What Are You Reading Right Now?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Have you ever spotted a book at a book store it intrigues you but you don't buy it. And then you can't get it out of your mind?!

Last weekend, I went to a book store and spotted a book that was so peculair and unique. I thought, "Hmmmm......." and put it down.

And then obsession set in. I couldn't get it out of my mind.
I searched for it online and couldn't find it (I hadn't written down the title-note to self- always write down interesting looking books). I finally called the bookstore and told the clerk where I had seen it. He, (very sweetly) went and found it for me. Now with title in hand, I ordered it. I would have returned to the store to purchase it but that store is in Phoenix and I live some 170 miles from there.

The book came in, and my obsession with it has made me put down Grapes of Wrath and begin this, mere 100 page book.

It is called The Light Boxes by Shane Jones.

Very odd little story. It is about a town where it is always February- cold, dark and wintry.
Some of us at MHH would like living there!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I am reading Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs. So far it seems like a good book.

This book started a little slow but then I didn't want to put it down. It's a GREAT book.

I love the way the title and authors name is posted on this thread so we can look them up if we choose.

I'm currently reading Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand. This is also a very good read.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Finished From Dead to Worse by Charlaine Harris and am getting ready to start Dead and Gone.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just picked up a Creed Country Christmas by Linda Lael Miller. I have had it on order for a while from the library. Hopefully will get to read some over the weekend

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hi Ladies, I just finished The Soduku Mystery by Shelley Freydont, which was Great, she is an excellent writer. PirateMama of 3 Boys, glad you enjoyed the book I recommended. I was looking for some others by her also, Midsummer murder, High Seas Murder, and Father's Day Murder but they have to be ordered from another Library, which is o.k. by me. Maybe I'll order the Father's Day one being it's June & I'm trying to keep with each season. I have a long Booklist also Oprah's to read, has anyone read any of her books, If you need some titles and authors write to me & I'll give you some. Minnie, An Irish Christmas, who is it By? It sounds like one I'd like to read.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I went to order Father's Day Murder from my library. They had two by different authors. I ordered both. Authors: Lee Harris and Lesile Meier.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I finished The Light Boxes- what a wierd, wierd little book.

Back to Grapes of Wrath!

Annie

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I am reading...About That Man by Sherryl Woods. It's part of the Trinity Harbor Chronicles. It's a cute story.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just finished Creed Country Christmas by Linda Lael Miller. It was a very good, fast read and I really enjoyed it. I will look out for more books from her.
I am now onto Mail Order Bride by Debbie Macomber. I really enjoy her books and I am looking forward to starting this one.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've finished Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris and am now reading The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman. It's kind of strange but interesting nonetheless.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I have finished "29 Gifts...How a Month of Giving can Change your Life" by Cami Walker. It is a fabulous book and I recommend that everyone read it. You may feel at this point on your life you have nothing to give...this shows you that you do no matter what...I am ordering a few copies for friends for Christmas this year...and maybe each of my DIL's.

I am presently reading the 5th in the Scrapbook series by Laura Childs..."Frill Kill". I have never read mysteries before and really enjoy them...these are special because they all take place in New Orleans and talk alot about the food, parties, and genuine fun these people have...in addition to giving tips on scrapbooking and other craft ideas including some recipes
for southern cooking. Good, good reading!!!

Jinglewhale

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
Reading Debbie Macomber's "A Good Yarn". Love her books!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The Mail Order Bride by Debbie Macomber was very good. It was a very easy read and I enjoyed it. I am now reading the Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. Not bad so far.

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman and have started Turtle Moon by the same author. The library emailed and said that the last Charlaine Harris was now available so I need to go pick that up and it's only a 7 day checkout so i'll have to read it immediately. It's Dead in the Family.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Aren't libraries the most amazing place in the world? Where I live and I assume that it is the same in most places, I look up the catalogue, order a book and sometime later it appears. All I have to do is pick up the book when they let me know that it is ready. All this and it is FREE
I just think that we are so lucky to have a library system like ours.

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hi Ladies, I went to the Library & got out 4 Books. I took out Summer House by Nancy Thayer, but couldn't get into it, so I'm returning it Tomorrow. I did Start A Home in MMitford, by Jan Karon, So Far So Good. On Fri, Rudy Day I will stop reading that book and spend the Day with Louisa May Alcott, book of 120 Pgs. I can read that in one day, I figured it's short enough for Rudy Day. Will let you knowhow it is.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am still reading the 2 economics type books I mentioned previously (mainly concentrating on Matt Cooper and Shane Ross, although I have 2 others I am going to get through too).

But I also am going through my little library of romances beside the bed (they are easy reads to help me get to sleep) - re reading a number of favourites at the minute.

But I also got a book from the "Book Swop Club" bookshelf at work last week as I had nothing to read and wanted something Not CURRENT AFFAIRS for the bus journey home when I was particularly late one night - an intriguing tale so far! It's "The Shakespeare Secret" by J L Carrell, and while I don't have a lot of time to read it, it has gripped me so far. A proper intriguing murder mystery (somewhat Dan Browne, of the Da Vinci Code and others, ish, but I enjoy those once well written - I got bored of DB ob the 4th book, but that was perhaps an overdose all at once).

DH is on the 3rd book of the "Millenium Girl" trilogy by the Swedish writer (don't ask me details) but I know "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is one of the titles. He is LOVING that trilogy and he hadn't been reading much for a couple of years for time reasons mostly.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just finished Debbie Macombers latest book called Hannah's List. I thought it was a really nice book. I read it in about 2 nights so quite an easy read. I really enjoyed this one.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris and that was the last one in the series so far.

I also finished Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman, great read!

Now i'm reading A Touch of Dead by Charlaine Harris. It's an in-between book, more like a collection of in-between stories. Next up is Second Nature by Alice Hoffman.

Status
Not open for further replies.