What are your budget categories for making your Holiday Budget?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Have been working on my budget and trying to make sure I can avoid as many unexpected expenses as possible.

I'd love to hear what some of yours are!

Some of Mine:

Gifts/Wrap
Tree/Decor
Clothes
CHristmas Eve PJs for kids
Christmas Eve food/drink
Haircuts in Nov
Christmas Tree festival
Travel
Postage for long distance gifts

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Christy - Great list!

In addition to yours I have a category for "Holiday Tips" and "Charitable Giving".

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I have a line for Christmas Baking Supplies, a line for Christmas meals (we usually splurge on a Honey Baked Ham) and a Misc. line because it seems we always have unexpected expenses.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We don't have a budget. We just get what we need, when we can. Usually i get things well ahead of time, and when they are on sale.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I need to do a budget for everything EXCEPT the gifts. We are cutting back.... AND I have already done the gift shopping. (No... I'm not organized..... just Christmas obsessed!)

FIRST..... I need to look at last year's utility bills and figure out how hard we are going to be hit this time.

Then: special foods. My family HATES to plan in advance. However... we usually end up having Christmas Day here. And... I need to think about entertaining.

And... hostess gifts for holiday parties.

Tips: cash for trash collectors, recycling people, mailperson, newspaper delivery people, and any others I forget.

Mailing costs for gifts to relatives far away.

Money for the week BETWEEN Christmas and New Year's.... when impromptu amusements pop up.... such as.... do you want to go to the movies? Out to brunch? Whatever.

PLUS.... money for the after-Christmas sale at Pier 1.... in late January.

Last edited: