Wednesday October 30th 2019

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luludou, Oct 30, 2019.

1. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Morning!
    Halloween2.jpg

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  2. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

Morning Luludou and all who follow,

Still feeling miserable here. I'm getting a max of 2-3 hours sleep each night which isn't helping.

Kids are excited for Halloween. Just had a notice from the school ensuring no one wears costumes tomorrow.....is that a thing now? When I was a kid we all dressed up and had a party at school. I'd already bought the costumes. (They need different ones for being inside since our Halloweens tend to be so cold they generally need to be something very warm.)

Anyways, hope everyone has a great day.

1 day until Halloween and 56 days until Christmas!

Luludou - Love the jack-o-lantern!

Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.
  3. p.a.

p.a. Active Member

Morning everyone,,,,
    Going to be a very wet snowy Halloween here. I know my grandkids won't mind though,,,they are so excited. As they get older the excitement grows....can't wait for Christmas, they will be bouncing. Between September and December all 3 have their birthdays, Halloween and then Christmas.. with the youngest birthday a week before christmas day...I feel like it's nonstop...lol.
    Frosty Shimmer last year my dgd was able to wear a costume but moved schools this year and this school didn't allow them. They have orange and black spirit day instead. Depends on schools policies. Does your school have newsletters? It helps the first year when you aren't sure about policies.
    The kids also have agendas where you can communicate with the teacher each day.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  4. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Morning!

Laundry day for me. Ugh. And it has been raining. Double ugh! I hope to be home by two, but at the rate I am moving, I will be lucky to make it by noon tomorrow! This weather is not being nice to my old body. How rude!

I get to see my Rocky today. That is what makes it all better. He is the sweetest dog on earth.

I am not even dressed, so I had best get busy. Watched the Nats beat the Astros last night. Good game. I was really proud of the team. Tonight will decide who wins the World Series. Go Nats!

And now it must be GO PAM! Hope you all have a great day. Stay safe and be blessed! TTYL!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  5. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

They have newsletters, but they haven't sent one out yet this year. My girls do have agendas, but I never thought to ask because I'd just thought it was a given. So much has changed since I was a kid. They don't correct or grade anything now either...it's about doing, not about judging. Every assignment is optional because no one should be forced to do anything they don't want to. Such a different world then when I was a kid!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  6. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

We have rain today I think. The ground is wet anyway, maybe storms at some point. I hope so, that would be nice. I have my dental cleaning this morning. It was supposed to be tomorrow but they called and said something about closing the office, not sure why, and asked if I could come in today instead. They called when I was at my mom's and wanted me to come in too. Wonder what the deal is. I think I need to change offices. The main dentist left and a lot of patients left because they did a big staff changeover. I don't like the hygienist that i've had the past few times, mine that I loved left. I think i'll start asking around. I need to switch the kids to somewhere closer too.

Nothing else planned for today. I would like to actually work on schoolwork today and get my dresser decluttered and get that checked off my list.

FS- It depends on where we live at the time if the kids get to wear their costumes for a period at school. They don't get to wear them all day, but typically they can bring them and put them on at the end of the day for a party. I'm not sure about Eli's new school though, nothing has come home about it. DD said that at the Middle School one kid from each homeroom gets to dress up and compete in a contest, which seems stupid to me, why not let all the kids dress up and then decide which one gets to compete. We all used to dress up and have a costume parade when I was young and a party. Hope you start feeling better soon! On a separate note, our schools grade everything, not like that here at all.
    p.a.- Ah, snow...I wouldn't want it on Halloween, but boy do I miss it.
    Pam- Have fun seeing Rocky!

Enjoy your day!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  7. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! My dgkids' schools have not been like that at all with grades. Dsil gets texts all day long as things are graded. They have always worn costumes to school in Halloween- but no masks. I don't know the plan tomorrow.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  8. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Hello. It was 34 deg this morning when I walked to neighbor's house. So glad I washed my winter coat yesterday - it feels pretty good.

Neighbor is sleeping; and I've been listening to Dr. Phil, texting with dd #2 and stitching together plastic canvas cubes. Dd #2 is raising her dgs who will be 3 in a couple days. Her dgs is ready to be potty trained but there are no men in the family to show how it's done (and she had 3 girls), so they have fire hose issues and heaven help whoever is in the fire zone. It felt good to laugh.

Have a great day!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  9. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

It's been in the news quite a bit in the last week or so - schools cancelling Halloween because it's not inclusive - some groups do not celebrate Halloween - and also because it's become a social equality issue with some children coming from households that do not have the means to purchase costumes. It's sad really because when you think about it, there are low-cost, even no-cost, ways to come up with a costume but I guess households that lack the funds perhaps also lack the will to even try.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  10. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Hello there!

It's been a pretty slow day so far. I'm doing some busy work - updating the managers' phone list for the time we will be closed between Christmas and New Year. I stayed up later that usual last night and I was feeling it this morning, literally needed some matchsticks to hold my eyelids open! Talked to our property manager about selling the house and he said our tenant was hoping to lease for another year, talked to Vic and we decided to go ahead with another lease. The tenant is thrilled and he even told our property manager that he might be interested in our house. Win-win-win, that would be WONDERFUL! Fingers crossed it all works out in 2021.

Worked my way through the to-do list I emailed myself last night and felt such a sense of accomplishment as I crossed things off one by one. I didn't get to a blog post for Tuesday on Monday night so last night I whipped out a Tuesday post and then scheduled a Wednesday one as well. May that trend continue!

I've decided to take all the big jobs I have on the back burner and break them into small manageable pieces each evening. If I can sort and label 25 photos each night, and once they are all cleaned up, then sort and label as soon as I transfer them from my phone, my photo files will stay current. If I can clean up one page of the password book, clean out one folder from the lateral file, and work on one day in my scrapbooking, I should get to the point where the backlog is gone and I can just work forward. We'll see how it goes.

Hope you're having a great day - frosty everywhere this morning, almost time to move up to the warmer coat.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  11. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Change of plans in my day. Instead of painting cleaned out the kitchen cupboards. We need a major grocery shop and it was a good time to do it since the cupboards were so bare. I have issues with dishes. Too many. Some were gifted to me from mom and I feel guilty thinking about giving them away. However, they are very heavy and I have all white Corelle dishes that will go with anything. I am missing a few pieces to make a complete set but can purchase them individually. I will keep them I guess and get rid of the other set. I through out some pieces already because they were chipped. I also, have a set of 12 Christmas snack dishes. Mug and small plate. I had gotten some matching solid color plates to use for meals but I will get rid of them after Christmas, as some of them are chipped too. Less stuff to move when the time comes.

One of my favorite Christmas movies is on at 5 central time (daylight saving) on Lifetime. A Christmas Kiss. I am done for then and enjoying a cup of hot cocoa while watching. I may also start on my Christmas cards.

Jessica, hope all goes well at dental office, and you can make a big dent in the schoolwork. Are you able to see your math test you took earlier and see where you need to brush up?
    FS, Every school is different. When I worked in a school, any student that didn't celebrate holidays stayed home for the day.
    GrammaDeb, I had a friend who taught her son to take everything off and sit on the toilet backwards and to hold it down.
    Pam- I remember my days of going to the laundry mat and filling machines. In good weather I would bring it home and put it on the landlord's clothes line for the day.
    p.a. we have snow in our forecast in Northern IL for Halloween too.
    Lucie, I am guessing that the move is on. Hope all goes well.

12. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Back from the dentist and got a good report! DH was supposed to have a luncheon today but it got cancelled so he asked if I wanted to do something. I said sure but we would have to go early because Eli has early release. When I said early I meant go at 11. He hasn't left work yet and it's 11:15. By the time he gets home and we actually get somewhere, it'll be too late unless we do fast food. I would rather just wait and go out to dinner one night. :rolleyes:

Deb- I always gave the boys something to aim at, like a Cheerio in the water. haha Eli sat to pee for a very long time and I didn't care one bit.
    Pamela- Glad the tenant is wanting to lease for another year and then may be interested in buying the house.
    Jody- Good plan for decluttering the dishes, get rid of anything you are not actually using. There is no reason to hold on to those things. Unfortunately I can only see my score and a percentage maybe on certain areas, they don't share specifics for fear of cheating since it is a Praxis test.

13. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning dear friends,
    Halloween here, still not a big deal here in Australia but getting bigger every year. I have a pumpkin bowl full of wrapped fun size chocs and lolly pops ready to go just in case. I think the young girl across the road may come over but our street is mainly older people so may not have anyone.

I am off to mum's today to wrap the stockings. We use Santa sacks so they are quite large, we wrap about half the items. By the end of today we will have wrapped 10 stockings, we will then know if we need to purchase much more. Exciting times.

Best get moving,
    Have a great day all.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  14. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Happy Halloween Eve!

It's raining here now....looks like rain, heavy rains and storms, throughout the day and evening tomorrow. Most areas have changed trick or treat to Saturday afternoon. Our township had tot on Sunday, so no worries here. Our school party is on Friday....:rolleyes:...rain should be over but it will be a cool 41*. This will be my first Halloween since the consolidation....I've been off the last two years on party day. The kiddos are so wound up. They will be so disappointed about trick or treat not happening tomorrow. We have them bring costumes on Friday....if they don't have one, the office provides one. I'd rather just do a harvest party, but it's not my decision.

I've been awake since 5. J had to leave early for work. That means the dog goes out and barks, routines are disrupted, etc....so needless to say, I'm ready for bed. We just finished carving pumpkins. I did a ghost, M did a sugar skull design and J did glasses and a mustache. They look cute.

That's about it for me. Just wanted to say hello....
    peace and blessings~

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  15. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Evening!

It has been cold and rainy all day. Yuck! When I left DD's house, Rocky decided to stay in the garage and NOT go out in that rain again. I took a couple of pictures of him and posted them on Facebook. Oh, how I love this Furbaby! We have a very special bond, and it gets stronger all the time. I have three grand dogs and one grand cat, but Rocky is my favorite.

I am cold. Need to put on a sweater. I am watching the final game of the World Series. Go Nationals! Hey, it is 8:30, and I have not eaten supper yet. Better find something. Probably peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Had a nap when I got home. Not too much sleep last night. Did not make it to the cable store today. Maybe tomorrow. I am too tired to even think about it!

Have a nice rest of your evening. Sleep well.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  16. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone.

It was raining cats and dogs when it was time for our church wiener roast to be going on, so we had it in the fellowship hall. For the weather, we didn't have a bad turnout. It started raining last night around 7 and has rained off and on since. I poured 2.25 inches of rain from the rain gauge at 7:30 tonight. We're running the a/c right now because it's in the 70s. Tomorrow night, I think it's supposed to be in the 30s. Got to love Louisiana weather!

I'm taking off the first half of the day tomorrow. I have several things I need to do in Monroe. I'm going into work at 1:00. It's busy at work, but is only going to get busier. They still don't have our therapy rooms finished. We're using four rooms on the doctor's hall three days a week. I have a new therapist coming in Friday to train and another to shadow.

Hope you all are resting well.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  17. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Was up way to early this morning. Guess the dogs had Dh up, they saw something outside so starting barking. I closed the blinds on the windows this evening. I was in my car by 7 and on my way.

Once at Mayo I went straight up to my check in point on the 17th floor of the Gonda building. Then headed for the bathroom. They called my name before I was finished. I also figured the hand doctor would expect me to wash my hands. lol

Then I was shown into my exam room. The Fellow came in to run by questions and do an exam. As she was leaving she mentions my Dr was running a little late. A little late was 2 hours. I finished the book I was reading and started another before the Dr came him. I am set up for surgery this Friday. Then I headed over to Victorias for lunch. It was super busy but the hostess went ahead and took my order. No need for me to look at the menu. The bus lady came with my gluten free roll. My Salmon salad came in record time. I had an enjoyable lunch with all the time I wanted. I people watched and ease dropped on the conversations. Nothing exciting except on lady was explaining she once shook up a toner cartridge for a copy machine. The lid was off so she had toner all down one side of her including in her hair. Made me laugh.

I picked up a very cute outfit at BabyBaby shop. Now to get it in the mail. I have outfits to mail to my niece too. I order her son a Hess truck on Nov 1 so her daughter is getting several cute outfits.

Once home I had all the little jobs that no one seems to know need to be done. Fill the dogs water, clean up the kitchen, and I was home to feed the dogs at 4pm. Then LC22 arrived to help with DD.

I cancelled taking the puppy to the vet tomorrow and changed the date for the refrig to arrive to next week. Now Friday is clear for my surgery. I have to wait until after 8pm tomorrow to call for a time for surgery. Hoping it's not something like 5 a.m. which would mean we have to leave here at 2:30 to get there on time. At least there won't be much traffic. So hoping it's later.

The surgery will clean out the end joint in my right index finger, then they will put pins in to hold the tip of the finger to the bone of the next part. Hopefully the two pieces will heal together. If not the tip will just be there. He said some people like that better than not being able to bend it at all. Once healed I have to go back in for the pins to be removed since he puts then under the skin instead of sticking out. Dr also said the arthritis is bad in several of my other fingers. So I figure I might be doing this surgery a few times in the future.

Night all and Happy Halloween. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your Halloween costumes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  18. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Diedra, sounds like painful surgery. Praying all goes well and heals quickly.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  19. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

A good day here. Mum and I wrapped 11 stockings so they are done! I need to get a few more things, mainly bottled water. Mums stocking is not a full as usual so might see if I can find a few more things.
    We had a few groups of trick or treaters through. Mainly older kids/teenagers. They were polite and happy with the choices we had. We have a bit left over but that is fine, we were all finish by 7.

Bed now, up early for grand dog to be dropped off so that I can take all dogs to the groomers.
    Night all,

Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.