Boo!Bash!5

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I can't believe that I'm planning our 5th Halloween party. It seems like just yesterday that Ginger and I brainstormed on names for our parties and decided to use that tag for both of our events. I'm so glad that I"ve numbered ours....because as much as has happened in the past 5 years, I would never be able to keep up with how many years we've been partying on the Saturday before Halloween!

The first year, I remember, it rained the night before the party. I was nervous, thinking things like "what if it rains tomorrow" or "what if no one shows up". Neither fear materialized...the night was clear as a bell, cool and crisp and perfect for an outdoor party for 60! We had awesome costumes and a huge bonfire...the best time ever. Food was simple that year, just desserts, cider and coffee and toasted marshmallows and S'Mores. My brother brought me dozens of pumpkins and gourds from our farm and also provided a tractor and trailer loaded with hay for a hay ride. It was a blast.

The second year, we'd had a flood at the farm and all of the pumpkins were washed away. I've often wondered what people down river from us thought about all those pumpkins floated down the river. We had about the same size crowd, but added hot dogs, cheese dip and chips and chili to the menu along with the desserts.

Year three was the coldest yet. We literally had to stay close to the fire just to keep from freezing, but it was so fun. It had rained for the entire month of October and I was once again concerned about the party. However, once again, it was clear and beautiful, if cold, on party night. The hay ride was more about snuggling together for warmth that year than anything else.

Last year, year four, was super fun. It was chilly but not freezing, beautifully clear and crisp. We had several pumpkins and lots of people. We had a few new faces and lots of old friends. The costumes just keep getting better and better. The hayride was a hit-I actually went last year for the first time. I wore a black beaded dress, a black cape, a glittered and sequined witch's hat and my black suede high heeled boots. I was a "blingy witch". Fun!! We ate, laughed, roasted marshmallows and hot dogs and drank hot cider, hot chocolate and coffee and had a great time.

I can't wait for year 5! I want to use this thread, with your permission and input, to plan it. I 'd love to add a few lilttle twists and surprises this year. Maybe you have some suggestions?

We have guests from age 3 to age 83. Almost everyone dresses in some sort of costume, the food is pot luck and the decorations are more "fall" than "scarey". I don't like scarey, but I LOVE fall decor.

Later I'll post costume plans, menus and decorating ideas. I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions you have for me. Planning the Boo!Bash and Christmas is how I survive the 90% humidity and 95 degree heat of our Arkansas summers!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cathymac I'm so glad you are back to posting with us! Can't wait to see what you come up for the boobash. :)

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I love hearing about your Boo Bashes Cathy...MO weather is like AR weather so it's nice to have something to plan for...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Can't wait to hear your ideas....I think this year we are changing it up a bit and having an indoor party...actually a Haunted Dinner Party....

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Oooh Ginger...a Haunted Dinner Party sounds like something that I could sink my teeth into! Bahahahaha. I would love to come to that party!

I am excited to begin planning. I know that i want some things to stay the same...the basic format works, so we won't tinker with that. The menu also sort of works it's self out each year, so another non-issue there. The decor...well, now there's room for improvement there. The first year was the best because we had plenty of pumpkins and I bought a ton of mums. After that...it's been less than memorable. I want to change that this year.

I'm thinking...I'll be back!! Ideas welcome!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Cathymac I remember your first BooBash. From the pictures you posted, you could tell that everyone had a fabulous time. I love reading about your parties. My best friend is a big Halloween fanatic also. She gives great parties. Can't wait to hear what ideas you come up with.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Cathymac - Welcome back! I have missed your posts!!! Thank you for sharing your plans with us...it sounds like a wonderful party. I sure wish I lived in your neighborhood!

Ginger - I am hoping to have a haunted Dinner Party as well...I would like to base mine on old fashioned horror movies (similar to the theme in Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Magazine last year) complete with vintage posters & table settings. We'll see if I can pull it off.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
CathyMac - thanks for reminiscing about your previous BooBashes. I loved reading about them and dreaming of being there.

I too love fall decor more than gory scary stuff. How about some scarecrows and those corn stalk decorations to go along with the pumpkins and mums.

I have a friend in Florida that also throws together a small haunted maze for her guests ( not too scary)

Happy planning! I can't wait to see what develops.

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
If you don't mind, I'll share what we did for ours and where we plan to improve...

We have a beautiful park, right out our back door, so that is where we held it. It's a large park and there is a covered gazebo with one picnic table underneath and several around. It's first come first serve, so on the day of the party, I was out there right away to kind of claim it! (although there are never parties there minus a couple my friends have had!)

I set up a couple of tables for food. I covered them with cheap orange plastic clothes but purchased nice black and white placemats that I will reuse each year...the placemats were just on the serving table to make it look nice.

I made all the food which was mostly finger food and it stayed in fall fashion :) We grilled different flavored brauts, bite size twice baked potatoes, dip and vegees, chex mix, and black bean and corn dip with chips. Those were the savory foods.

Then I made white chocolate dipped pretzel rods that were covered in halloween sprinkles, candy corn of course, caramel apples (hand made with cute ribbons - I used really small apples), chocolates that were from world market that were shaped like pumpkins and ghosts, and carrot cake cupcakes.

One table had sweets, and the other had savory.

I also purchased an orange acrylic drink dispenser that I will reuse every year and put punch in that for the kids. We had a cooler with fun beers for the adults...we even had hard cider and pumpkin beer (actually pretty tasty!)

I decorated with some nice lanterns that I bought at Ikea and now use in my dining room! I also had mums and pumpkins. Everyone wore great costumes as well!

As far as activities, we had lots of lawn games and we were in a park, so the kids could just run and play!

I plan on a few improvements: I want something that the kids can take home with them, I want to set up a little place for pictures - think hay bales, and I am going to start earlier...it was dark by 8 and we didn't start until 6.

We only invited family and our church group so it was probably about 30 people, but I would like to invite more this year (other friends and neighbors) so it may be around 60 this time.

We know our neighbors now next to the park, so we may ask if we can pay them to use their electricity for the evening (and of course invite them) but then we can rent a bounce house and maybe put up a couple of spot lights so we could stay out once it was dark...there is NO light in the park!

I can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas and thanks for letting me ramble!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Holidaymama - that looks like a great party! Can you post some pictures?

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
At this time in my life I just couldn't fit in a Harvest Party but I do so enjoy reading and dreaming about the ones you post on here. Thank you for sharing :)

holidaymama

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
luludou - I wish I could post pictures, but unfortunately, I didn't take any :( Isn't that terrible!!?! I need to add that to my list of things to change this year!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Quick brain storming session on the menu for the party.

I think we'll stick with the basic menu I've used since year 2. DH and I will provide hot dogs, chili, nachos (cheese sauce and chips, with jalapenos, onions and chili for anyone who wants to doctor theirs), a candy buffet with "Harvest Yummies"-candy corn and salted peanuts; chewy peanut butter kisses; black and orange jelly beans and a jar of M&M's. I bought inexpensive clear glass vases from Goodwill to put the candy in. They all match and I paid $1.50 for the most expensive one of the bunch. I made scrapbook paper and sticker letter hang tags for the vases that say "Trick" "or" "Treat" to hang from the necks of the vases. I ask my guests to pot luck buns, cupcakes, chips, cookies and marshmallows. We provide tea, coffee, hot chocolate and cider, both cold and hot. We also provide graham crackers and Hershey bars for S'Mores. Yummy, yummy stuff.

I always use orange, black and white for my colors. I use black tablecloths on the serving tables for the food and beverages. I have a "cold beverage" table and a "hot beverage" table, along with a station for S'More makings and popcorn. I think I'm going to add apples this year for roasting, then rolling in sugar and cinnamon-a Gooseberry Patch suggestion. Doesn't that sound delicioius?

I can't wait!! Need a countdown for this, don't we? I'll get right on it. I'll be unemployed by then, so I'll have plenty of time to brainstorm. Whoo hoo!!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
A few notes on the decor.

I always use orange, black and white for my color scheme and this year will be the same. I think I'm going vintage again. I love the old timey look of all those vintagy decorations.

I am going to order some balloon bouquets to use on the mailbox, picture spot and maybe on the tables. I also have some ideas about making a balloon chandielier for over the serving tables-sort of an upside down balloon bouquet. I'll have to think about that one for a while.

I always use as many pumpkins as I can get my hands on, and my brother brings me hay bales for decorating and for seating. I have a collection of fall colored fleece throws that I put out for the evening. We use them to sit on and for wrapping up when away from the fire, like on the hay ride.

I like to have plenty of mums and other flowering plants sitting around, too. I hope to post pictures on my poor, terribly neglected Halloween blog this year. We'll see how that works out! LOl.

More details as they develop...

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
A few more notes...

I am thinking about adding a few things this year, such as a pumpkin decorating contest and some games. I think I'll need to ask each person to bring their own pumpkin to decorate. However, it turns out my brother did plant pumpkins this year, so I'll see how many he has. I might can provide them.

I'm thinking about doing sack races, clothespin drop, a cake walk and maybe one more game.

I also plan to change up the costume contest and to send out "save the date" type invites this year. Of course, I've planned to do that the past 2 years and haven't managed to get it done, but maybe this is the year! I'm thinking about doing post cards=our local UPS store will print them for cheap and they are sooo cute.

Lighting is always an issue. We'll work on that, and there's a ton of things to do around the house, including painting the back porch. Hmm...you might remember my DH is a pro painter, yet my house needs paint...funny, huh?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Just a wee bit late on my update-only 6 months!-but I have to fill you in on what happened!

The afternoon of the party, I was busy as a bee, moving things around, putting tables out, cloths on the tables, etc. I was anticipating baking some cake balls with my (at the time) 12 year old niece....she was already here, had the cake mix, icing, spinkles and food coloring out, all ready to go. I went out to hang the balloons and the pumpkin shaped paper lanterns I'd bought, along with some homemade pinwheels and other decorations. I was on the ladder, right at the top...went to step down, my knee popped and I missed the rung, landing in a (quite large) heap on the floor.

At first DH and the kids thought I was just being silly, but then they quickly realized that I couldn't get up. My left knee was twisted. Long story short-it swelled to roughly twice the normal size by the time our guests arrived that evening. However, everyone chipped in and helped out, and I sat by the fire with a blanket wrapped around me all night. My sweet husband and boys cleaned everything up and I stayed on the couch for a week with an ice pack. I didn't even get to trick or treat with the boys-and I suspect that was our last year for that, they are really getting too big. First time I didn't walk our neighborhood in 18 years!

Other than that, the party was a success. The pumpkin decorating contest was a huge hit-we had some outstanding entries! We had catagories for decorated ones and for carved ones. The painted ones ranged from Angry Birds (the pumpkins were painted to look like the bird and the pig-so cute) to a witch with false eyelashes and bllingy earrings (that one was mine). The carved one that won was a stagecoach and horses carved into the pumpkin-free hand. It was amazing! We'll definately do this contest again.

OK, so now you're updated. Soon I'll start the Boo!Bash!6 thread. Unbelievable how fast time flies.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cathy looks like you had fun (sorry for your knee but glad it's ok now).

Do you have pictures?