What do we forget to clean?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
you actually put them in a trash bag, splash with ammonia, loosely close and leave outside overnight...the next day they are supposed to scrub clean easily. I bought the ammonia but haven't tried it yet.

I've tried this and it's not quite as "magic" as it's supposed to be if they are really grungy (mine were), but if they are lightly soiled, you should get the "magic." I did it several times and mine still had some grunge on them. That being said...it does work. It's inexpensive, so give it a try! Instead of trash bags, I used the 2 gallon zip storage bags.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Jane - Hmmm...good to know! Mine aren't really bad, I keep spot cleaning them, so maybe this would work for me - waiting for better weather to try it!

While cleaning during the day this weekend I spotted cobwebs, COBWEBS!!! Aack! - underneath my kitchen cabinets over the counters! Ugh! There were also traces up on the walls in between one of those cabinets and the range hood! Swiffer duster made quick work of those!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Vacuum cleaners. I clean it a few times a year by cutting all the strings off the brushes and I run a cleaning brush down the tubes and hose. I check the wheels for string and hair that wraps around them. Once a year or two I take it apart to wash the rug brush roller and I rinse out the tubes and hoses. Monthly I change the bags.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So I was feeling pretty proud of myself...most of the first grouping of things listed I do...but THEN....THEN someone had to bring up the CAR!!! Okay..I'm horrible with my car. I tell people the story that when I was married to my first husband I'd blame him for all the junk in our car. About a year after our divorce I realized...Oh..he wasn't the issue...it's all MY junk..hahaha! TRUE STORY!

I'd also have to say my stove. I spill stuff all the time in side and don't use the auto clean setting very often. Honestly it's more because my brother lives with us and has breathing issues..and that causes a bad smell when it's dirty like mine..and then when he's gone I forget. Like this week everytime I cook dinner past 375 it starts smoking...well he was gone for a whole week and I should of cleaned it and didn't!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My oven stays pretty clean. I line most of my pans with foil and put them on a foil lined tray to catch any spills. This way only once or twice a year do I have to clean the oven. Then I do use the auto clean cycle.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I often forget to dust the following:

- Tops of light fixtures that are higher up on the wall (sconces, etc.)
- Tops of bathroom mirror frames
- Top of curtain rod (tip - once dusted, rub well with wax paper to make your curtain hooks glide better!)

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
AJ, will Windex remove "greasy" marks form kitchen tiles etc? I seem to get a lot of greasy build up and find it hard to remove.
I use Dawn dish washing soap for cutting through grease. It does a nice job in general. I also put a bit on my any oil spots that I get on my clothes when frying bacon or onions. I let it soak and then throw it in the laundry. As I write this, I realize that I should probably do myself a favor and wear an apron. :rolleyes:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I also put a bit on my any oil spots that I get on my clothes when frying bacon or onions. I let it soak and then throw it in the laundry
That's one of the tips I teach my students about stain removal for clothing. Most clothing stains are food based, and since dish washing liquid is formulated to remove grease and food stains from dishes, it will do the same thing for clothes.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I forget to clean under the toaster oven.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I use Dawn dish washing soap for cutting through grease. It does a nice job in general. I also put a bit on my any oil spots that I get on my clothes when frying bacon or onions. I let it soak and then throw it in the laundry. As I write this, I realize that I should probably do myself a favor and wear an apron. :rolleyes:

Great tip!!! Why did I never think of doing that ? LOL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Amazing idea. I will have to remember to apply a little dish washing liquid to those stains. We don't have Dawn here but I am sure most dw liquids will have grease cutting ingredients.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do a lot of cleaning with Automatic Dishwasher Gel. I buy the cheapest one they have for cleaning. It works really well on soap scum in the shower/tub and for soaking baked on foods off of pans.

Reactions: Minta

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Hmmm...I wonder if the dishwasher gel would work on the stove grates? Have you tried it Diedra?

Reactions: Minta

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Fill the sink or dish pan (or bath tub) with some water. Mix about a cup of gel in the water and let the grates soak. I have used it on my Grill grates but my stoves doesn't have any. I soak dirty casserole dishes with some water and a huge squeeze of gel. Once it soaks awhile it just rinses right out.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
For the oven grates .. I lay news paper outside , lay the grates on them and spray them with the fast acting oven cleaner. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes and grab a scrub brush and scrub away. Take them to the sink or tub and rinse off. I do the same for the grates on my outdoor grill.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Adding another area to my forgotten cleaning tasks! We have interior doors with inset panels, the bottom edge of each panel catches dust over time. Noticed when I was caulking/painting trim in one room this weekend - adding wiping these down to HGP list!

Also going to add recaulking around windows and touching up trim and wall paint to HGP - at least every other year I think. If I have the labeled cans of paint waiting in the utility room downstairs it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do touchups right out of the can. I need to write on the cans with sharpie - I've been keeping the paint swatch cards from when we built the house and referring to those - but the lables on the paint cans are hard to read - need to make it easier on myself!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
...If I have the labeled cans of paint waiting in the utility room downstairs it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do touchups right out of the can. I need to write on the cans with sharpie - I've been keeping the paint swatch cards from when we built the house and referring to those - but the lables on the paint cans are hard to read - need to make it easier on myself!
DH was helping some friends move yesterday and told me that they have small jars of paint on a shelf in their garage that are labeled with which room the paint is from. Easy touch-up! I thought it would be a good idea, too, to keep a picture of the label on the paint can for the color formula. Easy to just store the pictures on the computer. Our local Ace Hardware, where we buy our paint, also keeps a record of color formulas/rooms for us.​

Reactions: AuntJamelle