana, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!

2. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Got up about 5:30 and I am dressed.

Last night I emptied and loaded dishwasher and hand washed some. We went deer looking after 8. Jaymee got some pictures.

The pool is up and filled---BUT-----even tho it was even with the water going in, it isn't now AND a leak sprung. It is an 18' foot. Think we will get the 20 foot to have. Hoping to catch it on clearance--like everybody else probably.

Today will be working around here, at least is my plan.

Be safe if you are traveling.

Might do homemade ice cream later tonight.

Have a GREAT day!

3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Happy 4th of July to my American friends!

Back to work today. At least supper is ready and just needs reheating. They have cut off all accesses to blogger from work... I can't read the CIJ blogs from here anymore... I read them before starting work or at noon :(

4. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Happy Independence Day! Quiet day today and maybe we'll check out the fireworks tonight.

5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Nothing on the schedule for today.

DD and Dh are still in bed. LC1 has been here to walk Boots and Twillow is outside hoping a bird will visit him.

It's already hot outside so I plan on staying in to read. Maybe I'll make Frozen Hot Chocolate today.

Happy Fourth of July to all.

6. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

happy 4th of july to all
    back from vacation to new york . it was great love new york. . cant wait to go back ill always visit new york when i can. want to go to las vegas on my next vacation though. hope everyone has a great day. cookout this evening. get grandson for his bday tomo and mine on friday . enjoy your day

luludou likes this.
  7. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Happy 4th of July to those in the US!!

I got up and put the brisket in the oven and ran to the grocery store for a few things that are on sale today only. DH went with me and we swung by the repair shop to check on his mower. $350 to get it repaired, but he paid for it out of mowing money, so all is well.

I'm just finishing eating my breakfast...tummy wasn't feeling too well, but I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to eat before taking my medicines in the morning...hate eating first thing in the morning. I prefer eating about mid-morning (9 to 9:30ish). It works in the summer, but not when I'm teaching school.

Myron's Mom, do you have a big celebration planned for today? I should have been home yesterday doing some stuff, instead of clunking around in the stores just browsing.
    Lisa, I thought about looking at thrift stores, too, for furniture. I like to go to estate sales, too. I've gotten several good things at both...a beautiful bedroom suite for $700 that included two night stands, a dresser, a chest of drawers, queen sized bed, and like new mattress set (knew the lady personally - a widow, so not like buying them from a stranger), all in almost perfect condition.
    Lana, bummer to get the pool up and it has a leak! What about some of that leak sealer stuff on the commercial where the guy practically yells at you - funny, can't think of the name, but do know the guy is practically yelling, haha?
    HW2, glad you enjoyed NY! I have a niece who lives in Las Vegas, but I've never been.
    Lucie, I can empathize about the work situation. We have a HEAVY filter system on the school computers. We can't even go to web sites they tell us to use for training and classroom activities sometimes. :mad:
    Diedra, a day of reading sounds good. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
    Pamela, hope you get to enjoy the fireworks tonight. I love big firework displays.

Hope you all have a great day!

8. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

DD and Dh slept until after 9 this morning. I did my 5 minutes of weeding in the flowers.

Once everyone was up I took photos that I printed of DD friend in her July 4th shirt. They turned out really good. Her smile was excellent and he eyes were open. This friend usually shuts her eyes for photos. I did stop by Caribou for frozen hot chocolate for all of us. I think I like my recipe better.

Pam Spaur likes this.
  9. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Happy birthday to America! Good morning, friends!

I have been up and out and eaten, but I am hungry right now. I have been eating myself out of house and home. Expecting company tomorrow.

I found 2 pacifiers at Walgreens this morning with elephants so I bought them. Got home to discover that they are for 18-24 months. I bought them for my great grrandson. Made a paci pouch for them. Sigh. I sent a message to Lindsay I thought, but it went to Jay instead. Big oops!

I sewed a very cute burp cloth. It has elephants all over it. I love it! The nursery is done in elephants. My granddaughter has good taste.

I had better get busy. More to do than I have a back for. But I must try. Have a happy birthday and thank God for America!

Diedra, will you please share your frozen hot chocolate recipe, please?

luludou likes this.
  10. hollyberry

hollyberry Member

Hello everyone! I've been here for a few years but never posted much. So, here is my re- introduction and hello. :)
    I am a 40 something mom of 5 from WV who enjoys baking, reading, and papercrafting. I absolutely love Christmas!! I enjoy baking Christmas goodies and making candies. I take after my beloved, late Grandma who used to go all out for Christmas. I miss her so much! I love reading Christmas stories anytime of year. Love to decorate. I just got 5 more Gooseberry Patch Christmas cookbooks in the mail the other day. Lots of good recipes and ideas! I am also one of the few that sends out cards, too. A lot of friends and family don't do this anymore. So, my list is smaller. Is there a Christmas card swap done here? Also, is there other Christmas swaps here? I would love to be a part of if there is.
    For today, we are just having hot dogs on the grill, chips, and orange buttermilk salad. It is a very light dessert. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/orange-buttermilk-salad/
    Tonight, we'll probably do sparklers and watch fireworks on TV.
    I hope to begin posting regularly.
    Have a great 4th, everyone!

Blessings!

11. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Happy 4th of July. In past years we celebrated my mother's birthday by watching the parade, picnicking & playing at the park, and fireworks later. After the kids left home we grilled and had an indoor picnic at Mother's home, and drove to see the fireworks. This year we have no plans for anything special. I fixed pancakes & eggs for breakfast, and dsil said he & the kids will watch Independence Day. I'm thinking he might grill something for dinner. DH is searching for a war movie - Oh, he found Midway. I am definitely headed to the shower now, and then I'll set up my sewing machine. I have my two fleece blankets to sew, and today feels like the day to get them done.

Have a great day everyone.

12. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha and Happy 4th of July!

Every holiday that has to do with America gets me emotional so i've already teared up this morning when certain songs have come on the radio. I have a huge sense of pride in our country and the military (being a military family and all) and plan on celebrating to the fullest today. We have rented a space on the field on post today with our friends and the husbands are already there watching the stuff since they setup this morning. Us wives and kids will be headed over shortly. The festivities don't start for another hour or so and then go until the fireworks tonight. We will be back and forth all day i'm sure. I have to check on the dogs periodically and they have a just under 2 year old that will not make it all day out there and will need a nap.

Enjoy your day!

13. piratemamaof3boys

piratemamaof3boys Well-Known Member

Afternoon all and happy 4th. Spent this morning being lazy and the boys all slept in also. We went out to dinner and put put last night. Ots hot today and with the 4th mod week we are not planning anything. I am going into DS room to try to do some prep work for the move hit they slept late.
    Ran to Walmart, yuck, how I'm laying around again lol.
    Don't think we will get anywhere for fireworks. Boys don't care plus we don't like dealing with the traffic

Have a happy 4th.

Hollyberry welcome!
    HW2 glad you had a good vacay

14. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone.

The dipped strawberries are finished and the twice baked potato casserole is ready to go in the oven when it's time. I still need to ice the cupcakes, but I set the frosting in the refrigerator, got busy and left it too long. Now, I have to let it warm a little so it will not be too difficult to squeeze through the decorator tip.

Shannon, it sounds like the room moving is going slowly. What made them decide to swap? It is weird with the 4th in the middle of the week...just one day off, so not really enough time to go or celebrate late because of work the next day.
    Jess, I have always loved celebrating the 4th. I know the US has it's problems, but I still think it's a great place to live and am grateful for all the families that are willing to fight for us to enjoy the freedoms we continue to enjoy.
    Tina, welcome...it's always great to have others join the chit-chat...one of the best ways to really get to know each other! There is a thread for a card swap. It showed up under new posts for me. The ornament swap has already happened. Lana takes care of it, and it's always done in July to celebrate CIJ, but stick around and you can join it next year!
    Pam, keep those pacifiers...they'll need some for when the baby is older!
    Grammadeb, I like the comment of it seeming like the day to get them done. Do you have to be "in the mood" to get certain projects done? I do! I can do things on days I don't feel like it, but on those days, it feels as I'm just slugging through the mud. :confused:

Ok...time to get the brisket out of the oven. I'll slice it after it cools...slices so much better that way!

Happy 4th, everyone!

hollyberry likes this.
  15. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back hollyberry.

The pool has the leak on the side and must be a slow leak on the bottom sand all wet. Allen got a 20' pool at Menards. It opened today at Mt. Vernon. Now to get a Target. Will get this other pool up at some point and transfer the water over and fill it some more. Might see if my ex BIL would want this pool. Will see.

hollyberry likes this.
  16. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Happy 4th of July!

Started out hot, humid and sunny, which led to an afternoon of thunderstorms. We are under a flood watch until 11 tonight. Hoping it doesn't cancel out the fireworks tonight .

We slept late. Then I made a Firecracker Bundt Cake, it's just red, white and blue, inside and out. I posted a pic on Facebook. I also made linguine salad for dinner. I did a load of placemats and oven mitts and pot holders , then a load of my house clothes....the comfiest clothes on the planet. ;) I'll put them away before dinner.

I came to sit outside and read for about an hour. Just hanging out with J and M. H is the lead afternoon milker today, so he won't be home until around 8. We just saw a flock of turkeys right next to the porch. It was 2 hens and 12 poults. Yesterday we had a deer come through eating along the wood line.

Hi Tina! Welcome back!
    Lana....M just said she wishes we had a pool. Hope you get it all worked out.
    Jane...sound like a great meal! We are having steak kabobs to go with linguine salad and baked beans.
    Shannon...why the room move?
    Hw2-welcome home! NY is one of my faves too.
    Hi Pam, Lucie, Diedra, Jess and Deb!

Peace and blessings-

hollyberry likes this.
  17. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

The 4th of July at a forest preserve that has a marina, beach and picnic grove is always challenging. Today, I opened and the not so fun began. A cashier didn't show up, we finally got her on the phone, she was 35 mins. late. The ranger open the gate early and I didn't have the cashier on the register yet because we don't open until 6:30. Cashier for that location gave permission for them to go through. Then the credit card readers stopped working and I had to call and get point of sales reconfigured. We were instructed to pump the septic at the furthest point from the main location every hour. Parking lots were not set as they should have been so I needed to do that. People waiting for the beach started to argue about who was in line first. The new assistant manager let in to many people without checking receipts. Two staff members thought they were managers and made decisions on behalf of managers. I am glad to be home.I got home near 3 pm after purchasing sunscreen for the attendants that used all of what we purchased for them and didn't bother to get their own or tell us they didn't have any. Thankful this is my last season to work.

Tomorrow is a new day. Thank the Lord.

The rest of the day will involve nothing but chilling out.

18. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Active Member

Happy July4th to everyone. I hope everyone has a safe and fun evening.
    Miss Jane, we just had some friends over for burgers, baked beans, potato salad and homemade chocolate cake. We used to have a much larger celebration but we both have lost all of our immediate families over the last few years. I miss those times with our families. Our son lives in Dayton and works quite abit so it's difficult for him to come home.
    I love estate sales!!! I just need to stay away from them. I need to downsize not add to my mess.

Pirate mama I laughed over your comment about traffic- that's why we don't do a lot of things these days.

Gramma Deb we were just talking about old war movies when our friends were here. We haven't watched Midway in awhile. My personal favorite is In Harms Way.

To all the military families thank you to your entire family for your service. Your sacrifices is greatly appreciated!!!

PamelaG and Cathymac2 like this.
  19. piratemamaof3boys

piratemamaof3boys Well-Known Member

The move is slow with work during the week and last weekend was DS2 Bday so we wanted to wait then he needed to clean out his clutter. We were going to take down DS2 loft but DS 3 offered to swap. DS3 has been in the room since we moved here 10 us ago originally shared with his brother and he says he wants a change. Works for me BUT he is getting it as is we told him no painting or moving furnature. U want them to go swap clothes tonight... guess 8 need to inform them of that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  20. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Hello to Hollyberry and Myron's mom! so nice to see you posting with us :)
    My package of 3 pair of shoes was delivered to a neighbor's house, so I got it back. all 3 fit! I'm happy.

Hot, humid and mucky tonight. hoping to get a good night's sleep, have been having insomnia the last few nights.

'Night