A Giving Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HolidayAngelOz

MHH Member
Feb 19, 2009
I am feeling very blessed this year. After two horrible years- we had a house fire, lost everything, lost my dad to cancer, and got evicted same weekend, lived in a homeless shelter, lived with my mom, I am just really greatful for what we have. We now have our own house, and it seems like the rough is going to get better. We are involved in a really great church and have good jobs. I want to have christmas be more about giving then getting, because my kids just seem to be into the getting part, no matter how many times we have been thankfull for people helping us out-I know I am going to sign us up to help label at the local harvesters and to help ring bells for salvation army. What else can we do?I am not worried about gifts- the kids birthdays are right before christmas and they will still get a few christmas gifts from us but not a lot this year. any idea guys?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
There may be an Angel tree ministry near you. They have the names of underprivileged children. You choose a name and buy a few things for them to have for Christmas. Or if there is an orphanage near you, you can do the same for one of them. If there's a soup kitchen, you could spend some time volunteering there.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Also going to nursing homes or hospital where people do not get any visistors if they have no family or any that go. Care packages to soldiers---some do not get any. Once upon a time there was a place to go and get names who you could send to but sorry don't remember where I saw it.

Very nice way for the family to do stuff together.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
You could adopt a family - this is a great giving project for the entire family.

Donate to a food bank. Not only could you donate things yourselves, but get the kids to ask friends, family and neighbors to donate as well.

Hope this helps.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
You could also check to see if there is an organization that assists people who have AIDS. Many are abandoned by their families or put into an assisted living facility for AIDS patients only. My BIL had Crohn's disease and was given a blood transfusion in 1980 before blood was tested and contracted the virus. In the end stages, he was unable to take care of himself and we all had full time jobs, so he lived in an assisted living facility for about 2 months until he died. Many nursing homes do not accept AIDS patients.

At Christmas, we "adopted" some of the patients who lived there and provided presents for them...mostly necessities because many relied on donations for clothes, underwear, socks, toiletries, but also one or two wanted items. You do not have to have contact with them if you are apprehensive about it. You can drop it off at the office and they will see that the residents receive it.

HolidayAngelOz

MHH Member
Feb 19, 2009
these are really good ideas thank you. We live a few blocks from the local salvation army and a local homeless shelter so I will have to ask them what we can do also...miss jane thanks for the reply my sister has crohns so I am familiar with that!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Also going to nursing homes or hospital where people do not get any visistors if they have no family or any that go. Care packages to soldiers---some do not get any. Once upon a time there was a place to go and get names who you could send to but sorry don't remember where I saw it.

Very nice way for the family to do stuff together.

We have used the site anysoldier.com to send carepackages and cards to soldiers.