Which kitchen do you think two little girls would prefer?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
If anyone would like to give their input, I'd appreciate it.

I've been debating getting the girls a kitchen. Their old baby one has fallen apart, and it was a toy that got a lot of use. With a third girl on the way, I'm sure a new kitchen would be a good investment. I found one that is very realistic looking, and one that is very "girly." The "girly" one has a washing machine under the sink.....which is weird....but on the other hand, I can see them wanting to pretend they are doing laundry.

Which do you think would be best for 2....and eventually 3 little girls to play with? (Price isn't an issue as I have a giftcard for a store here that would just about cover either one)

Realistic One:
https://www.amazon.ca/KidKraft-5326...qid=1473727986&sr=8-1&keywords=uptown+kitchen

Pretty One:
https://www.amazon.com/KidKraft-533...73728728&sr=8-1&keywords=sweet+treats+kitchen

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hi FrostyShimmer,

Both look cute. I have elementary and high school aged daughters and when they were little they loved to play house. That washing machine idea is cute. We had a child size wooden ironing board and a child size wooden drying rack that they hung their clothes on to dry. We also had a small wicker laundry basket for them. They would have loved that washing machine.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the pretty one for girls. We gave a silver one for a gift but I didn't see the pretty one at that time. Either will be loved. Silver will go with any deco.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I like the silver one- it looks stronger??? In Australia as houses grow smaller (land prices keep going up and up- the average Sydney house price is now 1 million- and Im only talking a very basic house for that) lots of people have washing machines in their kitchens now, Just as lots don't have dryers anymore.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I like the pretty one! I really love the Step 2 kitchens. They last and stay nice under heavy use. Have you looked at them?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I think I like the pastel one better but both are fantastic. we had a kitchen, and a washer/dryer module when dd was little... my brother now has them

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
There was one of those colorful ones in the Sears catalogue when I was small. I wanted it SOOOO bad! :)

I just showed the pix to my teen girls who spend a lot of time babysitting. One was torn - preferring the colors of the one but the realism of the second. The second one said she was weird and hands-down preferred realistic even when she was small.

How old are your girls? As an adult trying to manage a household, the realistic streamlined one would go better in the decor of our house. I also prefer the size of the fridge - the other one is too small. BUT as a child under 8 I think I would have wanted the colorful one because it would have gone with my dolls. Are your girls into dolls? I have had two friends that had colorful kitchens for their girls and they both kitchens lived in the closet. When it was playtime the closet doors were open; otherwise it was out of sight.

A few ideas:
1. Where will it be located in the house? Will you like having the colorful one your decor? If you prefer the silver one, can you just add bright accessories like tea pots etc to give it the colors that children like? Is there a colorful set of contemporary tools out there to go with it? (Ikea might have some stuff).
2. Maybe you can do a flyby with the girls and casually let them see pictures in magazines or something and see if they comment?
3. What kind of Easy Bake Oven do they prefer? Easy Bake comes in two color options - one is realistic and the other more colorful. That would tip you off!

Such fun stuff!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I'm leaning towards the girly one, and lucky me, it just went on sale $50 cheaper than the silver one.

The reviews are pretty good for both, but the silver one seems to have more reviews talking about broken or missing pieces. The pastel one has pretty much all good reviews, except that people say it is a pain to put together. But that's DH's problem :)

The pots and pans we have are all stainless steel, so that will make it look more grown up.

I haven't been able to see them in person as we don't have much in the way of stores where we live. DD5 likes one at the toy store that is white with red and blue knobs, but it is $399.....way out of my budget. She hardly ever asks for toys though. She has never really liked toys. She prefers to make things.....has a little toy sewing machine, a bracelet maker, etc. She doesn't even like to keep the things she makes....gets rid of them right away so her room is "nice and clean." The last toy she wanted was a little cleaning kit with a cloth, a squeegee, a spray bottle, etc. It was really overpriced for what it was, but we gave in and let her buy it because she'd accumulated about 3 years of Christmas money and hadn't spent any of it because she didn't really want anything.

My girls are 5...soon to be 6 and 3. We'll have another next month who will eventually be using it too.

The kitchen will be located in our playroom, so I don't have to worry so much about it fitting in with the rest of the house. We'll probably move in a year though, so I have not idea where it will be in our new place.

The girls definitely prefer the purple easybake, but it's DD5's favourite colour.

DD3 is all about dolls and stuffed animals and playing with babies. DD5 has never been too much into that stuff, but she did used to play with her old kitchen. I bought a really cheap plastic one that was so poorly made they couldn't even close the oven doors by themselves because you had to warp the plastic each time. It was also super lightweight and fell over if you tried to put anything on top of it. I've learned now that sometime it is worth paying a little extra for something of better quality.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I say girly...have fun!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I say go for the coloured one, better reviews, better price and is so cute. The girls will have a realistic kitchen when they are adults lol