Wow! It's Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by missjane, Nov 21, 2018.

1. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Good morning, everyone who visits MHH World!

2. missjane

Hi, everyone!

I decided to get up since I've been awake since around 3:30 and can't seem to go back to sleep. I'll want a nap later...it will have to be a short power nap if I get one.

I need to go help my mom cook today. DH's SIL's (his brother's wife) Mama's funeral is at 1:00. I'm conflicted about going or not since I'll be helping my mom. I want to finish laundry before I go to Mama's. First load is in dryer, second in washer...still have three more small loads.

Target has early Black Friday deals for red card holders, so I'm about to look at those. I have a few things on my list from there that I saw in the "leaks" last week. It's supposed to be pouring rain and cold here Friday. When I was younger, I would have braved it, but I'm not so sure I'm going out in that. I love Black Friday shopping, so that will be a big decision if I decide to not go!

Hope you all have a great day. Be careful if you go out...traffic is picking up!

3. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Hi Jane and All!

I am up and I think we will run to Mt. Vernon in awhile. Need to go clean the fridge for the garbage guys. They will come today besides tomorrow. Have several bags with everybody here the 4 or 5 days. Just eating here not overnight.

Jane I am usually off this week but I don't do the Black Friday thing. Had a time or 2. Once I did to get stuff for Ryan to go back to Texas with and got some good deals. I do like the batteries at Lowes.

I better get moving!

Everybody have a GREAT day!

4. Pam Spaur

Pam Spaur Well-Known Member

Morning, Friends!

Still feel like crap, but I think maybe a cup of hot tea might help.

I have to make two desserts for tomorrow. Even if I don't go, I can send them via Jay. Right now, I don't even want to do that. My tummy is hurting a little bit. I guess I will see how I feel later. I hate being sick, especially on a holiday. I hate the flu.

I did not have much sleep last night. I am guessing about a total of three hours. I cannot function with only that.

Hark! The sun is out. Be very, very quiet. We don't want to scare it away!

Have a good day. Take a break and put your feet up some time today, ok?

5. cmerth

cmerth Well-Known Member

I have had a tiring morning. My pumpkin pie died. The leavening agent in the crust turned the pie brownish green. The beautiful orange is gone. I am just sick about it. The only way I know what happened is I stopped cooking and researched it. I made it for myself so.... I won't bother making another one. Too tired.

The dutch apple pie turned out beautiful. That is the pie that my guys wanted so I am good.

I have started to iron the table cloth. I am about half done. It is turning out pretty good. The lace inserts are kinda frustrating but it doesn't have to be perfect. The table will be covered in food. :p

My stuffing is done just need to bake it. I will brine the turkey tonight. I am doing a dry brine... suppose to be easier than buckets of brine. Last year I got a pre-brined turkey and it was tasteless and dry. I am hoping this year will be better. I bought a bunch of fresh herbs and lemons to season it with. I used some of them in the stuffing.... oh, my goodness did they smell good.

Well... I am going to eat some breakfast and finish that table cloth. The day will run me or... I will run the day.

6. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

My stomach has been weird the past day or two and now my nose is getting stuffy. I think i'm catching what my children have been passing around. DS stayed home from school yesterday for a headache and dry heaving. He was fine by evening. He has passed his drivers ed class and can now try for his license. Glad that's over.

I am baking today: 3 pies, homemade rolls and PW's mashed potatoes. I also am planning on having lunch with DH at the DFAC (dining facility). DH and the Commander have to serve the Thanksgiving meal for an hour and then i'll go have lunch with him after. I never pass up an opportunity have more than one holiday meal, especially when I don't have to cook it. hahaha

I have cleaning that needs to be done and I might have to brave the store for more eggs since Eli ate some for dinner last night. We also need cereal and some other things but that can probably wait until after tomorrow. I'll make that determination in a while. I need to schedule my assessment so it's on my calendar, otherwise i'll sit on it and procrastinate. I need to get out my notepad and make a list of everything I need to get done today, that always helps me.

Enjoy your day!

7. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

Haven't been on for a while as we took a trip down to the States, and then I caught a bad bug on the plane on the way home. Better on the way home than on the way there though. Everyone had a great time. Weird to go from temps of 32 to temps of -17 though! (or about 90 degrees to 1 degree in Fahrenheit) Wow is fast food cheaper down there than it is here! DH couldn't get over how a $3.99 burger from McDonalds was only $1. I stocked up on chocolate too, and I finally got to try biscuits and gravy :)

Tree is up, carols are playing, snow is falling....really starting to feel like Christmas.

Everyone sounds busy with their Thanksgiving prep.I'm going to let the girls watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade tomorrow. We'll have a chicken instead of a turkey, but with most of the trimmings since they were sick for our Thanksgiving. Had planned on squash, sweet potato pie etc., but we're pretty much snowed in, so I have to be creative with what's in the freezer. Hadn't felt like grocery shopping most of the week. I miss when NBC used to play Miracle on 34th Street after the parade.

missjane - It seems like stores are going crazy this year with pre-black friday, black Friday, Cyber Monday....I even got an ad today for Blue Thursday or Blue Friday...not even sure what that means!

Pam - Hope you're feeling better soon. I hate being sick too.

cmerth - I've never heard of that happening. How disappointing :( Is it still edible?

Mrs Soup - Enjoy your meal. Hope you're feeling better

8. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good morning. Sitting here listening to Christmas music and watching the fireplace on the TV. Wishing I was still asleep and dreading heading out to Wal-Mart and the library. I wouldn't tackle Wal-Mart except I have a prescription I must pick up today, and the library books I have on hold have to be picked up this week.

Dsil will clean the carpet while DH and I are out, preparatory to setting up the Christmas tree. He and the kids will set it up and decorate either today or tomorrow. I sure miss the snow. I told Dsil I'll have the kids cut paper snowflakes to stick on all the windows. Haha. He was not impressed.

I'll bake pies this afternoon and get dinner rolls started so they can rise overnight. Green beans w/bacon will go in the crockpot, and that's about all the prep I can do today.

Have a great day everyone.

9. MrsSoup

Hi again!

I have two pies done so far and I have been picking up around the house here and there. I bathed and am ready for lunch as well. I've had Christmas music playing all morning after I watched New Amsterdam from last night. My stomach is still weird and I feel blah. I had to throw on some mascara because I look sickly. Not sure what's up with me.

I realized that i'm going to have to brave the Commissary today. I'm going to need more milk and definitely eggs and vanilla. :oops: We also need cereal for breakfast and I need gallon ziplock baggies to help store things tomorrow after the meal. I should have checked yesterday because i'm sure it is crazy today. Ugh! At least I don't need much so I can go through the 15 items or less line. I need to run the dishwasher and hand wash some dishes yet. After lunch with DH i'll really start focusing on cleaning the house (kids can help) and get the rolls going so they can rise. I'll do the mashed potatoes this evening because the refrigerator needs to be cleaned out first so there's room for them.

I need to remember to have DH grab the baby gate out of the garage so I can block the front room off tomorrow from the little one. There's a puzzle set up in there and I don't want to deal with keeping little hands away from things. I may start setting up the other tree at some point today as well. Depends on what else gets done.

Jane- I hope you are able to catch a nap.
    Lana- Surprisingly our trash is still running tomorrow, but now that I think about it I think it did last year too and they came super early and I had to run out in my PJ's to put our can out.
    Pam- I hope you start feeling better, maybe we have the same thing. There's so much going around right now, here anyway.
    Carrie- I've never heard of that, but i'm sorry it happened to you. I'm glad your other pie turned out beautiful!
    FS- Good to see you!
    Deb- I can never get my green beans to come out right in the crockpot. They never get done enough for me. I hope yours are delicious.

10. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning.
    Rained again last night. We are fine with that as Australia is in the midst of another drought. The cooler temperatures are also welcome as I prefer it to be cooler to hot.
    Groceries today. I don't need a lot at the supermarket but I have a lot of other things on my list. I need command hooks, printer ink, a Christmas outfit, bon bons, picture frames!!! lots of extra stuff that I don't necessarily need but would like to get.
    Mum and I are going to another supermarket about 20 minutes from our place just to see what different things that they may have. I am hoping to restock the gift bags and maybe find a few things that will be suitable for stocking fillers for next year. That is the plan..

Looks like you are all in the Thanksgiving spirit. I hope that you all have an amazing day.

11. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

If you are sick there is not need to make desserts. Everyone will understand. Take it easy so you can get better faster.

12. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

We spent the day researching the recall on the ground turkey. It says its on Jennie-O ground turkey. The plant is not far from us and the turkey farms are within sight out the back window (and the smell is out the door if the wind is coming from the west when they clean the buildings). My frozen turkey is going into the trash tomorrow. The government sites are saying ground turkey, turkey parts and full turkey are under suspicion. My resistance is low since I had radiation for the breast cancer and we are older. Just do not want to take the chance. DD has had some bowel issues for the past few days. I put the timing to when I was made the make ahead turkey gravy. So out it all goes. Dh said we will suffer with Prime Rib. lol And no romaine lettuce at all.

I delivered some more Christmas gifts today. One was to our hair dresser. We saw her at the painting class last night along with her family and several of the other ladies from the salon. One of the ladies said she felt so good about herself after the class. LC1 had just said it really improved her self confidence. We all want to do it again.

DS will not come over tomorrow. He always goes to a friends house on Thanksgiving after eating here. Tradition is that he brings "homemade" potato salad he picks up at the store to their Thanksgiving meal. Since DS will not have DGS until Sunday we'll wait until Sunday to do a big dinner. It is fine with me I'm not one to have to do it on the actual date. LC22 is planning on coming Friday plus this weekend so I'll have her help in getting everything ready.

I have gifts to wrap tonight. Saturday we are having our staff Christmas party. I give the staff their bonus and their gifts so it will be a lot of fun. And a photo shoot which I really like. Then on Monday DD's friend will be here to help me with some house work. I'll do a photo shoot for her so she has photos for her Christmas cards. And Sunday we will do our family group photo. Once this weekend finishes I'll work on Christmas cards. I'm a little late on getting them ready. I pulled them out today so they are all set.

Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving.

13. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good evening. Bun Bun arrived. It's a "he," and he is super soft. And shedding. I held him for a while - he is so squishy, snuffling my ears and snuggling against my neck. I am in love.

I took DH to Wendy's for lunch - we haven't been to a Wendy's since we moved to Vegas. Got lost for a while - thank goodness for Google map. Wal-Mart said they didn't have my syringes in stock - I almost had a meltdown and told the girl that I would have to re-use the few I have left. Miraculously, the pharmacy tech found them. Good thing. I was in and out of the library in under 5 minutes - they will be closed tomorrow (obviously) but also on Friday (for Family Day - never heard of it). A quick in-and-out for a few groceries, and now it's time to relax until dinner and gymastics. Dsil is fixing burritos and homemade salsa for dinner.

Have a great evening and a wonderful Thanksgiving.

14. missjane

Hi, everyone. What a long day...and still going!

I went to Mama's. We made dressing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, frozen fruit salad, marinated vegetables, Louisiana fruit salad, and broccoli casserole. We had Dniece #3's children (3 - ages 8, 9, and 6). Around 5:00, I took them to the cabin my mom has rented for tonight and tomorrow night because DSis#2 is having Thanksgiving with her family there tonight. I left them with Dniece #1 and 2 because Dsis wasn't there yet.

When I got home, I put the turkey breast and ham in the oven, and made supper. I've made green bean bundles, and need to make broccoli salad. I'll make tea tomorrow morning. I went back to sleep for a little while this morning before my mom called to ask me a question, but I'm still tired and ready to go to bed.

GrammaDeb, sounds like a busy day for you. I like the salads from Wendy's. Glad you like the bunny!
    FS, good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling better soon! I've never heard of blue Thursday for Friday.
    Deidra, better safe than sorry. You're absolutely right to be concerned. Prime rib sounds like an excellent replacement!
    Katrina, hope you and your mom find a lot of good stuff at the store.
    Jessica, congratulations to DS...now to pass the test! Hard to believe he's old enough to be getting his DL.
    Carrie, that's weird about the pie! Hope you feel better.
    Pam, I hope you stopped and took care of yourself today. No need for you to do pies if you're unwell.
    Lana, I think I remember the year you got the good deals for Ryan.

15. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good afternoon.
    Back from shopping. It was a marathon, left at 8.30am and got home at 3.00pm. We looked at a lot of different shops and picked up quite a few things. Got all my gift bags for the next year or two and found some ornaments that we will try and replicate during our craft days next year. We also found plain red napkins that we are considering embroidering white snow flakes onto.
    The supermarket that we went to had some different things so I went a little over budget. Oh well, I will use some of my Christmas club to make up the difference.
    Now I have to pack away all the groceries and get ready for dinner. A warm bath is on the cards for tonight as it is really cold outside. Rain and a dust storm are forecast and I am looking forward to snuggling into bed.

2 years today since our sweet dog Bella left us...still miss her.

16. MrsSoup

Evening!

I have everything done I wanted to get done today except the mashed potatoes. 3 pies and rolls are rising, need to go check them and see if they are ready for a beating and then into the muffin tins for another rise before into the oven they go. I had lunch with DH at the DFAC and didn't feel great after so came home and napped a bit. We went on a motorcycle ride after and then came home and I got back to work. My stomach still isn't up to par. I sure hope it's back to normal tomorrow. I'll eat anyway and suffer after. LOL

DD did some cleaning and helped with the chocolate pie. I cleaned out the refrigerator but the trash still needs to go out because I imagine they will come really early in the morning. I better go get back to work so I can get in the tub and relax.

Goodnight friends!