Are We Ready For Easter?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As this is the next big holiday for my family we decorate everything as we even put up our Easter tree and put all the easter ornaments on it as well as putting together the easter menue there is lots to do here.We have a large family many nieces,nephews,cousins it's a big day to this family.How about yours?:easterbunny::easterbunny::easterbunny:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I would love to have an Easter tree. we decorate the kitchen, dining and living rooms...mostly with wooden and stone eggs...we have some bunny stuff, but not that much.

I have started planning our egg hunt. I hide plastic eggs with surprises inside (no candy). I blame Dora the Explorer...in her Easter video, she and Boots go on a hunt for eggs and each has a small toy/surprise inside. DS6 picked up on that quick when he was 2!

Anyone know how I can differentiate the eggs by child? Since they are toys, they will not be universally appropriate, so I want to be sure the right kids gets the right egg (there will be four children ranging in age from18mos to 6yo. I guess I can do it by color, but large eggs are really hard to find and I have an abundance of Yellow...need to think about this some more.

thanks for the reminder, angel pugs!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You could write numbers on the eggs.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Colleen you could have the kids hunt by age groups in certain areas..

Like maybe hide the eggs for the 18-2yrs at the side of the house. The 3-4 yr olds in the backyard & 5-6 yr old in the front yard. just a thought.

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I would love to have an Easter tree. we decorate the kitchen, dining and living rooms...mostly with wooden and stone eggs...we have some bunny stuff, but not that much.

I have started planning our egg hunt. I hide plastic eggs with surprises inside (no candy). I blame Dora the Explorer...in her Easter video, she and Boots go on a hunt for eggs and each has a small toy/surprise inside. DS6 picked up on that quick when he was 2!

Anyone know how I can differentiate the eggs by child? Since they are toys, they will not be universally appropriate, so I want to be sure the right kids gets the right egg (there will be four children ranging in age from18mos to 6yo. I guess I can do it by color, but large eggs are really hard to find and I have an abundance of Yellow...need to think about this some more.

thanks for the reminder, angel pugs!

Put their names on the eggs? Or maybe have eggs with clues inside leading to the hiding spot for a basket for each child?

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Colleen, I usually do different colors for my kids, but maybe you could put different stickers on the eggs for each child, if you don't want to buy more eggs.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh my goodness!!

Is it next week that the Easter Countdown starts??

Time for me to get organised!! :)

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Colleen sounds like the kids are going to have a ball.

I haven't done much for Easter in years. I used to decorate and everything. I gave everything to my best friend as my nieces and nephews were getting older. Maybe I will decorate my little white tree with some small Easter ornaments and use as a centerpiece on the dining table.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I have to admit, I'm not much of an Easter person. I actually get depressed when spring starts because I know summer is coming. I enjoy the religious aspect of it just not the bunny and plastic eggs part of it.

That being said, I make the effort for the boys. This year they will be with their mom for Easter so I have some extra time to get their baskets pulled together!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Kim Loves Snow.... the hot, humid days of summer... depress me, too! And August!!!! August is the evil twin of February!!!! HOWEVER.... February has been GOOD this year!!! Let's pretend.... that August... is going to be just beautiful, weather wise!!!! And... if we are not correct about that.... well..... we will have had some VERY nice fantasies.... anyway!!!!!!

I love the flowers that are out-of-the-ground.... by Easter! No matter.... what the actual weather is like on Easter Day.... there WILL be flowers! (Also, being Christian, the religious meanings of Easter are incredible for me!) I think Easter is a big "cultural holiday" too.... and is open to celebration by everyone.... no matter what their own specific religious beliefs.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I do different color eggs for each kiddo at our egg hunts. It makes my life easier and everything fair for the kids. DH then hides them according to age. Easy places for the little ones and more difficult spots for the older kids.

I also do some decorating, but I've really morphed it into springtime decor and less cutesy stuff. I do put out an egg tree for dd.

I love spring...and all things about it! Flowers, new grass, the smell of the air, longer days...

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I do different color eggs for each kiddo at our egg hunts. It makes my life easier and everything fair for the kids. DH then hides them according to age. Easy places for the little ones and more difficult spots for the older kids.

That's a great idea!!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I picked up a book for my daughters basket - and have a list of ideas of what to get for the kids baskets, they do not get much candy. I have the dinner menu planned out but still need to figure out what to make for dessert. Leaning towards a pineapple upside down cake and a pumpkin pie.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Minta... you are making beautiful preparations! You are an inspiration to us all!

Saquilla... I agree with you! Teachermomof2's idea.... of making a different colored egg for each child.... that is brilliant!

I love Easter!

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Easter is big with my family as we hide eggs and also put candy in the plastic eggs for them to find and it's decorated like christmas it really is festive right down to the big ham dinner and all the trimmings and of course the easter cookies and cakes it is so pretty.:easterbunny::easterbunny::easterbunny:

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well this year we decided that we will spend part of Easter (either morning or brunch time) with my dad and his wife. I will make either hot cross buns or cinnamon buns to take over there.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Found more easter things at walmart so i picked those up got more window clings their so pretty as it will be a nice dinner here just busy getting all my decor set in place as well as picking up a few new things.:easterbunny::easterbunny::easterbunny:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Thank you for all of the ideas on managing the different ages at the egg hunt...since I have an overabundance of Yellow eggs, I will either use stickers or set them up in different parts of the yard.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have decorative eggs that I like to put out around the kitchen. The years I find them in time, at least!! This is a good reminder to hunt for them this weekend.

We also usually travel to my parent's holiday house for Easter weekend, and they have a hare (like a BIG rabbit) that runs through the garden, so we've ended up starting an egg hunt there. I bought the first few eggs for that last week.

And I bought MOST of the regular eggs I need yesterday. I was food shopping alone so could think about them - and there were lots of offers on them too so I got a lot at half off, and I even got the 2 really nice ones I picked for my dad and DH for nothing (they were marked €10.99 on the shelf, but charged at 16.99 each - so the rules in that store are they will give you the item for free, so I got the €33.98 back!!). I now have DH, my dad, DH's mum, my gran, my 2 sis's and 1 boyfriend, and my other sis's 2 kids (well, an egg hunt pack to share for them as I have to post it).

I still need to get one for DH's dad, one for DD, one for DH's Bro's LIL baby, and one for my Mum. My 2 bro's won't be home, and I am debating getting one for DH's sis, and DH's bro and wife. But I kinda feel that we won't see them until the week after, and besides - DH should occasionally sort out his family ;) - I'll probably get them next week though for the sake of peace.

And I have agreed that we will have accomodation in my parent's place (beds are limited - and sis with boyfriend feels aggrieved at not getting the double bed - but mum and dad both feel that as DH and I are married, we get dibs on that! DD may end up in the twin room upstairs (could be proper bed or camp bed), or on a camp bed in ours depending on how many others arrive).

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
We all (35) of go to church, then to our house for a big Easter dinner. (all done in crock pots and oven, made the evening before) Grown kids bring in salads and desserts. After Lunch, we go to the city park and throw out plastic eggs (have change in them) and small candies. We started this in 1990 with our 7 kids and 21 egg, now we have 23 grandkids, 2great Grandbabies, and 1200 eggs. It is a hoot!!