when does everyone start to decorate for christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
So I pulled out the pre-lit Christmas tree because I knew the lights were not working on it. Hard as I tried I can only get one string to work. Has anyone here have that problem with their tree? Did you figure out how to fix it? My thought is if I can't get them to glow is to take them off and use my regular lights. Has any one done that with a pre-lit tree? DH would love to get a real tree but I like to keep the tree up for the whole month of December and they dry out so quickly no matter how much I water it. Any advise or experiences you can share?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have taken the lights off of MANY prelit things - including trees. Works fine! It's a pain to do though because they usually have them zip-tied on. Depending on what it is, I've been known to leave the old lights on and just pile new on top. Once I get a whole tree decorated with the mountain of stuff I use you can't really tell :oops:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually decorate the house the first weekend of December. The main tree will go up a weekend that we are all home together to decorate it. I'll do the other trees as I have time that first week of December. DH will probably hang outside lights over Thanksgiving weekend because hunting season begins and nothing happens until it's over!:rolleyes: I decorated for fall. I have nothing Thanksgiving out because we aren't hosting this year. I guess I will probably pull out the pilgrims and a turkey or two today.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I took out the Christmas-themed throw in the office-guest room today. Rearranged LR so it's ready to receive the tree. :) All Christmas music / Christmas movies are now in the LR and Christmas music has been playing all morning

Reactions: jollykelly

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I took out the Christmas-themed throw in the office-guest room today. Rearranged LR so it's ready to receive the tree. :) All Christmas music / Christmas movies are now in the LR and Christmas music has been playing all morning
I am jealous!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Told Mr. Grinch I want the Christmas stuff down from the attic... pfffff... had to say I wouldn't put it up right away... will start with small touches ;)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My tree is in the living room. Looks nice when I turn it on and it turns around.

Reactions: Lana

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I ended up taking the lights off the tree. While doing so discovered that wires were separated in two different locations. (double strand one side cut somehow). I have an idea about using just clear and red lights on the tree. I got the idea from this
. I bought ribbon for mom's tree to do the crisis cross ribbon. I'll see how it goes with Mom's tree and may do mine that way. Mom's tree is all gold using her gold poinsettias and mine would be done with burlap type ribbon using pine cones or white poinsettias. Something to ponder...I do have bird ornaments I could use....

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, the tree looks lovely.
I am putting the tree in a new spot this year and I will need DH to move some furniture slightly. I will get him to do that next weekend so that when I am ready to decorated I can get started. Getting excited now.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
After supper tonight, Teigan, Allen and I put the tree up in the room she sleeps in. She finally said that is enough ornaments guys. Then you guys aren't good listeners. Looks so pretty with the lights off and seeing the lights. Big one won't go open till about a week from Monday. Or definitely that week.

Saw on FB that my sister was putting tree #2 up.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Our holiday planning is a little askew this year, my mom recently broke her hip and we will be driving to SC to spend Thanksgiving weekend with her. Then the second weekend of December, when we typically decorate for Christmas, we will be going back to her house for a family reunion (which has been planned since earlier this year). So this year I will start the week before and then put the tree up when we come home. After that I can focus on baking.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
It depends here. Traditionally its Thanksgiving I start however I have been known to start earlier. I am ready to start pulling stuff out however my BIL will be in Town and staying here Tues-Sun and it makes a huge mess when I pull stuff out (considering its in a cubby in my closet) so I will have to wait till he leaves.
However I am changing my bedding to my snowflake cover and my village stays up year round on a high shelf, i just cut the lights off. Today I am replacing burnt out bulbs and turning that back on. Getting little things done.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
All Christmas tubs have been taken down from the attic and are in the basement. Have emptied 3 boxes yesterday. Tree will go up next weekend (waiting for ds's girlfriend to help as she wants to be here). However today I plan to put up lots of stuff everywhere. Decorating has been started !

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
have had my bathroom decorated for christmas . did my dining room and working on my living room now. will put up the tree this weekend

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I generally decorate the first week in December. I may start a little earlier this year since I am off work for a bit.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tree will go up on Saturday, and will decorate all weekend until it is done. I don't do as much as I used to so should not take too long,

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am still putting things out. Slow in making decisions. Wasn't in much of a mood to day to do to much decorating. Tomorrow will do more and get the gifts I have wrapped. Will order gift tomorrow and print off the announcement for the last two. The experience in not available yet because it involves an amusement theme park and the park doesn't have their prices yet. I will call one more time before I print the announcement.

Blue Snowflake

MHH Member
Jul 12, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
I begin decorating my house for Christmas usually the first week of November. We normally have my husband's entire family over for Christmas dinner but we're not sure about this Christmas with Coronavirus and all. But regardless, I'm going to make this Christmas just as special as every other year. A new tradition my husband and I have decided to create this year is to put up and decorate 3 Christmas trees in the corner by our large living room window. It'll be our own little Christmas forrest. I absolutely can not wait for the holidays!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A new tradition my husband and I have decided to create this year is to put up and decorate 3 Christmas trees in the corner by our large living room window. It'll be our own little Christmas forrest. I absolutely can not wait for the holidays!
That sounds so pretty, what a wonderful tradition.
I am still deciding whether to go all out this year and be over the top with my decorating or to follow the theme this year which is to simplify.