You would be sooo proud of me

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Tonight I cooked 3 whole chickens. I picked off all the meat and placed in ziploc baggies. I started my base for chicken stock and will continue working on the stock over the weekend.

For dinner I cooked rice boil in bags and then saved the rice water as a starchy assisst in future gravies. I am hoping to complete my chicken stock this weekend to freeze and I am going to try doing freezer bouillon cubes with any leftover stock!!!

What a great "JUMPSTART" to my January and 2008!!!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Good for you!!

"heartstrings: Melanie

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
Great job Christmascreations!!!!! I love the nice cozy feeling i get when I get something accomplished like that!! I made a chicken this week and also made a huge pot pf chicken soup. But didn't store any as I have a bunch of hungry beavers in my house who ate it in 2 days.

Good for you!!
:bigsnow:

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Way to go Christmascreations!!! Doesn't it feel incredible to have something you can just pop out of the freezer and easily whip up a hot home-cooked meal for you and your boys?! mmmmYummy! My mouth is watering right now.....in fact I saw chickens on sale at the store a couple of days ago.....maybe I'll pop over & pick up a couple.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Pippi

gllatshaw

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2008
Florence, South Carolina
I am in awe of you, girl. Tell me what you put in and how you do the stock and bouillon cubes for the freezer, please!!!. I am always looking for fast, easy ways to cook. I really don't care to cook, but I've got a boy that's eating me out of house and home. LOL.

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
Good on ya!!!! I do the same. I take a free Saturday and spend all day cooking and making stock. I love doing it and the house smells so great. Best to in Winter I say. Keeps the house smelling like chicken noodle soup the ULTIMATE comfort food.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I've only recently started cooking whole chickens...I thought since we only eat white meat that it would be a waste. However, I've discovered that I can buy a whole chicken and just eat the white meat and it's cheaper than buying a bag of breasts. Plus, since you cook the chicken on the bone, it's a lot juicier and tastes great. I also use the dark meat and the bones and skin to make stock. I also freeze it, but I haven't done that in a long time...something I should get back to. Thanks for the reminder!

gllatshaw said:
I am in awe of you, girl. Tell me what you put in and how you do the stock and bouillon cubes for the freezer, please!!!. I am always looking for fast, easy ways to cook. I really don't care to cook, but I've got a boy that's eating me out of house and home. LOL.

I basically threw the carcasses in a pot of water with celery, carrots, onion, garlic powder(had no whole cloves), 2 bay leaves (it was an XL batch), and some salt(just a little), tonight I will reheat it and add the onions (skins still on) for the extra flavor and color!!! Then I will pour in containers to freeze!!

This is the stock recipe I want to try next time

http://www.recipezaar.com/118258

this is the frozen bouillon cubes recipe from the same user-by the way I found almost ALL of her recipes to be FABULOUS!!

http://www.recipezaar.com/79305

and this is the gravy I used for Thanksgiving and still getting RAVE reviews about!!

http://www.recipezaar.com/42402

Pippi said:
Way to go Christmascreations!!! Doesn't it feel incredible to have something you can just pop out of the freezer and easily whip up a hot home-cooked meal for you and your boys?! mmmmYummy! My mouth is watering right now.....in fact I saw chickens on sale at the store a couple of days ago.....maybe I'll pop over & pick up a couple.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Pippi

ABSOLUTELY!!! I found the whole chickens on sale for 69 cents a pound last week which is what got me going....lol!!! We will actually have chicken and rice for dinner tonight per a request from one of my twins this morning...love it. Now if I can get them to eat more veggies I would be ecstatic!!