8th and Last Turkey Day before Thanksgiving

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Already???? Our Thanksgiving is October 10 this year. I'm so glad it's earlier than you gals! gives me more time for Christmas.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have always liked our Thanksgiving day - just a few weeks away now!
Lovely weather, great food - fun, fun

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Ours is November 24, a month from Christmas Eve. In our family, the tree goes up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I usually have my Christmas lights up already, too, ready to switch on Thanksgiving night. :)

That's our tradition, too! (well, MY family at least...DH is not on board with that plan!)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just hate it when you hit the wrong key and everything disappears. Never does that on short messages either. lol

I knew putting LAST in the message title would catch people's attention!

So Canadians only have 18 days left to prepare. Just a little over two weeks. I'm hoping we will hear some helpful tips from them since they are first! Photos would be nice too. Good reminder to get your cameras out and check their batteries.

The first item in my Thanksgiving notebook is my shopping list. I have it saved to my computer but also have a printed copy in my book. One good computer crash and it might be gone. It contains not only items needed for the Thanksgiving dinner but also items I'll need to use up the leftovers. I love turkey and sauerkraut and then those famous Hot Brown Sandwiches (which are hot but not really brown). This list is probably the most important item I have in my notebook that saves me time and reduces stress. If you do not have one, make one this year as you cook (and run to the store for forgotten things).

Time to check dates on spices, baking soda and powder if you haven't done that yet. I now buy my spices from the health food store. Much fresher and ends up being cheaper since I only buy the amount I'll be using.

McCormick spices says if you spices are in rectangular tins they are 20 years old (all except black pepper which is still in this type of container. If the glass jars say Baltimore, MD on the back label they are just as old. Toss them or use as a display of antique items.

Haul out your roasters or roasting pan you'll be using for the turkey. It could use a good cleaning before the pressure is on.

If you are going to someone else's house and will be taking along something to eat start searching the thrift stores for a container that you can use and just leave instead of bringing back home. Also think about a hostess gift. Does not matter if you are going to your mom's and do not think you need a gift. It will mean a lot to the person receiving it.

http://traditionalturkey.blogspot.com/

Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies
http://scrambledhenfruit.blogspot.com/2010/11/caramel-stuffed-apple-cider-cookies.html