Ball Mason Jars

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I just purchased some Ball Mason Jars - 32 ounce ones for storing broth in the fridge (will be used within a week) and 16 ounce ones with handles for Vic to take soup to work for lunch. The lids/rings say Single Use Only, is this true? I can understand single use for canning but for just storing? I had in mind to wash them and re-use them. Looking for advice.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Perfectly fine to reuse for general purposes, but not for canning. I save used lids after canning for when I store things in the refrigerator.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Just curious why you can't reuse for canning if you boil them? I am very new to canning and only do pickles, so this is good information to have.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Rings can be re used. The lids can be re-used for general storage if they are washed well.
For canning though you should use new lids. That rubber ring along the outside edge of the lid is what helps hold the seal in canning if it’s damaged or worn jars will not hold the vacuum well. Also if the coating is damaged the lid can start to rust. You also run the risk of the used lid not being immaculately clean and could contaminate the contents of the jar. There are people who do reuse them (along with other questionable practices) and you see them on you tube all the time. For all the work that goes into canning I personally would never risk it.
Ball has a canning Bible that is a great resource if you are new to canning. Most counties agriculture extensions run courses on canning or can point you agencies that do.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Thank you, Amelia and Jane, that's what I thought. Ok to re-use for general storage but not for canning.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I just purchased some Ball Mason Jars - 32 ounce ones for storing broth in the fridge (will be used within a week) and 16 ounce ones with handles for Vic to take soup to work for lunch. The lids/rings say Single Use Only, is this true? I can understand single use for canning but for just storing? I had in mind to wash them and re-use them. Looking for advice.
Single use only for canning under pressure. I reuse mine all the time for storage of dry goods, i.e. one used to can spaghetti sauce now used on top of my oyster crackers. So, yes, wash and re-use them. I write what's in the jar on the top of the lid in permanent marker, so I know which ones have been used and what is new.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just curious why you can't reuse for canning if you boil them? I am very new to canning and only do pickles, so this is good information to have.
The rubber seal on the inside of the lid is not made to withstand multiple uses and the seal may fail. Also, new lids do not require boiling.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I, in my younger years, thought I would like to start an online canning store with jars and items from around the world. But then had a my first stroke.

Reactions: halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Also, new lids do not require boiling.
Is this to say that when you get brand new lids they are already sterile in the packs?

Reactions: halimer and Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
They say you don't have to boil them. They're using a new type of sealant and boiling is no longer reuired. Yes, I'd hand wash them first and rinse well, but then just put the lid and ring on. Sterilization will occur during the canning process.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I boil because I don't pressure can. I just boil my jars, lids and rings and keep everything in the boiling water until I pull it out and fill it with cucumbers and the pickling juice, then I pull out a lid and put it on and a ring. It seals with a pop in a minute or two. Again, I just do pickles.

Reactions: halimer

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member