Are You Doing Anything Yet For Halloween?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am decorating outside, and loving it.

I bought a package of small, glow in the dark stick-on ghosts (in different colors). I stuck them on trees yesterday. And little scarecrow-men and scarecrow-women at the dollar store. And painted pumpkins that have a sign saying "Trick Or Treat" under them - made of wood. They have metal hangers to hang from branches. And about 45 feet of wide orange and silver wired-ribbon, to wind through bushes. Lots of things. The best is a silver ghost that is some kind of silver that changes to lots of different colors in the sun (purple, blue, magenta, gold) - with long silver streamers. My philosophy is "Too Much Of A Good Thing Is Never Enough" -- so I will be bringing out lots more from the attic. (Mind you, they are distributed through hundreds and hundreds of feet of 8-foot tall bushes on a corner -- so it is 99% nature and 1% fantasy, when I am finished.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
No decorating yet. We have been cleaning out the flower beds today and putting things away for winter and (maybe) tomorrow DS and I can work on putting out our fake headstones. He has to carve a jack o lantern for me tomorrow afternoon for my quilt meeting too.

Syanda

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I actually hadn't planned on doing any Halloween decorating yet, as we have Thanksgiving here first next weekend, but when I got the fall/Halloween box out to start the "fall" decorating, I got a little carried away and put up everything! My DH was out while I was doing this and when he got home he just let out a big "OOOOOOO" when he walked in the front door as it was dark and only my orange lights were lighting up the livingroom. He loved it! My DD2 ran up to him and said "look daddy! spooky lights!!!" (giggling the whole time!) They both loved it ;o)

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I've been decorated outside since the first day of fall. I still have to add pumpkins and possibly a scarecrow and then i'm completely done out there besides figuring out how to plug in the bat lights and pumpkins I have. The inside, however, hasn't really been touched by Halloween yet. I have all my fall stuff out but no Halloween. I'm debating if i'll even do it this year. It just seems like such a big job.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I have been doing lots of planning but haven't actually done anything yet. If I can get on schedule with my chores this week I hope to get my decorations from the loft and put them up over the weekend. I'll see how things go this week....

:ghost:

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
We've put some decor out.

Then this weekend I sat on the livingroom floor and made 100 Halloween treat bags for school (for the Fall/Halloween Party)...

Thats about it for me so far.... :hat:

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
We have little pumpkins on stakes that light up...we also have green, purple, and orange Halloween lights around the banister outside. Then I have three pots of mums on the steps.

Our neighborhood is Halloween CRAZY!!! The street next to us has lights and blow up Halloween things and bones, etc. on every house! They must all be competing with eachother! It's crazy and fun!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
So far I have a couple of things out. Need to try and get the rest of it out after this busy weekend between football and cheerleading the kids have me running 7 days this week. The best out so far is made by my 10 yr old Halloween freak son. He has an overstuffed shirt with a shrunken gorilla head, a single gloved hand splattered with red spray paint (blood) and a play play swoard stuck thru the shirt, sitting on a bush right next to my front door. :ghost:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Nothing yet. Well the only thing I have to do is work on my costume. This year I've decided to be a swamp woman. I have an old dress that I'm going to cover entirely with silk greenery. Haven't even started on it yet...need to get lots of greenery bushes.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I think it's terrible when people feel they can just come and take or destroy what's yours. I mean we take the time to put up displays, sharing our joy with others all for some idiots to come tear them down or steal them. It really makes me mad. That is total disrespect.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aggy - you are right! Just remember, often this foolish stuff is done by young males. We KNOW that the brains of males under age - what? - 25.... those brains are not fully formed. They do things they think are "cool" or "manly" or "funny" - or to impress other young men. I do not take personally anything they do. I don't think they have any idea of the harm they are doing - because they don't have much understanding of anything.

Males in my own family, ones I love with all my heart, have done incredibly stupid things - again and again. Sigh.

Meanwhile, let the celebrations continue!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
SparkleNana said:
Aggy - you are right! Just remember, often this foolish stuff is done by young males. We KNOW that the brains of males under age - what? - 25.... those brains are not fully formed. They do things they think are "cool" or "manly" or "funny" - or to impress other young men. I do not take personally anything they do. I don't think they have any idea of the harm they are doing - because they don't have much understanding of anything.

Males in my own family, ones I love with all my heart, have done incredibly stupid things - again and again. Sigh.

Meanwhile, let the celebrations continue!

I agree guys like to pull pranks but let me tell you something that will shock you. Hope everyone is sitting down.

One day last week my daughter woke me a lttle after 8 o'clock in the morning. Someone was on our porch. We didn't look at the time at first so thought it might of been the mailman. The noise continued so my daughter open the door to investigate.

I heard the indignation & disquise in her voice when she said "what do you think you're doing? There was a older lady probably at least late 50 standing there with windchimes, a wooden tweety we'd made before my granddaughter was ever born, a flag, pumpkin light & more items.

My daughter had to tell her several times to put the items down. She said she knocked on the door but no-one answer. My daughter said it's 8 o'clock in the morning we were asleep duh.

After she left notice 2 sets of windchimes were missing. I'm telling you this realy shocked us.

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
People are getting too nervy. That's why my husband insists on having a dog. I don't understand people who think it's ok to take other people's things. I'm sorry it happened to you. Have a happy halloween anyway.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Girlsinmo -- ohmygosh! That really is shocking!!! I love the woman's response "I knocked on the door." What was she going to say if you opened the door, "Good Morning. I'd like to steal your things."

Sometimes great stress may push mentally fragile people over the edge. We are entering a time of great worldwide stress. We can continue to be the loving people we are. But maybe we need to also be alert to protecting ourselves and our families. The woman on your porch had lost her good judgement. And she was very close to your family.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Yes it was quite shocking. You never know about people now days.