What do you do with plain glass X-mas balls?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
In honor of Christmas in July and in honor of LANA and her glass popcorn balls and remembrance balls, I thought I would start a thread for everyone to post in what ways they use, decorate, embellish, craft with, etc... plain glass Christmas ornament balls?

So- what do you do with or have seen done with these inexpensive ornaments?

Please post even if it is not necessarily Christmas related ( like Lana's remembrance balls).

Of course- photos, links and/or directions are a super duper most appreciated plus!

Maybe we can come up with 101 Ways to Jazz Up Glass Balls!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
I've done these with my great nieces and nephews. The parents loved them :)

http://teacherhelpers.homestead.com/WinterHolidays.html

Snowman Ornament
1.) Get a blue glass (or plastic?) bulb ornament.
2.) Paint the child's hand with white craft paint.
3.) Have them grasp the bulb to make a handprint.The fingers are the snowmen, and the palm is the snow.
4. I sprinkled them with white fine glitter.
5.) Have kids draw on the snowman details...I'm using sharpies, I hope they work...

Here's the poem:

These aren't just five snowmen,
As anyone can see
I made them with my hands
which are a part of me.
So now each time you see them
You'll look back and recall
Christmas of 2008, when my hand was just this small.

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
I put them in a flower pot with soil, moss, tiny house, etc. They become gazing balls in a miniature garden. :)

I also put several in a clear glass bowl, and add in some battery operated Christmas lights for a centerpiece.

hollybow

Retire Member
May 19, 2008
or you can make snowflakes with glue on them and add white sparkles and let dry..

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sunshine, I saw that ideal in one of my Gooseberry Patch books and told my boss about it and she did it with her 1 1/2 year old grandson last Christmas. Was so CUTE!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
This is great! I was just thinking about the clear glass ones!

Great ideas for the shiny ones too! Sunshine that little gazing balls idea is so neat!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I put them in a flower pot with soil, moss, tiny house, etc. They become gazing balls in a miniature garden. :)
This would be great for a fairy garden!TFS!
Such great ideas, everyone! Great thread!
I've just put paint in them and swirled it all around and put wishes for the New year in them-like a message in a bottle.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
little gazing ball ideal--neat.

After my dad died, my younger sister made these for all of us.
Using a glass ball and a white feather and then she attached this poem:

This is an angel feather,
Sent from God above,
to serve as a reminder,
of his gracious love.

It's from your guardian angel,
that God himself assigned to you,
And fell out in his struggles,
as he protected you.

Each time you almost stumble,
Each time you nearly fall,
Remember to,
Thank God and his angels,
for answering your call.

Also can be done on card stock and glue the feather on and put a magnet on the back.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
sunshine said:
I've done these with my great nieces and nephews. The parents loved them :)

http://teacherhelpers.homestead.com/WinterHolidays.html

Snowman Ornament
1.) Get a blue glass (or plastic?) bulb ornament.
2.) Paint the child's hand with white craft paint.
3.) Have them grasp the bulb to make a handprint.The fingers are the snowmen, and the palm is the snow.
4. I sprinkled them with white fine glitter.
5.) Have kids draw on the snowman details...I'm using sharpies, I hope they work...

Here's the poem:

These aren't just five snowmen,
As anyone can see
I made them with my hands
which are a part of me.
So now each time you see them
You'll look back and recall
Christmas of 2008, when my hand was just this small.

I do those with my class every year. They are a big hit with parents. I use blue plastic balls though because first graders seem to squeeze the glass ball too hard (despite being told not to ;-) ) and the blue makes a nice background.

Blessings,
Lisa ::eek:rnament:

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I usually don't like the plain glass balls, but I love those snowman and angel feather ideas.

I've seen the "stuffed with tinsel" idea done to match a person's favorite sports team with a little charm and tag to match.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My DD has used the glass balls and poured a small amount of white paint so it hits the bottom only and she moves it around just alittle so it is about 1/4th the way up the ball and she will put some of that mica snow (snow that sparkles and is in a bag) when it is dry. Sometimes she just puts the snow inside and no paint. Just a very small amount so it kinda clings to the glass. Then on the outside she will paint the building of a snowman. One bigger ball, then rotate alittle and will do 2 balls together and then rotate for 3 balls together and then on last rotation (or side) she will have the whole snowman with face and scarf.

She has also did where she had very little snow inside and then on 2 sides opposite each other she will do a full snowman with scarf, face and stick arms. I like these.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'll talk to my mom about this.... Dniece could make each of us (aunts & uncles) an ornament for our Christmas trees to remember her by when she will be gone...

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I guess I'm a purist in some ways, but I just love the plain colored shiney glass balls! I always use them to fill in on my trees when I need a little sparkle and color. But all the ideas listed are very nice,too.

I have some red glass balls that my late aunt crocheted on...each ball is a little different. She made these for us the year she died..she died in early December, so it was so touching to have her ornaments on our tree that year. They've been on one of my trees ever since.

Two years ago I found some lovely toile patterened wrapping paper-red background with white images. I used it for packages, but last year I didn't have enough left to wrap gifts with, so I carefully cut out the images and decopauged them on red glass balls. They were on my white tree in the kitchen and I tied them with wide, soft black satin ribbon. They turned out nice, I thought. I sure wish I could find some more paper like that!