Which Holiday Plan will you Follow this Year?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hello,
Hard to believe it's almost that time of year again. That's right, time to pick a plan. (Well, unless you're planning on doing the 6-week Christmas Countdown - then you've got a bit of time.)
I'm just curious which plan everyone is planning to use....or if you're going to follow one at all. It's nice to know that there are others doing the same one. Which is the most popular plan at this point?

Please weigh in: Which Plan will you be following this year?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am a HGP girl at heart :) When I first "found" the OC forums years ago and learned about the CC and the HGP, I was living in an apartment and longed for the days I would have a whole house to clean and organize and decorate for Christmas!

Haha...be careful what you wish for I guess! But seriously, the HGP is very familiar to me, I do not dislike Houseworks (is that the old name, now? so out of tune today!) but I just gravitate back to the HGP every year.

I have a my own master list of HGP tasks - created room by room throughout the length of the plan - customized for our home - all ready to go! I also follow the CC when that comes around and have folded those items into my master list as well.

Can't WAIT!!!! For me, when I step out on the front porch to start cleaning for the HGP is when I really feel that the Christmas season - for me anyway, lol - is beginning! So exciting!

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I really do like them all and because of my work schedule I do a mix. I always discover something in each one that just makes the whole season so much more fun and relaxing..one of the best suggestions I remember-and I don't remember from which plan-was to get the holiday wardrobe together early-that little gem has saved me from misery every year-with a middle school band director husband especially...no more throwing his tux in the dryer hoping to get the dog hair off it 5 minutes before his concert-LOL. Every plan is so incredibly helpful.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I like House and Holidays best. (Houseworks). One year beofre I was here I tried the HGP but found that it did not work for the layout of our home. I have tweaked it quite a bit for us and have added/ subtracted and moved weeks around. For example 2 of the weeks are for us school holidays- I move the week for DS's room to one of these. But we did a big clear out and reorganise of his room last holidays so not as relevant. I also try to move other things as school finishes for DS and all wrapping for this house- not what we give to others has to be finished and packed away early.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I will be doing the HGP this year. I also tweak it a bit, but I love kicking off the season with front porch week. For me it's an easy week and I start off with an accomplishment.

Kelly

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My house need some serious cleaning, I'll be doing the HGP this year. I usually have to start off a few weeks late because college starts for my daughter and trips and stuff like that, but this year I'm off work, so I'm curious if I'll follow through till the end. It might be exciting!

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
I do the HGP. I've tried the others but that one is best for me. I started it years ago when it was first posted and I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. If I find something that works for me, I stick with it also.

snowqueen

Premiere Member
Nov 1, 2007
Vermont
The OC site is changing a bit and the HGP is going to be on a new site. It begins on August 30th. If there are any changes, I'll print that one out. I've used the one I have since 1998!! I can't believe I've been following it for so long. I just kind of wished they came up with some more inspiring looking pages. I see other ones that are really cute but I prefer the format of OC. it is free and maybe I shouldn't be so choosey but Like I said, the look has been pretty much the same for 17 years.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I always think about it but never follow it. I have combined the two before but really neither work well for me. We don't have holiday guests or parties so a lot refer to that.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm pretty sure I've tried both but never stuck to one or the other and never followed through on either really. I am thinking about doing one this year but since we just moved into our house, there's not much to be done on that front. Like Shannon, we never have parties or guests so none of that applies either. When I get time i'm going to read through both and maybe pick and choose what I need or will work for me and pull those weeks/lists out and create a mix of both.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Home and Holiday (Houseworks). Just logged in to ramp up. *Takes deep breath of fresh air, laces fingers and stetches big* I do this plan because it lines up best with my FlyLady housekeeping schedule -- I'm working on similar areas at the same time.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I always do the Countdown, and I always print the schedules and calendars for the HGP, but never seem to really stick with it...I think I always got overwhelmed. This year I am going to try something different. I am only printing one week at a time and hopefully I will get some things on the list crossed off. We bought a house last December so this will be the first time in about 6 years (we've been renting) that I am excited about decorating and buying new things to put out. It's a small house so several of the rooms don't pertain to me, so I can use those weeks to just keep plugging along!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never followed a plan as I think I do pretty well with my own plan..

I do enjoy reading through them both and getting hints that may help with what I do. Always an exciting time off year, spring cleaning AND getting ready for Christmas, what could be better.?