Wednesday June 19th

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lana, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Good Morning!

2. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Popping in for a few.

Have dishes and tea to do before work. Maybe.....

Last night after my shower I put bleach on my rash. Have a place on the back of my neck that is leaking. Face not as red but very much still there.

Weather is to warm up. To mid 90's or low.

So Danielle won the Voice. I was thnking it would be her.

Later my friends.

Everybody have a GREAT day.

3. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Morning!

I slept really good last night, probably one of the best sleeps in years. I don't remember waking up until around 4:15 and normally I wake up frequently. I have showered and am ready for my busy day. Eli is going to daycare from 9-12 and i'm going to go to Dollar Tree and see about 2 liters of soda, cups, spoons and straws. Then i'll either go by or call Walmart and see about them having enough ice cream for us. After that i'll go by the Company and try to catch the commander so I can lay it all out for him. I also still need to make a sign before I go there so I can leave it with him and I need to drop the books off at the library since they are due before we get back.

Today is the kid's last day of school and they get out at noon so will be home by 12:45 and 1. Then DD and DS have physicals at 3, then Eli has gymnastics at 5 and DD has gymnastics at 5:30. In between all of this I need to get all the laundry done, the house cleaned and everyone packed up.

My new laptop won't let me on the internet for some reason so i'm still using my old computer. Very frustrating. I tried using the troubleshooter and restarting it and updating it, nothing is working. It says it's connected but I can't get on. DH will have to figure it out I guess.

Hi Lana! Did they put you on prednisone? I am highly allergic to poison ivy, but thankfully haven't had it since I was in school. The last time I had it was really bad and they put me on prednisone. It's a steroid and made me gain weight, awful for a 6th grader. LOL I hope it clears up quickly!

Enjoy your day!

4. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Morning! to be sunny all day - wow, what a change! been rainy & gray all spring.

Did 10k on the bike this morning but sure didn't feel like it. would've stopped after 5k.
    Will be another busy day in the corporate world. Nothing planned for lunch. Have a few personal things to take care of for dd (she has to bring some paperwork in at the hospital on Tuesday).

Wishing you all a great day!

5. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Good morning!

It didn't take a second mortgage but pretty close to it at the vet yesterday. Blood work, X-rays and an enema - turns out MudLynn was severely constipated! I'm sure she will never want to darken those doorsteps again. She kept looking at me with the "How could you?" look all evening. She's a bit perkier this morning - let's hope it stays that way.

Looks like a quiet day today - waiting for a phone call from the furniture store to find out what time Vic's recliner will be delivered tomorrow. He's been out to sea for a few days so we planned to surprise him with another Father's Day gift (he got a book he wanted on Sunday but we didn't have much of a celebration because we still had guests). It's also a thank you gift for putting up with our guests - I've come to realize that although he was a gracious host, he's really not that crazy about our having company and for almost a week was definitely too long.

I'm busy plotting out my Christmas in July plan - it will be a little low-key compared to my first year, Monday through Friday each week only, but still full of lots of fun. I think we're also going to do a carol study based on a book I bought some years ago, Best-Loved Christmas Carols by Ron Clancy (Here's a link if anyone is interested: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Loved-Ch...ywords=best-loved+christmas+carols+ron+clancy). We did a Christmas Unit Study when we were homeschooling several years ago - an in-depth study of everything to do with Christmas but for some reason, I don't think we really got into the carols. I say this because the book looks unopened and the CD is still in its sealed cover!

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

6. SparkleNana

SparkleNana New Member

Good Morning to PamelaG, luludou, MrsSoup, Lana.... and to all the wonderful people who follow.

This will be a long post about a problem that our family is facing. Please come back and read at your leisure:

As you know, dh and I are in our 70's. As you know.... men seem to die at younger ages than women. So..... dh has had a number of his very closest friends... die. Friendships of many decades.... from before our children were born. Each death is a big loss to dh! Currently... of his two closest friends.... one is suffering dementia. He can only walk a few feet at a time. Very very bad condition!

The second... was in excellent shape.... physically and mentally. WAS.

Here is the problem: each of these losses..... kind of leaves "a hole" in dh's life. Luckily.... our children and grandchildren have chosen to keep us.... very involved in their lives. Which is a great source of comfort to us. AND... dh and I are very happy... with each other. But.... "male friends" are very important to men!

Frankly.... I am worried about dh's reaction to what may happen to this remaining.... decades-old friend!

Here is the crisis event: The friend was playing golf... a few weeks ago... on a hot summer afternoon. (I KNOW.... this says a lot about "using good judgement". Remember: we are talking about MEN here.)

During the game, the friend hit a golf ball into a water hazard. He stood on the bank and reached way over... to get the golf ball... and passed out. He fell face down, into the water. Luckily.... people pulled him out quickly... and got an ambulance to take him to a nearby hospital. He was kept overnight.... multiple injuries, broken bones, concussion, etc. etc.

Here is the problem, as it affects US!!!!

The friend has terrible, terrible headaches... when he stands up.... or bends over. He is in pain and is EXHAUSTED. Here is the problem... as it affects us: Nobody is really taking care of this good friend! His sons work full time and have family responsibilities. His wife works full time. (Believe me... they have an abundance of money. AND... the national "Family Medical Leave Act".... was invented for situations like this.... where someone needs to take off from work.... to take care of a family member.)

DH and the man are friends. The wife and I are cordial.... but years and years go by.... without us running into each other.... or having reason to speak.

I am a person who has given MY family problems, by being "Too intrusive and involved"... in their lives BUT... I... very selfishly... want this friends' family.... to make HIS recovery..... a huge priority in their lives! I feel that he is getting weaker and weaker... by being unable to resume normal walking and such.... week after week. Mostly spending his time.... lying down. Alone.... and thinking about his age... anbd his injuries and diminishing strength.

I keep dh as "involved"... as possible.... with neighbors and friends... and outside events. But dh has always been a solitary, thoughtful" type. I want the best for him.... AND for this friend.... and I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening! Different ideas and thoughts... are always appreciated here!!!!

Thanks for being such good people.... and such good friends!

7. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Good morning!

I don't have to work today, because Phil's wife didn't have to go in after all. The hospital was slow, and it is over an hour away, so that was good for her. So I texted Stephen and said I wouldn't be able to send him any $$ for a couple of weeks. Phil will call me later with the next working days. Next week they are going to VA, so I won't be there either. At least I get to see NCIS all day today! lol

I didn't have anything planned for today, so I know one thing I will do is rest and tidy up around here. Empty the trash. Make some chicken salad before the chicken goes bad. I bought some grapes yesterday, so I will put some grapes and maybe some pecans in the chicken salad. Sounds good on a hot day.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today. My hands are really hurting this a.m. I see some dish washing in the near future. :0)

8. Pam Spaur

SN, we were posting at the same time. I do appreciate your dilemma. One of the reasons I keep contact with N is that he is 70 now (I'm a sweet young 66), and so independent. When I see him or talk to him, I can assess how he is. Men are SO stinkin' stubborn...except our MHH guys. lol

Seriously, tho, have you thought about contacting your friend's children? Maybe the parents are not being completely honest with their family. Could some of the gentleman's friends go see him? Get him to walk around the grounds? Have an ice cream cone? Take him for rides? Assist him in walking here and there? It is hard to know where that fine line of grey is where am I butting in or being a caring friend. I vote for the caring friend. I would also say that your friend is probably depressed. This happens with a lot of older people. Maybe your dh could pick up a mutual friend or two to go see this gentleman once or twice a week.

Just some thoughts from the big empty space in my head.

9. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Well-Known Member

Good morning all. Been so busy. We moved my dad to a dementia care unit. The bad part for us is that it is 3 hours away. However, it is by my sister so that is a good thing. You just go from seeing them every day to when will I see them again?? He is not doing to good which is the reason we had to do the drastic measures. The homes around here with dementia care units are all full. Not all nursing homes have dementia units. We have learned so much.
    On the brighter side of life, we celebrated dgs's 15th birthday last night. It was good.
    We have VBS Pre- enrollment tonight at church. VBS starts next week. I am not ready yet, but will get there.
    SN I agree with Pam on your issue. I know it is hard and sometimes comes on suddenly. Three weeks ago my dad was driving and now he is a different person. He will be 87 next week.
    Pam and Jess hope you both enjoy your day.
    Lana, I am so sorry to hear you have poison ivy. I know the discomfort that comes with it. Hope it eases soon.
    To all those to come later hope you have a great day.

10. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Good morning everyone!

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood....61 and sunny for now, with highs in the low 70s. Our boy has left us for the day to go fishing with my dad. H loves fishing and is always willing to go, but my dad can be a bit too much for him to handle sometimes. My dad doesn't parent the way we do, so H gets uncomfortable when my dad isn't patient with him, or criticizes him(can't you cast right?, doesn't your dad teach you how to fly fish? (no...he doesn't fly fish)) or us. Some day he'll tell my dad...just has to come from him because my dad doesn't get it when I tell him to back off or explain why H doesn't want to fish with him for 12 hours. Say a prayer for my boy...thanks!

Miss M has plans to watch a movie at noon. I am going to pull out my scrapping stuff and get to work on adding to H and M's individual albums. Otherwise, it will be a quiet day. We're planning Family Movie Night...to start at 7, watching Oz the Great and Powerful.

Lana~It's great that Danielle won, but I think she would have had a career even if she hadn't. I wish the brothers would have won...they were awesome too.

Lucie~hope work goes quickly for you!

PamG~glad the vet bill wasn't too bad! Your CIJ plan sounds great!

Pam~love grapes and walnuts in my chicken salad...yum!

SN~nice to see you posting. Does your friend's wife see how he is struggling? Does she attempt to engage him? DO you have a Senior Life in your area? If his family isn't willing to step in, Senior Life will take him to the center....engage him in activities....all the while aiding in his rehabilitation. Sometimes children don't want to see what is happening to their parents...kwim....so they act like it's a small setback when in reality they don't know the full impact. Is your husband visiting him? Does his have a rapport with the friend's children....could he mention something?

ETA~I added classroom pix to my blog....

Wishing you all a great day....

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  11. teachermomof2

Debbie~sorry to hear about your dad.

12. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Good morning all! It's sunny in KC and going to be in the mid- 80's. A great day to be camping.

SN - tough situation. I'm wondering if all the gentleman friends couldn't set up some sort of a rotating visitation or if something like what Pam has going with Phil couldn't be worked out. Is there any sort of work this fellow could get involved with - seated non-stressful stuff that would get him out of the house...
    Jess - I'm sure that everything will come together in time for you to leave
    Lisa - great classroom! I'm sure you'll do great things with it.
    PamG - isn't it something how dogs can give you those looks!
    Pam - a quiet day is in order
    Lucie - enjoy the sun
    Debbie - good wishes going to you and your Dad

May do some shopping today before we move on tomorrow. Also planning to try a chicken recipe i my crock pot...

13. AnnieClaus

AnnieClaus Active Member

Hey all! Happy Wednesday!

PamelaG- The Carol study sounds good and interesting- a perfect Christmas in July thing to do! Glad DDoggie is doing better!
    Doodlebug- Thoughts with your dad! It's so very hard!
    Lana- Hope the poison ivey clears up soon!
    Lucie- Thanks for the link on those exercises!
    Pam- Your chicken salad sounds good!
    Jess- Busy day for you!
    halimer- The trip sounds great!
    Lisa- Love the classroom! Saw Karla was on the boat. Has she settled in with the family now?

Good day for those yet to check in!

SparkleNana- If the family is too busy- can they hire a care taker? As you know, we have care takers that come in to be with my mom. Gives my dad a break. We did not go through a "Care Taker Business." These businesses often charge the family A LOT and pay the care giver A LITTLE. We put ads in the paper and interviewed, asked for finger print cards and licenses.

My mom will be having that battery changed out tomorrow. She really can't do anything at all without that battery working!

Work for me. It's my rest day from working out. I really like the 2 days on, one day off routine. But when my small group starts back up- I won't be able to work out on Wednesdays. Kind of bummed.......
    I am planning on Vespers this evening.

I'm going to Phoenix (will visit my mom on the way there and back) for the weekend and want a bathing suit cover up. So, will look at Target and Wal*Mart- has anyone seen any anywhere??

That's it from AZ!

Love and wishes to all!

Annie

14. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Afternoon!
    The morning just flew by! so busy. won't be going out at noon, will surf the net & read. DS's car broke down this morning. DH had to go get him & bring him to work.

ttyl

15. Pam Spaur

Hi again.

I remembered that I have an open house to go to this afternoon. Our former apartment staff have both left, and this is a good bye party. I'm standing in the shower, and thought, "Holy crap! I need a gift for each of them." Money being tight, I'm frantically searching my brain (maybe I should say FOR my brain!) for what to do! I said to myself, "Self, go look in the living room closet!" So I did. And lo and behold, hallelujah and praise the Lord! I found some things. I have a jar candle, some wax melts and a candle warmer, and a leftover gift that was to go to Jay's soon to be ex. All I need now are a couple of gift bags and cards. I'll run to dollar tree for those things, and I'm good to go. I'd better go dry my hair and get busy! See ya later.

16. piratemamaof3boys

piratemamaof3boys Well-Known Member

Hi ladies just getting, on here. I didn't read post yet but wanted to say Hi. I"ll catch up tonight. I got my run in this morning and went to bake a cake for something i have today. The batter tasted bad, strange, so I had to run out and get another one. One of the kindergarten teachers is having a get together today so I made a butterfinger poke cake and some bacon/cheese dip (aka crack per the plain chicken blog). I am about to leave as soon as I find some shoes to put on.

Hope the rest of today goes well for each of you. I'll read up and type more later tonight.

17. Pam Spaur

Went to Dollar Tree and the open house. I only stayed a few minutes. I knew I would get all choked up if I stayed longer. Kind of like I am now. I am just so very sad.

If the Lord lays it on your heart, please remember Jay for the next couple of days. His soon to be ex is to come and get her stuff or send her boys to get it either tomorrow or Friday. I told him I would come if he needed me to. He just wants it all to be over with. And so does his family. This, too, makes me very sad.

Well, I got two new books at the dollar tree. I finished the one I bought Sunday at the flea market, so it is time for something else. I've gotten several good books from DT.

It is a beautiful day out today. I might just go back out to enjoy some of it. Could read my book, maybe. It's just that my balcony has no shade. And the sun is very hot and I am out of SPF. I hope YOU get to enjoy it.

18. good afternoon/evening everyone!

hope everyone is having a fantastic day so far..weather here has been gorgeous all day..got loads done today,cut the grass,washed the car,painted the fence...all the dinner dishes are washed and put away,we had beef olives,potatoes and sweetcorn..twins are bedded,they both woke at 2am last night and came through asking for there breakfast..i said its still night time girls they both turned around and went straight back to bed..well i say straight back to bed,they went to there room and started playing with there toys..so i"m abit tired this evening going to have an early night...have a great day everyone..

doodlebug-sorry to hear about your dad..our thoughts are with you and your dad...

19. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the concern about my dad. We had just added on to our house 6 months ago for him to live out his life here. Little do we know the course life has in store for us.

20. teachermomof2

Good afternoon....

Have not scrapped yet...since it's so nice, I've been working on cleaning the windows. The upper windows still need cleaned with a ladder from outside, but dh can take care of that tonight or tomorrow evening for me. I did a load of laundry, made a hair appointment, much overdue and luckily I got in for this evening, baked a pound cake and did the usual picking up, along with my ab exercises.

Pam~will keep you and Jay in my prayers.
    Hi FtSM!
    Shannon~good job on the run. I am so hungry for dip-type stuff, but my family doesn't eat it unless there is a party going on it seems.

Have a great afternoon!