2008 Holiday Crafting

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
With Christmas 2007 past us. It is time to get started on Christmas 2008 (for me at least) since I make all extended family christmas gifts and quite a few for my children. My list is finalized yet, should be by the end of the week but so far its looking like this.

Need way before Christmas:
No sew fleece blanket before Jan 18th for my youngest sons teacher for her new baby

At least 35 embroired tee-shirts for this racing season. (Me and my mom are going 1/2s on a embroidery machine just waiting for it to be delivered)

At least 7 embroired coats and 10 windbreakers for this racing season.

Complete baby layette by mid July (one of my christmas presents from my brother and his girlfriend was the material to make for thier baby)

2 more scarfs for both SIL's no later than mid January

For Christmas so far
grandma cross stitch for my mom won't be able to fully complete until we have a baby name and date in July

quilt for my mom and dad for thier bed (been working on this for 3 years now)

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head will update when I get home tonight and have my list in front of me.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I plan on making the following next year:

Mom~ Christmas Notebook

Mom and Stepdad Anniversary~ Wedding Cross-Stitch

I'm going to make a fabric countdown with pockets for Halloween and Christmas for myself and work on a quilt.

I also have 4 stocking kits I would like to finish by next Christmas.

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Iris folding Christmas Cards (not sure how many)
Neices: Going to do Photo DVD of their dad growing up
Mom/Dad- Photo book
3 sets grandparents- Handprint Calendars

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
My true inspirations for crafty Christmas gifts didn't come until September or October, and then I went full-speed ahead! I don't have many ideas for Christmas 2008 yet, but these are on my "futures" for gifts, including birthdays:

*Christmas coaster sets [For DGFs and hostess gifts]
*LWR Quilt Tops [Challenging myself to complete one per month]
*Cats Cross-stitch [For DD#2 Valentine's Day or hostess gift http://tinyurl.com/2zn4t5 ]
*Prayer Shawl [For gift closet]
*Knit dish cloths [For gift closet - I usually give these to friends at our yearly get-together in the early fall as well as other random and hostess gifts]
*Pickled Beach Bums or Ski Bums [For friends' anniversary (2/13?)]
*"My Heart's Home" Quilt [Very belated wedding gift for DD and DSonIL]
*Pedicure socks [Christmas for Karen]
*"Abbie" "Clara" "Grace" cross stitches [ http://tinyurl.com/ywsxcd ...using lettering in third row - for DGF's grandchildren]
*Tulip cross stitch [For Shirley - hostess gift or BD]
*Flip-flop cross-stitch [For Karen's BD 6/1 http://tinyurl.com/26tlby "If the flip-flop fits, buy it in every color"]
*Wedding afgan [For friend's DD who will eventually get married - want to be ready - they are talking elopement]

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
DJ-Love the flip-flop cross-stitch!
Twinkle-what are handprint calendars?

Today I want to get some thank you's done up as a kid's craft; and I've started to work on a 'special days' book for my DMIL. I received one this holiday and just love it-and she has a terrible time with cards and gifts! I've decided to give it to her a month at a time-so as not to overwhelm either one of us!
I've got lots of other ideas but I need to get them organized! More to follow... :thud:

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
http://www.littlegiraffes.com/handprintcalendar.html

I am going to do it a little different using cardstock and page protectors. On top have handprint, poem and pic then on bottom will be calendar page. Hope to work on over summer.

I may also have DD make coasters on tiles for grandparents/aunts & uncles by stamping a coaster then coloring in.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Twinkle- That is too cute. May have to grab new baby after July at least once a month and do this for my brother.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Ok think that my list is finalized but it is subject to change as the year goes on.

No sew fleece blanket before Jan 18th for my youngest sons teacher for her new baby

At least 35 embroired tee-shirts for this racing season. (Me and my mom are going 1/2s on a embroidery machine just waiting for it to be delivered)

Complete baby layette by mid July (one of my christmas presents from my brother and his girlfriend was the material to make for thier baby)

2 more scarfs for both SIL's no later than mid January

Cross stitch birth announcement

2 cross stitch pictures to go with layette

Christmas gifts
grandma cross stitch for my mom won't be able to fully complete until we have a baby name and date in July

22 stockings

22 fleece blankets

120 pillow cases

fire starters

the calender Twinkle posted

4 other quilts or bedspreads

75 Santa and Mrs. Claus treat boxes (something I didn't have time todo this past year)

100 ornaments (haven't decided what yet)

These not sure how many of each yet
candles
soap
smelly jelly's
GIAJ (will decide later in the year which ones going todo)

Now to sit down and make supplie list so that I can at least have all supplies bought by April.

Princess_Christmas

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Well time to make the list for 2008.

:pink: January :pink:
:snow: Mount paintings for resource box - Mounted and just need to be trimmed
:snow: Create paintings for resource book - 2 of 24 done
:snow: Organize painting resource box - Just need to create lables and lable paintings
:snow: Create paper projects

:bigsnow: February :bigsnow:
:snow: Finish paper projects
:snow: Valentines cards
:snow: Valentines outfit for niece?

:applause: March :applause:
:snow: Finish all art projects
:snow: Make Easter dress for niece
:snow: Make easter present for everybody
:snow: St. Pattys cards
:snow: Easter cards
:snow: Birthday card for sil

:rain: April :rain:
:snow: Cards for practicum students
:snow: Gift for practicum teacher

:) May :)
:snow: Mothers day present
:snow: Present for Grandparents
:snow: Finish July 2007 scrapbook pages

:D June :D
:snow: Fathers day present
:snow: Get a job

:pink: July :pink:
:snow: Birthday present for mom
:snow: Birthday outfit for niece

:thud: August :thud:
:snow: Start puppets
:snow: Cut out puppet theatre pieces

:confused: September :confused:
:snow: Continue puppets
:snow: Birthday card for dad
:snow: Anniversary card for parents

:friendly: October :friendly:
:snow: Birthday card for brother
:snow: Happy Thanksgiving cards
:snow: Happy Halloween cards
:snow: Halloween outfit for niece
:snow: Halloween costume for myself

:snowman: November :snowman:
:snow: Finish puppet theatre
:snow: Finish puppets

:skate: December :skate:
:snow: Christmas cards
:snow: Christmas tags
:snow: Christmas outfits for niece
:snow: Christmas ornaments

Yes I have crafts to do in December because if I don't I get bored.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Princess_Christmas ~ I like the way you've divided up your crafts by month. I think I'll take a look at my list and see how that would work. Some of it doesn't have a deadline, but for those that do, this would work great. Such a simplie idea, I know. It just helps to see it! Are you sure you want to wait to have your Christmas cards in December, though? I'd want to move them up to October or at least November. It was great to have them ready ahead of time this year.

ygrandma1

Retire Member
Dec 30, 2007
Thank-you Twinkle. That is so cute. I hope you don't mind if I borrow this idea for my granddaughter to do for her Mom and Dad.
Noel

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Here it is January 1st and I already have one thing to mark off my list:

::candyheart: /2 more scarfs for both SIL's no later than mid January (3 hours to finish one and have 1 hour on other)

Cross stitch birth announcement

2 cross stitch pictures to go with layette

Christmas gifts

22 stockings

22 fleece blankets

120 pillow cases

fire starters

the calender Twinkle posted

4 other quilts or bedspreads

75 Santa and Mrs. Claus treat boxes (something I didn't have time todo this past year)

100 ornaments (haven't decided what yet)

These not sure how many of each yet
candles
soap
smelly jelly's
GIAJ (will decide later in the year which ones going todo)

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
Kim - your list (as always!) amazes me!

I noticed my "tub o'gifts" was rather depleted when I put it away yesterday, so more dishcloths and hotpads are definetly in order.

I also want to try an idea again that I had last year, to make up sets of seasonal hotpads and dishcloths to give at the end of the year - hearts, shamrocks, eggs/bunnies, patriotic, summery, pumpkins, candy corn, other fall ideas and of course Christmas. We'll see if I get any further with it this year...

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, don't laugh at me, all you amazing crafty people out there, but I have to start myself off slow. I bought a set of lap looms last year and my first goal for 2008 gifts will be to work with DD8 and weave some scarves for her favorite Aunts, girl cousins and a couple of friends. I'd like to help her make 8 or 9 scarves. We'll try one and see-- fleece scarves may be more our speed!

I'd also love to start a 'block of the month' type of quilt. One of our craft stores used to do this, but I haven't checked for a while to see if they have one for this year.

You are all so motivating with your wonderful list of projects! Maybe if I keep checking in on these boards, I'll be motivated to finish something. ;-)

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Holiday Joy, I bought ALL of the craft squares of the month from our local fabric store at least 6 years ago with the intention of learning how to do it - I sew, but never quilted. I have yet to touch it!! You have reminded me about them, so now I do have a craft project to work on this year!! :party: Other than keeping up with my scrapbooks - which I'm pretty good at because I love it - and creating some nice covers for my notebooks, I didn't really have anything to do (I rarely do Christmas gifts).

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
FOR RENT: 12 yr old mouthy girl. She loves to quilt and is very good at it. She loves to travel anywhere. Only thing is she hates most foods. Fee: Free you can have her.

DD wanted to take a quilting class a few years ago. Because of her age I had to take with her. She has become very good at quilting machine and hand. I now hand everything over to her to be quilted she is better than I am.