Winter Wednesday January 30th 2019

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by luludou, Jan 30, 2019.

1. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Morning MHH World

2. luludou

Please stay home and stay warm if you are in the midst of that cold spell.

We only had about 3,5 inches of snow yesterday… so no snowstorm as they had predicted. A till more of the white crap this Morning …. just makes the road slippery EVERY day, has been like that for the last few weeks.

Did gym. Have postural-pilates at noon.

That's it for me, have a great day.

3. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Morning!

We are about -9. Could snow later and tomorrow night an icy mix. Week end is 54 59 and 63. Thunderstorm Sunday night, CRAZY!!! Teigan and Jaymees school both got called off yesterday for today. I will go to work and then my son works outside on a dairy farm. Our meeting did get cancelled last night. Feel sorry for the people who work outside. Trash pick up guys and all.

Nothing much going on here. Work, home and do it again. Jaymee is picking out lights for the house.

Think I will take grilled cheese and chili for dinner.

Everybody take care and stay warm! Have a GREAT day!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

It is COLD -23 with a real feel of -47. Schools are closed some closed tomorrow too! DS was hoping his car wouldn't start so he could work from home...it did and he is off to work. Temps will last until noon tomorrow forecasters say

I will continue the last of my major decluttering today and tomorrow hoping to finish by Thursday evening. Once I am started I can stay at it but it is the getting started...

Lana, tell Ryan thank you for me. Farmers just are not thanked enough. My brother works on a farm.
    Lucie, It is not fun to travel on snowy roads. Be safe.
    Jane, so sorry for you loss. Will you have to make up the lost school day? I am so excited for you in regards to your retirement.

Have a warm and productive day everyone.:)

5. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Morning all MHHers

Cold here too -30 with wind chills far below. This hopefully will be the once-in-a-generation chill they are all it.

Last night I dreamed we bought a new house. Had lots of windows and storage. I found a wheelchair that you could hitch a horse to it (watched The Crown last night with a wheelchair in it). The neighbor was over and noticed what looked like a red horse blanket. That actually was a red Santa Sack with a mitten embroidered in the center. She said it had belonged to her cousin Lana's family. Hey, I know Lana. So the cousin gave me directions to get to Lana's saying to watch out for the over grown park that had glass art structures on the trees. So funny how our dreams can incorporate things in our life.

LC1 is here today. Her dad is doing better after his two surgeries. He improved a lot yesterday so she felt she could work today. Her sister is driving over to the stay with the parents. DD woke up in the tell everyone their jobs mood. We will have to find something to keep her occupied today. Maybe a craft or loom project.

Stay safe and warm today. Do something you have been putting off.

luludou likes this.
  6. cmerth

cmerth Well-Known Member

It is another brrr cold morning (only in the single digits).

I am up but very sleepy. Last evening, I felt like I had rocks in my throat. Hubby felt it and my thyroid is all enlarged. I really don't like Hashimoto's syndrome. This doesn't happen very often but when it does...:mad:
    It is better this morning but I still feels enlarge on the one side. Heat and an Advil really helped the discomfort last night. Think I will do that again today.

Today is desk day for me. I will address more of Kiddo's graduation announcements and work on the family reunion. I started a new knitting project. I plan to sneak that in as much as possible today. It is really turning out nice.

I need to go shoo Kiddo off to school. He didn't leave soon enough the other day when we had snow and he was marked absent by his first period teacher. We warned him it would take longer to drive in the heavy snow but... he would not listen. :oops:

Ahoursesoul-- BRRR.... that is cold!!
    Jody-- BRRR!!! That is cold!! (I am sensing a pattern here). Good luck with the declutter project.
    Lana--- BRRR!! stay warm. Grilled cheese and chili... that sound really good.
    Lucie-- Pilates... sounds like a good workout.

7. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

I was getting ready to make dinner last night and DH came home and we decided to go out to celebrate instead because DS got the Wendy's job!! He finished the paperwork online (with my help) after school yesterday so now he waits for a phone call to tell him what the next steps are. Hopefully it will come today because he wants to start ASAP. We went to BWW and had the worst service we have had yet. DD and DH dropped us off and then ran to a nearby Walmart to try to get a tire for her bike (it popped after school). I ordered for everyone, after it took 10-15 minutes of us standing there waiting for someone to seat us and then another 10-15 minutes for a waitress to actually come to our table. :rolleyes: DH, DS and Eli's food all came out and the waitress left to get silverware. She comes back and asks if we need anything else. I said yes, our food (DD and I). She says, it never came out? Do you see it sitting here? Are we eating? No. So she goes to check on it. It takes another 30-45 minutes to produce a basket of fries and street tacos. Absolutely ridiculous. Then my tacos weren't even right. She forgot to put our portion of the order in is what happened and she was not admitting it for nothing. No apology or anything, she just kept blaming the kitchen. When she brought our food and mine was not right, I told her just forget it, i'm done, take it off the bill. I don't want it and you can also take her fries off too because it's ridiculous that we've been waiting this long for these items when our entire table has been done eating for half an hour already. The manager came over eventually and talked and remade my tacos to go himself. He was a nice guy but they still didn't take her fries off our bill. They gave us a 25% discount which equaled a little over $5 and then with our military discount which was just over $2, that was the cost of the tacos. No favors were done really. I was not going to argue anymore about it and smiled and said thank you and all that. I think we will drive farther to another establishment when we go to BWW from now on.

Anyway, to move on...DD has her 2nd quarter awards this morning so i'll go to that. Not sure if DH is going. It's been raining this morning already and I think it's supposed to continue. After her ceremony I don't have anywhere else to be so i'll hang out at home studying math on EdReady for my Praxis. That is going to be the hardest part of the exam for me so I think I need to really focus hard on that. I'll see if DS will pick up DD from school today.

Lucie- Enjoy your pilates! Stay safe on the roads.
    Lana- I hope DS is being safe working outside! Scary cold when the temps are in the negatives, plus wind chill. I bet being able to make the house how she wants it is stressful, yet fun.
    Jody- I think he should be able to work from home anyway if he's able. If someone has a job that can easily telecommute then with weather like that, they should make those people stay home. Guess it wouldn't be fair to everyone else that can't in the office.
    Diedra- That is very cold! Reminds me of standing at the bus stop with the kids at Fort Drum. haha Great dreams!
    Carrie- Sorry your thyroid is acting up. Hope the heat and Advil continue to help today.

Enjoy your day!

8. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Good morning all! Well it is the coldest day of the cold snap here in Tampa - I believe that the temperatures will not get out of the 50's today;). Yesterday was almost pleasant enough to take off my jacket and the weekend is supposed to be much warmer - kind of like the weather Lana is having with ups and downs.

DH and I had lunch out yesterday (seems to be our new routine) and ordered new blinds for the kitchen and from door - they come and measure, then install. I got a few things at Publix and Michael's and spent the rest of the afternoon working on camping club letters that we will be sending to new members.

Then my stomach went out of whack so I rested a while, had a light dinner and finished up the letters.

Today Buffy is at play care and cleaning lady is coming. I straightened up a bit and DH and I will head out after he finishes his nap.

Lana, Diedra and Jody - please stay home and take care in this frigid weather
    Lucie - if the roads aren't snow and ice free, stay off them!
    Carrie - hope your thyroid flare up is a short one.
    Jess - congratulations to Samuel!! Now he can support his car, right;)

9. Lori K

Lori K Member

Greetings from the frigid Midwest and Chicago 'burbs. It was -23 when I woke up, with a "real feel" (wind chill) of -38. But, it IS sunny! We were advised yesterday to plan to work from home today, as the company did not want any of us on the roads or walking from the commuter train stations to our office (for me, about an 8-block walk). I'm looking for the pot of gold at the end of the week's rainbow -- 36 on Saturday and 45 on Sunday!!!! I've got a new chicken pot pie recipe in the crock pot and will serve it with biscuits and a side salad for dinner. For anyone who does small-batch cooking, I found a new cookbook at Christmas -- Healthy Slow Cooker Cookbook for Two, by Pamela Ellgen. Dinner for one and lunch leftovers the next day. Saving $$$ and eating healthier this New Year. Stay warm, everyone, and stay indoors if possible.

luludou likes this.
  10. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Good morning. I'm sitting with neighbor today. Kiddoes left early for the school bus to make sure they got to the bus stop on time, with dgd maybe walking slower than usual with her sore foot. An hour and a half later they rang the doorbell here to say the school bus never showed up - again! Today I can't take them to school. I gave them my house key and sent them home with strict instructions to study and do schoolwork. They are wonderfully obedient, so I don't anticipate any sneaking of electronics or horsing around.

When I'm finished sitting with neighbor I get to go to the doctor. I'm not exactly sure what's going to happen - they said that at my age the insurance company wants tests such as bone density, etc. I just said okay let's get it done.

Stay safe and have a great day!

11. luludou

Jess - congrats to your ds for the job.
    LoriK - great idea about cookbooks for 2 or 1. We are now empty-nesters and I Always do way too much even though I try to cut out on portions.

Pilates was good. Now to finish this work day :)

Lori K likes this.
  12. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Greetings from the sunny, yet frozen, ECI TUNDRA.

It is frigid here. Everything is on hold today. A red level alert. Do not travel. I am not even going out to start my car. My DD has checked on me. She said Rocky is being lazy. But she said usually he wants to stay in, but today he wants to go out! Hmmmpf!

I thought I would sleep like a baby last night, but no such luck. But I stayed in bed until almost eleven this a.m. Now I am just trying to stay warm. Maybe a nap will be in order.

Our temps will be in the 50s by the weekend. Maybe I can do laundry one day next week. I am ready for the temp changes AND clean clothes.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe out of the weather and be blessed!

13. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

everyone stay warm and safe. its cold here but not like yall are having.

14. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning,
    A ridiculous state with the weather. We are still sweltering here and you poor loves are freezing. Do not know what is worse. I must admit I have never suffered through a really cold winter as ours a generally very mild. Hope that it cools down for us and warms up for you very soon.

Groceries for me today, I have a lot on my shopping list but not a lot of groceries. I need to look at replacing some clothes, I need 1 Summer dress and some socks after my huge clean out last week. Need to get nails done and look for some fabric and wool for some craft projects.

Dinner tonight will be a big family dinner with my family and DD BF family to celebrate the 3 birthdays for this week. BF turned 30 yesterday and we thought it easier to get the whole gang together for one dinner. Hopefully a new tradition for our families.

Hoping that you all manage to stay warm over the next few days,
    Much love,

15. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Hi again!

DD's awards went as usual. They started with 7th grade this time so we stayed for that and 8th grade and then left when they started 6th grade. I walked next door to Eli's school and asked to speak with the speech therapist but she was off campus so I left the form I need filled out with the office and they said she will call me when it's completed. If I don't hear by Friday then i'll be back over there. It's a very simple and quick form to fill out, especially since he graduated from speech last Spring, shouldn't be an issue. Getting the form to the school allowed me to check one more thing off my to-do list! After that I went by Parent Central Services and signed Eli up for baseball. It will be his first time playing but he really enjoys playing catch with the baseball so I thought he might actually enjoy the sport. I hope so anyway. Season starts in April.

I filed all the paperwork on the tech center and put things away, so it's nice and neat again. I have been piddling around on Instagram and the internet, watching workout feeds and getting my thoughts together for a workout. I have one lady that I follow that has great workouts that I think i'm going to do. Just need to put on my gear, gather my weights and do it! DH is not coming home for lunch today so i'll eat my dinner from last night. I ate one taco when we got home last night because I wasn't really hungry after all that craziness. Now i'm going to do some math studying and then this afternoon I will attempt a workout and I need to try intervals with my ankle and see what happens. Might have to be on the treadmill depending on the weather.

Yes Debbie- he can start making payments! Do you think you ate something bad?
    Lori- That sounds absolutely delicious and perfect for such a cold, cold day!
    Deb- OMG! I can't believe that school bus issue. Hope the doctor goes well.
    Pam- How was the inspection? Sorry if you said and I missed it.
    Hi Faye!
    Katrina- Have a fantastic time at dinner!

Lori K likes this.
  16. sweetpumkinpye

Back from groceries. Blew the budget by $15 but there were some meat items marked down they will be great for dinners and I picked up a few other things. My budget is pretty fluid so if I go over this week I will pull back next week. have had lunch and cold really take a nap but don't think I will get the time to.
    So hot here at the moment that I am not sleeping well and then getting up super early to get things done. I will be glad to catch up on some sleep.

Best keep moving.

17. sweetpumkinpye

Had a nap! YAY.

MrsSoup likes this.
  18. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Jody, thank you for the condolences. No, our school calendar has the equivalent of about 5 days worth of minutes built into the calendar, so as long as we don't go over, we're okay. I can hardly wait for retirement!