Are your note books in order?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Yea!!! Did I ever get lucky at a garage sale last weekend. There was a big box of mags. for free, help yourself, so I did to all of them. I just about broke my back getting them to the car, but I was not about to give up. When I got home I felt really guilty and greedy about taking them all but it was to late to do anything so I started checking them out. Mostly BHG, Canadian House and Home, style at home and a few odd ones. The diamond in the rough is about 15 Nov and Dec issues. Lots of ideas and suggestions for gifts and decorating. I can hardly wait to get started, this is just the 'get up and go' I need to, well, get up and go :bigsnow: ps. just in time for the long weekend notebook thing.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think that is exciting, snowowl! Remember -- the previous owner of the magazines just wanted to get them OTD. And you took care of that for her! Now -- please share some of the best ideas with us during this long Labor Day Weekend! I think most of us love those November and December magazines too! :applause:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I was trying to print pages for the plans last night but my printer wouldn't cooperate. Trying later this week.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I noticed the other day my Christmas Notebook is missing the 2010 menu. Must get this printed and into my book.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I am trying to decide how much of a Christmas notebook I need... I already follow the FlyLady system and have a "control journal" for my daily and weekly routines, and I have Amy Knapp's "Family Organizer" (https://www.familyorganizer.com/assets/products/alookinside/2011Inside_Organizer.jpg) to write my weekly chores in, plan menus and shopping lists, etc. What I don't want to do is double up on the things I already have in place. Maybe I need less of a notebook and more of a folder, just for some additional lists and things... Hm...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love FlyLady! I will have to look up to see how long I've been with her. At least 10 years now. I need to order new calendars too.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
My notebook is ready for the year now. I finished the cleaning and baking calendars plus completed the photo updates for the decorating. The gift list is current with notes of remaining needs. I am just waiting for my youngest son to schedule his flight home so I can tweak the preparation of the guest room and plan the menues for his visit.

Charlotte

Merry

MHH Member
May 2, 2008
My notebook for this year is still a work in progress but I do have my main pages done. I still need to go over my event calendars and pick out the cookie and candy recipes. I thought maybe I would do that on Rudolph Day...

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am trying to decide how much of a Christmas notebook I need... I already follow the FlyLady system and have a "control journal" for my daily and weekly routines, and I have Amy Knapp's "Family Organizer" (https://www.familyorganizer.com/assets/products/alookinside/2011Inside_Organizer.jpg) to write my weekly chores in, plan menus and shopping lists, etc. What I don't want to do is double up on the things I already have in place. Maybe I need less of a notebook and more of a folder, just for some additional lists and things... Hm...

FlyLady also has a Holiday Control Journal. I think they start "Cruising to the Holidays" about 6 weeks in advance. I like the HGP because it spreads the holiday prep out longer. You can easily combine both plans by sticking to your FlyLady routines and picking up holiday prep with HGP. CEO at OrganizedChristmas has a 6 week plan for holiday prep also...her articles are great!

We tend to use the term Notebook no matter what our medium is...folder, binder, electronic files/lists. It just simplifies the discussion. When Someone on MHH says they're working on their notebook...I know they're planning for Christmas in some manner.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
FlyLady also has a Holiday Control Journal. I think they start "Cruising to the Holidays" about 6 weeks in advance. I like the HGP because it spreads the holiday prep out longer. You can easily combine both plans by sticking to your FlyLady routines and picking up holiday prep with HGP. CEO at OrganizedChristmas has a 6 week plan for holiday prep also...her articles are great!

Great advice! I think I'll be doing some reading this week.

We tend to use the term Notebook no matter what our medium is...folder, binder, electronic files/lists. It just simplifies the discussion. When Someone on MHH says they're working on their notebook...I know they're planning for Christmas in some manner.

Oh, okay! That makes sense. :) When people here were talking "notebook," I was automatically thinking a big fat binder with lots of dividers, etc. :) Cool that everyone does things a little differently -- makes sense, too.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
When people here were talking "notebook," I was automatically thinking a big fat binder with lots of dividers, etc. :)

That would be me...LOL! I actually have 2 notebooks - one for baking/decorating and one much smaller version that's in a folder with prongs for the current year's lists, calendar, etc. I keep my gift idea list in a small notebook in my purse. I love my Blackberry for most things, but I have been unable to convert myself to 100% electronic files for this.

Find what works best for you...there's no right or wrong way. And please share any tips, ideas &/or shortcuts as we go!

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
Hey, Debbie. I started a smash book a couple of weeks ago, too. Not specifically Christmas, just life in general.

The last couple of days, I have been converting some of the written stuff from my Christmas binder over to files on my netbook. :)

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, my Christmas / Fall smash book! so easy.cutting ideals and recipes out of magazines and gluing them in so much fun! List of favorite books, movies, activities, 25 days of Christmas, Christmas lore, advent prayers. and that's just the Christmas half.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member

candysprinkles

Retire Member
Jan 29, 2011
Indiana
I love the smash book, too. Being a scrapbooker, I have a tendency to hold on to a lot of memorabilia, most of which will probably never make it into the scrapbook. It has been really nice to have someplace to put that sort of stuff without so much emphasis on the design element. Movie tickets, brocures, park maps, concert programs, greeting cards and all sorts of things have made their way into my smash book.

A lot of times I will just glue them in with a quick note about the event. Sometimes, later I will add more info and some decorations with colored markers, stickers, stamps whatever. But, for me it is kind of freeing to not focus so much on making it pretty and to focus more on journaling and getting the details down. It has also helped a little with the clutter. I don't have that stuff piling up on my scrapbook desk or waiting to get put in an album. I just glue it in the book and go on. I figure if I did want to put it in an album later, I could pull it from the smash book and I would already have the dates and details written down.