After Christmas Notes for your Notebook-2010

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Ahh... excellent idea!

Ok -

Gifts - I stayed in budget this year (YAY!). However, as I didn't know what to buy a lot of people, there was a lot of shopping the week before Christmas. So, for 2011 I really need to get to that ahead of time!

Christmas Dinner - It was at my parents house this year, but every one brought some food. It was delicious - but there was way too much!! Next year, I'm most likely going to have Christmas at my house. So I think I'll just have a finger food buffet which won't be too heavy (it's generally quite hot, so a full meal is really too much). Will still ask people to bring things, but smaller amounts. On the bright side, I have my lunch sorted for the next week or so ;)

Baking - I really enjoyed this. This year we made sugar cookes, peanut brittle and gingerbread. Was a lot of fun and I would like to do more baking next year. I need to find a new place to store my extra flour, sugar etc. This year I stored them in a sealed box at the bottom of my wardrobe (my kitchen's full!!). The dog somehow got to them though and decided that flour is delicious! Not so much fun to clean up though LOL! Note to self: Cardboard boxes are not dog proof.

Food Gifts - I didn't get to make any this year!!! That's another thing I really want to do for 2011. I have the recipes of what I wanted to make, but really need to sort the packaging. My original plan was to give the food gifts with an Oxfam Unwrapped card (like a donation on their behalf). I got the Oxfam cards and gave those, but not the food gifts :(

Elf Magic - I introduced the elves this year! I didn't do as much elf magic things as I would have liked though, so next year I want to be more involved there. My daughter who will be three (almost four) years old will also have a better understanding.

Carols by Candlelight - Lots of fun! Hopefully the girls will be awake next year to see the fireworks. They fell asleep about halfway through the show.

Other Shows - I didn't make it to The Nutcracker this year. Am hoping to next year :)

Secret Santa - Everyone really enjoyed it! Was the first time we arranged it so I was worried people wouldn't get it to it much. Need to ponder locations for next year. Possibly the beach, but depends on the temperature. If it's too hot, it might need to be somewhere air conditioned.

Christmas Lights - Asha LOVED the christmas lights! Was arranged at the last minute though, so next year should get to more and bring some snacks and make a night of it.

Hmmm... that's all I can think of for the moment. There will be more once I have my notebook in front of me :)

Last edited:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I really let my Christmas notebook go this year and it showed. Although eveything did end GREAT getting there was more stressfull and hectic then I would have liked. I was not on here as much this year either which did not help either. Had a lot of unexpected things happen this year.

I will be back on here more and this week I will be printing out the pages for my Christmas 2011 notebook. I want to be on track and on top of things for the next Christmas Season.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I have a decorating section in my notebook I had not used before so I wrote some notes in it based on what I did where. That will help me next year b/c I did a lot of things differently.

I keep track of what the Elves did each night so I can be sure to not repeat but still can pull from old lists.

I also keep track of what homemade gifts I did that year.

Christmas breakfast-need to write what we made, impressions and what cookbook to find them in.

I need to sit down today and make a few more notes, but cleaning first, booo...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My notebook was a REAL blessing this year...one thing I did was to actually photo copy/print the recipes I would be using and put them in there. I know I could have gotten out the cookbooks etc BUT it was great just having them filed there...When I pick the recipes for 2011...I am going to do the same thing because it made it so easy to bake/cook

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
minnie I just looked at your blog. Your packages are so pretty!
Last year I went all out and made the most beautiful packages
I wish I had thought to take photos of them! I also made all of
my tags to match, and all my presents matched my white and pastel tree.
Well that's going into my debriefing notes right now!
Thank you so much for the ideal.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Saquilla
Maybe you could try a new plastic trash can with a tight fitting lid? my mom used to keep her dog food in one to keep her dogs out of the feed.
I had a similar problem this year; the week before Christmas I had to throw out 2 lbs of brown sugar, 2 lbs of powder sugar and 5 lbs of white sugar, along with all of my cake mixes and some other stuff due to the ants that came to spend Christmas with me. LOL they weren't very good guest.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have a running list of important lessons learned - I update it each year - this is my current list. I get the giggles remembering the moments that prompted some of these lessons - although it wasn't funny to me at the time! See if you can guess which ones I might be referring to! :)

Start making frozen cookie dough mid-October! Make extra batches of Chunky Chocolate Gobs! (DH's favorite)

Making and freezing baked PW Cinnamon Rolls worked well in 2010 – Had 1 ½ batches in freezer – could have used closer to 2 full batches. DH preferred rolls un-iced.

Before making cookie dough – double check exp dates on baking powder and soda!

Higher $ white chocolate is best for dipping! Aldi’s brand white chips don’t work/taste as well

Still have plenty of small cookie tins left to use, if desired. Remember to get them out of the attic along with other décor items so I have them on hand when needed. Skipped using them 2010 because I didn’t want to dig them out of the attic!

DH was asking for more baked goods to take into work in 2010 than the cinnamon rolls planned on. Have extra items in freezer with this in mind for 2011.

Quit redoing the same work each year. Using 2010 document as a start – compile ingredient lists for all tried and true holiday recipe items. From now on use that to shortcut the creation of Master Grocery List!!!

No Wrapping Party in 2011! Start wrapping presents in October (or sooner!) Leave some unwrapped or some undecorated for mini wrapping party with Sarah (but bad weather canceled 2010’s plans – could happen again!)

Remember to focus first on presents/stocking stuffers for people I’ll ship to!

Start putting trees up earlier than Thanksgiving weekend! Start earlier that week?

Make up labels – Organize packing/shipping supplies early!

Go mid to late summer and pick up flat rate shipping box from Post Office for anything to be shipped!

Place order for postage stamps online!

Research having priority mail boxes picked up from our house! Sounds easy – dbl check – may be able to avoid post office altogether this year!

Buy athletic type shirts for DH in a size larger than his dress shirts

White Choc Peanut cookies have to be baked on parchment paper or silpat!!!

Never try to use oven bag in electric roaster!

Continue to keep a tight rein on “seasonal overflow” – office/craft room can easily FILL with misc wrapping, present and crafting stuff right before our big dinner party. UGH!

Have more pre-roasted meats in freezer to jump start holiday meals (start early Oct - will start using them in November)

Take pictures of all decorated areas of house as soon as décor is done!!!

Take DS’s Christmas photo early!!! Put a Santa hat on him and snap away! Use best photo for cards – can upload digitally to Walgreens, etc. and order prints.

Schedule a date for driving around looking at the Christmas lights! We forgot in 2010!!!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I haven't written my notes yet but I'm going to put some right here to help me remember, I might just copy & paste to a note pad...I don't do holiday's very well but usually can muster up enough spirit to enjoy them for DGD.

But not this year. Leading up to the holidays this year was one of the MOST STRESSFUL times I've ever had. I'd find a little spirit but then it seemed it was gone as soon as I found it. I really didn't care if we skipped the holiday's.

I feel it was because my dad died Sept 4th & I have been reevaluating life since.

However, with that being said this Christmas Eve & Christmas Day were the most enjoyable I've had in a while.

I dragged myself along to do the minimum but what I discovered in the end was the minimum(sp) work better for me. We only had lights around the front porch & a musical snowman playing(part of the time) but that was enough.

My 2ft snowflake tree was the only tree up here. My DD ask me did I want her to put up my 4ft tree I said no. I had a few whatnots setting around...That was enough for me.

Gifts were put everywhere...but I already have 1 storage bin to help with that in 2011 & 1 place will be disinated to put all bigger gifts. I plan on making some of the gifts through the year in 2011.

I am NOT a good wrapper so gift boxes & gift bags will be picked up through 2011 to put the gifts in.

My DS & DDIL came down Christmas Eve. I had bought gift certificates for all of us to go to a restuarant(that we all like) to eat. This made my day as all 6 of us sat around with good food(none of us had to prepare) laughing & chatting. I plan on pick a restuarant(maybe the same one) and getting gc's or certificates through the year to do that again in 2011.

We had a ham dinner for Christmas if I have my way we will have a ham dinner in 2011. It's so much easier to prepare. And even tho we didn't have desert(forgot vanilla wafers for pudding) it was all ok. We enjoyed a nice quite day with good food.

So what did I did I learned? I learned for me simpler is BETTER!!! And if I really spread my prep out through the year so it's not so much hustle & bustle to get it together I will enjoy my holiday better. But even more so it felt like the whole family enjoyed the simpleness of those 2 days better.

So I plan on picking up something each payday for Christmas 2011. I believe doing this and being part of The Happiness Project here will help me & mine have a more enjoyable 2011 year.

Thanks for letting me put my notes here...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
After spending a couple days thinking about this Christmas - what worked/didn't work, what we liked/didn't like.

Changes:
Less baking - will still bake for us but will do away with the some of the goodie baskets we give out. It is just getting stressfull trying to find time to do all that baking plus trying to find place to store it all out of the way.

Need to schedule a few nights to go riding around looking at lights - we only did that once this year.

Need to schedule a night to build the gingerbread house - we bought the kit this year but just never got around to building it.

Keep:
Italian 7 fishes dinner on Christmas Eve - this was the first time doing this and it was a big hit. Had a request from a couple other family members to attend next christmas eve. Want to research some more dishes to change up the menu some.

Will schedule the first Saturday of the Dec as a family outing day. This year was first we did this as took the kids to Hershey Park Candy Land. The family has a blast. Next year we are planning on taking the train to New York City for the day.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
For me I'm receiving this week, so notes will be taken after the 2nd.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love reading everyone's lists. It gives me ideas and reminds me of some I'd forgotten. tfs

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
This Christmas began as my most prepared but still was a bunch of stress in the end. Here are my notes for next year.

Giftwise, I did great. Somehow I keep ending up a year ahead for a few people on my list which is really nice. I had a bunch of ideas early for everyone else, especially ds11, and ds12 who are my hardest....BUT...for any ideas I think are strong possibilities, I need to list EACH store that sells the item to save me time later in trying to combine items to save on shipping. I will also have the elves bring the Letter to Santa container by the 2nd day. I had to wait on ordering until my kids made a list and they just weren't interested until the elves asked them too.

Also, as soon as I buy anything that needs a box etc. I need to buy it right away. Once again I was running around the last few days before Christmas trying to get everything I needed. I will also keep a small notebook in my pocket at all times for the little things I remember I need. I did have a list but too often, I was upstairs, not home etc. and too many things I had to go back to the store because I had forgotten I needed them.

I was really happy that I wrote out the Christmas cards before all my decorations were taken down last Christmas.....so how is this the first Christmas EVER that I haven't sent cards?? We had camera issues in the beginning, by the time that was resolved we had to much going on and all 3 of my kids were never home or awake at the same time (especially ds16). Next year the pictures will be taken no later than the first weekend after Thanksgiving!

Baking......This one got me AGAIN! I didn't plan out what I wanted to bake for us and food gifts as well as I should. I need to make a firm decision and not change my mind and make sure I have all the ingredients well in advance. I did place all the recipes together in a folder in my notebook, so no lost recipes this year. Next year I need to do the baking with the kids in the beginning of the month and food gifts later (if at all) or at least figure out what I can do more in advance. I once again was trying to fit in baking with the kids, decorating the sugar cookies, 3 food gifts, and Christmas dinner prep on Christmas Eve. As soon as I was finally done.....It was time for me to make our Christmas eve dinner. NEVER AGAIN!

Elf mischief.....I Will once again think of ideas at least by summertime. I had plenty of ideas......but need to figure out where to put what I need where my snoopy 12 year old won't find it. I HATE going outside to the storage room in the early am to get anything needed.

For next Christmas Eve I need to find a place in the garage where I can move the presents to. It stresses me out to go out to the storage room at 12:00-1:00 am. The door to get outside creaks loudly and is directly outside the kids door but down the stairs. I put all the wrapped gifts in big garbage bags to make it as quickly as possible but the bags make alot of noise trying to get everything moved inside. It would be much quieter and faster if I could take everything out in the garage and then move the presents inside. This year I got done around 1:45AM. My kids woke up and wanted to open presents at 2:20am.

The biggest change I need to make is to figure out how I can enjoy Christmas :(. Except for my youngest two wanting to decorate the tree, and the same two kids kind of liked baking and made an ornament......my kids really didn't care about doing anything Christmassy. Ds16 could care less about all of it :(. They really weren't interested in watching Christmas movies, looking at lights, or going to look at ornaments :( I worked so hard the 23rd and 24th trying to finish everything up gift wise, elf stuff (good bye letter , good bye gift, create and download picture with Santa by our fireplace etc) food gifts, Christmas eve dinner prep, Christmas day dinner prep, and still making the two cookies with each of my younger two, because I knew if I didn't, I'd beat myself up over it. I got absolutely no sleep Christmas eve. My kids came in multiple times between 2:20 and 5:00Am asking if they could open presents yet. I finally gave in at 5:00. I tried to go back to sleep afterwards but got woken up 4 times in 1 hour so I gave up. I began coming down with something Christmas day and felt terrible the past 2 days...and what does my husband say? He says something about how he doesn't understand why we can't just keep the laundry going...but says he'll help fold. To his credit he is willing to clean the kitchen after Christmas dinner and did give me a great gift, but after all I've been doing....that's what he has to say. I felt criticized about the laundry not being kept up (no one has run out of anything). I'm also a bit hurt because ds16 has been saving up for a gift for his girlfriend since the summer. He got almost $250.00 between his birthday 11/20 and Christmas on top of whatever he had saved. He bought himself alot of stuff and his girlfriend her present but couldn't even think of me. I would of been so happy even if he just got me something from the dollar store.... I'd just like a thought. :(

After the past 2 years, I realized if I want to keep my love of Christmas I need to change my thinking. Besides celebrating the birth of Christ of course, I realized I love Christmas because of the memories in my heart about my Grandma. I need to take the focus off what I WANT Christmas to be like for my family. Instead I'm going to celebrate what I love about Christmas, Do those things that bring happiness to me and whoever want to join me are welcome. I'm going to cherish those warm memories of my Grandma that I have in my heart.

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
My notebook was a REAL blessing this year...one thing I did was to actually photo copy/print the recipes I would be using and put them in there. I know I could have gotten out the cookbooks etc BUT it was great just having them filed there...When I pick the recipes for 2011...I am going to do the same thing because it made it so easy to bake/cook

That's a great idea, Ginger! I LOVE my cookbooks (I got four for Christmas), but it would be great to have the tested and loved recipes handy in my Christmas notebook. Only the tested and loved ones though - or I would get too carried away ;)

Saquilla
Maybe you could try a new plastic trash can with a tight fitting lid? my mom used to keep her dog food in one to keep her dogs out of the feed.
I had a similar problem this year; the week before Christmas I had to throw out 2 lbs of brown sugar, 2 lbs of powder sugar and 5 lbs of white sugar, along with all of my cake mixes and some other stuff due to the ants that came to spend Christmas with me. LOL they weren't very good guest.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, DebbiGal! Must get one or two of those for next year :)

Never try to use oven bag in electric roaster!

Oh No AuntJamelle!! What happened??!!!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I've been thinking about the notes for this Christmas although I haven't had a chance to write them down yet. My kids left yesterday and I had to go back to work on Monday so I haven't had much time!
The baking worked out very well. I started in early Oct. and by Dec.1 I had 9 different doughs. Next year I will bake off some of the cookies before I freeze them instead of keeping the dough because I still wound up doing a marathon baking session of the doughs that took longer than expected.
Christmas Dinner: For some reason I always get sidetracked and have to really work at keeping everything organized for this meal. My husband's family comes over that day and we don't get to see them very often so I wind up talking instead of concentrating! I usually have most everything cooked and ready but just getting everything put together at the last minute is a challenge. Next year I will have everything really ready to go so all I have to do is bring out the food. Not sure how I'll do that but I have a whole year to think about it!
I made a new cinnamon roll recipe this year that was a big hit so I need to make an extra couple of dozen to freeze.
I need to make tags for gifts this year. When I was wrapping I had to go buy some. I have plenty of wrapping paper and ribbon for next year but I do need tags.
I will start decorating earlier next year. For the first time this year I started the weekend before Thanksgiving. I am going to start a week earlier next year. I think it will make the season seem longer. There aren't enough weekends between Thanksgiving and Christmas and if I don't have to spend one of those decorating it might help.
All in all we had a wonderful Christmas this year and we also had a white Christmas too. My daughter said it was like living in a snowglobe!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
jinglemom - you have been running flat out haven't you? and how frustrating when you know you have been putting forth so much effort to make everything just so - and then a comment is made on something that wasn't perfect (like the laundry thing)...UGH

I think you are on the right track with taking a mental step back and thinking over what you may need to adjust in order to get more joy out of the holiday season.

One thought, I remember years ago seeing a questionarrie (I think on CEO's site) that was designed to be filled out or discussed with each family member. It basically polled their opinions on what they enjoyed most about Christmas, enjoyed the least, would like to do, etc.

I don't know if your family would cooperate with a formal survey, but you could decide which questions you want answers for and then casually work the questions into conversations with each person over the next several months. You never know what you might learn.

If you do it more formally, then you could have a time - over dinner - whatever - that you share each family member's answers. So then everyone knows, for example, that Mom would treasure a gift - however small or inexpensive - from each of her children. Like an ornament, etc.

But once again, the whole survey type thing is just a thought. You know your family best and if that would even be useful...I do know that I was surprised at what I learned when I went over the questions with DH years ago.

I wish I could find that document! The one on the site now seems more geared to the person organizing Christmas only...but maybe I'm taking it wrong.

I really should go over those kinds of questions with DH again. I think I have been taking too much charge of the holidays - and know with DS in the house now DH is wanting more involvement. This year he "helped" decorate the mantel in the living room.

NOT the way I wanted it to look but I didn't say anything because he was helping and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. I also got the message loud and clear about our main Christmas tree this year - he hates it looking so elegant - he wants kitsch and homemade.

So next year our main tree will go through a makeover - more on that in a thread to come.

In any case, please take care of yourself!!! {{{{hugs}}}}

saquilla - LOL Oven bags tend to adhere to the insides of a roaster oven...as in merge with...to become one....ACK!!!

Now THAT was a mess to clean up! {shudder}

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My Christmas Notes:

1. Wrapping early was a HUGE help! It was so nice not to have a pile of stocking stuffers and presents to wrap after the kids went to bed on Christmas Eve! I actually didn't wrap the kids' stuffers this year - it just seemed like too much. The rest of the family was scandalized ;) but the boys seemed to prefer the dump and see immediately method!

2. Gingerbread House Party - I hosted my mom, aunt and 4 cousins for dinner and activity the Tuesday before Christmas - just the ladies! It was so much fun to just sit and talk and laugh! Ordered prepared spiral ham & fixings from the grocery...definitely a keeper! All I had to do was set the table and warm up the food! the houses were pre-baked but not assembled. Note: REMIND the girls that the houses need 15 minutes to "Dry" before they decorate!

3. Get cards out earlier. Too much stress trying to get the perfect picture of the boys. Have pic taken in October, order cards by Nov 1st and have them addressed and ready to go by Thanksgiving!

4. Travel less. I was on the road for business 6 times between Halloween and Dec 23rd. It made Christmas prep challenging and I ended up with bronchitis for Christmas. Not fun. Try to plan client meetings in Oct/Nov or Jan/Feb if possible.

5. Pictures of decor. I took pics of each room to put in my Notebook for reference next year.

6. Declutter decorations as I repack them...this is my job for this weekend. Anything that didn't make it out of the storage boxes this year probably should go.

7. Christmas Boxes - certainly seemed appreciated, so I will continue to do them. I need to plan earlier though! This year's theme was Clement C. Moore's poem. 2011 theme?

8. Toy declutter prior to Christmas - we went through all of the boys' toys early in December and pared down significantly...we're still overrun now that Christmas has passed, but it's much more manageable!

That's all for now! keep up the great work everyone!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Prime Rib
Baked Fingerling Potatoes
Caramelized Onions
Stuffed Mushrooms
Sugar Snap Peas
Sour Cream, seasoned and plain
Horseradish Sauce
Pecan Pie
Chocolate Salami
Banana Bread
I want to come eat at your house! LOL
:snowman2:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You would be very welcome!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hugs!

Thanks!
:fireplace:

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
So I plan on picking up something each payday for Christmas 2011. I believe doing this and being part of The Happiness Project here will help me & mine have a more enjoyable 2011 year.

Thanks for letting me put my notes here...

The first payday of 2011 was last Thursday. However, because of illness around here I didn't get to WM until yesterday & I was in a rush. I did manage to get ribbon(think it had 6 rolls on the spool) for .62 & a bag of vinyl gift bags for .25. So I'm still on track:)