Christmas Conversation Questions ... take three

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
A twist in our conversation questions... " A Christmas Carol "

:grin: Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why?

:grin: Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas?

:grin: Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:grin: Christmas Past:
I think it was the year after my third son was born, it was a difficult Christmas then I thought, but looking back it was wonderful. The boys ages where great for doing a variety quiet home activities, we had wonderful friends and neighbours who celebrated our holiday with us, a very supportive church and each other!

:grin: Christmas Present:
This year is a difficult year, a great deal of compromise due to a major home renovation! We will celebrate the day with my sister and her family, planning a lot of outdoor activities during the holiday break!

:grin: Christmas Future:
In ten years my boys will be 25, 22 and 19! I have always wanted to rent a cabin in the Rocky Mountains for the holidays, a wonderful winter celebration! A beautiful tree, skiing and sledding, walking down to attend Mass at a little Parish! Maybe in 10 years that could be a reality for us!

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
:grin: Christmas past-I was living in Conn. in 1980 and my parents lived in Pittsburgh,Pa. I was going to be flying home and my dad said he would not be able to meet me at the airport, that he would send one of his employees. (It was someone I knew). I was terribly disppointed as this was a yearly tradition. I always flew home and dad would meet me. Imagine my surprise and delight when my dad was at the airport to get me. He left work early. Said he had to be there to get me :grin: That was my present that year :grin:

:grin: Christmas Present. I will be in Peoria Ill. this year. I am not sure what to expect. My dad passed away four years ago, and since then each year has been a little bit different. We will still have a fun day, but just not sure what to expect.

:grin: Christmas Future- Don't know. Ten years from now my nephew will be 23 and maybe married. mom will be 86. Hard to think 10 years from now :grin:

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Christmas past: A long time ago when I was a little girl, my dad had some pennies dipped in acid at work. In spite of a new bike, doll and carriage (only spoilt child here) and lots of Santa gifts, When asked what I got from 'Santa' it was all about 3 new pennies.

Christmas present: This year is going to be a lot different in my family, separation and divorce is making it a whole new ball game. We will be making new traditions and memories. We will have to see how that goes.

Christmas Future: Who knows, I hope we settle to a simple Christmas, where no one has to spend a 2nd mortage, the kids are getting older and appreciate their gifts more. I would hope to still be around in 10 years to see how my family all turn out, having done my best to instill the spirit in them all. :grin:

ChristmasMissy

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Georgia
:grin: Christmas Past: I can't remember how old I was, probably younger than 10. Being an only child my parents spoiled me...lol...so that year I got dolls, stuffed animals, a huge kitchen set with all the pots, pans and dishes to go with it. We had a small living room and I was surprised at how much Santa had left me. The bigger surprise (and what still makes me chuckle) was the bike in the kitchen because there was no room in the living room. LOL

:grin: Christmas Present: Money is tight this year, hubby got laid off in February, we had to move in with my parents in June (hopefully temporary..lol), so Christmas morning we will be waking up at my parent's. We have Christmas dinner there anyway every year. LOL Relatives from MD may be coming down too, not sure yet.

:grin: Christmas Future: Hopefully in ten years hubby and I will finally have children. It would be nice to take a BIG family trip for Christmas. Maybe rent a beach house in FL or a cabin in TN..hehe

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas?

I don't have any special one...now that I think about it, they were all special for one reason or another.

Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas?

My brother and his family is coming all the way across the country to stay with us! This is the first time in many years that any of my siblings will be with us.

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?

All of my children married with lots of grandchildren! Only one child is married and no gks yet.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why? Christmas 1992 this was the last Christmas my gram was with us. I have always been the favored grandchild, even though I am the second oldest I have always been considered my grams baby. I worked overnight the night before christmas eve so that I could spend the day wrapping my grams gifts for her (something I had done for years for her). The thing that I wil never forget is her opening 3 jewerly boxes and showing me my cousins earrings. But telling me I couldn't look in the other box. We have always spend Christmas eve as a family. That year was the first in many years that my gram had all her children and grandchildren together for Christmas. It was special since we did not know that a little over 2 weeks later she would be gone.

Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? Hectic as always. Christmas Eve we will be at my mothers house for family christmas until who knows when. Then back home to bed just to start over again on Christmas morning. My mom still requires her children to be at her house on Christmas morning to open gifts together, it is important to her. So Christmas morning we open gifts at home, get dressed and head to my moms for "grandpa's famous christmas morning omlets" and then to open gifts. We all normally have somewhere else to go to but we have to be back to moms no later than 4:00 for dinner. This gives everyone enough time to go where they have to other than my parents house.

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?It would be the same as the present. Even though sometimes it feels rushed we have fun. My brothers and I all are very close and my parents say they don't know who is worse the big kids or the little kids, but they love it too.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
::eek:rnament: Christmas Past: Hubby and I got married on December 19, 1992 and spent that first Christmas with his family. It was the first Christmas that I'd ever truly had a Christ centered holiday. Family, friends and love were the focus.

::eek:rnament: Christmas Present: Hubby and I will be traveling to his parents. This is the first Christmas in several years that the ENTIRE family will be together. There will be lot's of people, but we are excited none the less.

::eek:rnament: Christmas Future: I would like to have a Christmas at home. Since we don't have children we are always the people to travel to either the in-laws for my parents. I haven't awoke on Christmas morning in my own bed for 6 years. I would like to find out what that's like again!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
SmilingSandra-my oldest son was born on December 19, 1992!! He was a surprise Christmas baby!!

:grin: Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why?
I've had great Christmases in the past, they were all special in their own way. 1992 was great-see above! 2001 was great-we had plenty of money and didn't have to struggle to get gifts for everyone...last year was great-we didn't have a lot of money to get gifts, but got things that people really loved and it was ok-my childhood Christmases were all wonderful.

:grin: Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? Christmas is going to be tight again this year, but it'll be so ok! I am making a lot of gifts and I believe that everyone we exchange gifts with appreciate the thought, love and labor that goes into those gifts. We'll have Christmas Eve dinner at our house, then Christmas morning we'll go to my mom's for breakfast. My dad passed away in April, so this is going to be hard. We all know that he'll be with us, and the God will give us the grace we need to get through it.

:grin: Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be? In 10 years my children will be 25, 17 and 16. I'd love to leave Christmas night (after all the celebrations) on a train and head to Colorado or someplace cold and snowy for a winter holiday. We'd have a wonderful log house with a huge rock fireplace and a ski lift right outside. We'd eat, ski, sled, sleighride, have snowball fights...all the fun winter stuff that we don't get to do very often. Then we'd celebrate New Year's Eve, get on a train and come home!

dejavu

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Chicago suburbs, Illinois
Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why? At the risk of being a terrible downer, the only year that stands out was the year my dad (not properly medicated for an illness) was missing on Dec. 24th and search parties found him dead on Christmas day. we will never quite get past that Christmas memory no matter how hard we all try.

Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? We have hosted Christmas the past 10 years and have all our family over at 2pm Christmas day. This year will be the same.

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?My sister would still be maintaining/managing her illness and we would all be together. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers strong for that one.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Wow! dejavu, I can understand that being the most memorable. What a horrible experience!

Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why? I guess I would have to say Christmas 1990 when DH proposed. He tried to do it when we were alone, but that never quite happened, so he asked me in front of my family while everyone was cleaning up after dinner.

Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? Christmas Eve afternoon will be at my mother's. When we get home Santa will have come for the kids. Christmas morning well get up, open the gifts we get each other, go to the German Mass with cousins, then head to in-laws for the afternoon.

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?Everyone healthy and happy

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
momof4- my bother proposed to my SIL on Christmas eve at my moms house. Everyone knew he was going todo so. Her mother thought it would be strange to be there. Then SIL would know something was up. So he told her mom about what time he was going todo so, so that she could call right afterwards.

HolidayAngel

Retire Member
Oct 18, 2007
christmas past: I was raised by my grandparents(Fraternal)and am still very close with my dads side of the family, every christmas my grandma decorated the house all out for the holidays, I always helped, and we would have all the family over on christmas day and just lots of love and laughter. I was still somewhat young I think around 10 and went to my moms for christmas one year, I remember hearing the song Home for the Holidays on christmas morning and I started bawling and asked my mom to please take me back to my grandparents, she did but now as I am older I realized how hard that must of been on her knowing I was closer to them instead of her, I had just really missed the family togetherness.

christmas present: we are still going to my grandparents every year for christmas- and have dinner with all the family.

christmas future: As my kids get older my own family will grow and we can start our own traditions.

christmas present: we are still planing on

redfairy

Premiere Member
May 23, 2008
Utah
Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why?
Christmas 1998 stands out the most, as it was mine and hubby's first Christmas together as a married couple. We were poor and didn't have much, which was depressing to me, as my family celebrated Christmas in a BIG way. But, hubby bought me a giant Hershey Kiss (my favorite) and rented Grease (another fave) and actually watched it with me. It was special that it was just the two of us.

This year, I'm trying for a more spiritual Christmas than a materialistic one. I've got "grand plans" so hopefully it'll work!

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?
All my family around the Christmas tree, laughing and smiling. Simple and perfect.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why?
So many good memories!!! family! great smells! gifts! fun! laughter!!! I love the tradition at my mom's house when Santa arrives with his sleigh and gifts for all the children, with elves to help him (different people each year). The 1st year we did that was magical!! DS was only 6 months old but when he saw me dressed as an elf he wouldn't stop laughing!

Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? Usually mom's house on the 24th & 25th but we don't know how things will go with D.Niece (6)'s cancer... we don't know if she will still be with us in December.

Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be? Family, fun, laughter, simple, ...

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
What a great thread idea!!!

Best Christmas ever was 2004, the Christmas Ava was born. My husband had like 3 weeks off because of me having her, didn't go back until the new year. The boys were 5 and 3, great ages, because I was nesting, everything was actually finished and prepared way in advance, and when i look back, it was just a cozy, wonderful Christmas.

Christmas present:
Doing more chraritable things with the kids. We are doing the Polar express thing in early December, so hopefully will really enjoy that. Being fully prepared for the entire season!

Christmas Furture:

Want to do Christmas in Disney sometime (not actually over Christmas, earlier in the month) Do the holidays so wonderful, that when my children move out they can't fathom spending the holidays anywhere else.

Kelly :skate:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves

One Christmas it was just me and Dad at home and he decided to spend it at his girlfriends. I was at my BF's(now DH) Christmas eve and when his brother heard this-he flipped out! He drove me home in a snowstorm to get my gifts so I'd have something to open on Christmas morning with their Family.

As always, I'm hoping a little less materialistically! I'm hoping a little 'greener' too!

Christmas is great just the way it is, but in future a trip would be nice and I hope God grants me the flexibility to be able to incorporate changes in our holiday traditions. ::eek:rnament:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
:grin: Christmas Past: Looking back over all your Christmas memories, what year stood out as the Christmas? Why? It was 3 Christmases ago. I remember we had just all finished exchanging gifts and I went into the kitchen for something (can't remember). Anyway when I walked back into the livingroom I was looking around and realized that nearly my entire family (about 35) were all in my little apartment...laughing...playing...just carrying on. It made me tear up. Everyone was having a really good time. I got everyone together around the Christmas tree and took what became my traditional family holiday picture.

:grin: Christmas Present: How will this year be celebrated in your home at Christmas? I hope it will be a little more relaxed. My goal is to have most of the planning done by the end of November so that I can spend December actually celebrating.

:grin: Christmas Future: If you could plan the perfect Christmas in 10 years what would it be?[/quote] My perfect Christmas would be to celebrate the holidays with my family in a home that I owned instead of an apartment.

knl81

Retire Member
Aug 9, 2008
:grin: Christmas Past: When I was younger around the age of 8-12. My family would gather with all my cousins and aunts and uncles at my grandparents house. There was so much magic in the air, singing christmas carols and just being together. On the ride home in our parents car, we would listen to Christmas Music as we gazed into the sky looking for any trace of santa and his reindeer. I also can not forget the Christmas morning about 8 years ago when I had to work third shift. It was 7 am Chirstmas morning and was walking out to my car when DH proposed.

:grin: Christmas Present: I am so excited about this year!! Focusing on home more. We always want to share our day with other family, but all you end up doing is running from house to house. I want to enjoy the day with my children as there aren't many christmas' and before I know it they will grown.

:grin: Christmas Future: I always have dreamed about taking my family to Maui for a christmas.