Christmas Conversation Questions ... take two

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:grin: When do you start shopping?

:grin: Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

:grin: Clear lights or colored on the tree?

:grin: Favorite Christmas song?

:grin: Travel at Christmas or stay home?

:grin: Angel on the tree top or a star?

:grin: Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning?

:grin: Does your family have any special Christmas traditions?

:grin: What interesting things does your community do at Christmas?

:grin: What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:grin: When do you start shopping?
October, I do pick up things during the whole year though.

:grin: Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Christmas cookies ... shortbread!

:grin: Clear lights or coloured on the tree?
I prefer white lights, but was out voted by my DH and boys... we have coloured.

:grin: Favorite Christmas song?
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by the Barenaked Ladies! :grin:

:grin: Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We do a little of both now - travel is just over an hour each way. My aunt hosts Christmas Eve, my sister Christmas Day, and we do Boxing Day.

:grin: Angel on the tree top or a star?
We have had many toppers over the years, I do love a star!

:grin: Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning?
Again, we do both. After Mass we open Grandpa and Grandmas gifts, in the morning are the remainder and stockings.

:grin: Does your family have any special Christmas traditions?
Many!! Most important to us is our Advent celebration at home, attending Mass, going to the tree farm to pick out and cut down our tree and FOOD!

:grin: What interesting things does your community do at Christmas?
We have a holiday parade (small town), lighting of the downtown celebration.

:grin: What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?

(There is always too much food, with trays of pickles, cheeses and veggies before we actually sit down!)

Pear Salad
Forest Mushroom Soup
Asst'd bread rolls

Roasted Stuffed Turkey w/ pan gravy
Broccoli Casserole
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Ginger carrots
Jellied Salad

Sparkling punch

Dessert is Christmas cookies, bars, tarts and cheesecake!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
When do you start shopping? Start? I never stop!!

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Everything!!

Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear

Favorite Christmas song? Can't pick just one

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay at home

Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither, Sanata sits atop my tree

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Morning

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Too many to list

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Not sure, we just moved here

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? Turkey and all the trimmings

:snowman: Melanie

lovey195

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Island in the Sun
When do you start shopping? I would like to say all year long but truly from about September/October.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? There are sooo many traditional dishes that are done in the Caribbean and I love all of them

Favorite Christmas song? Home for the Holidays/The Most Wonderful time of the Year . . . but I like them all!

Travel at Christmas or stay home? home

Angel on the tree top or a star? Hugh Bow that I made out of pretty ribbon

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Chistmas Morning

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? We all gather at someones house where we have a huge lunch and then one of the adults will pass out the presents to the little "elves" (kiddies) for delivery and all of the older aunts/grandparents open their gifts first so that everyone can look on . . . there are soo many more . . . Chistmas day in my family is just magical even my hubby now loves it and has already asked (since September) where we're having Christmas this year!

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Well there's Carols by Candlelight which is held on the premises of our Prime Minister's residence, there is usually a panto and some sort of sponsored light parade.

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? food in the Caribbean is amazing but especially at Christmas oh boy! There is the usual Turkey and Ham but then there's rice n' peas and macaroni pie and doved peas (green peas prepared and fried in a skillet with salted meat) and jug jug (which is pretty much the preceeding dish just mushed up) I could go on and on but just know this the food is fabulous!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
When do you start shopping? I try to pick up things throughout the year

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cookies and Hershey's Kisses. I also love to drink egg nog.

Clear lights or colored on the tree? Both.

Favorite Christmas song? 'Happy Holidays'

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home

Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve. That's when everyone comes to my house for the annual dinner party.

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Well not really other than Christmas Eve is the date we all be together. I do wear a silly Christmas hat every year and sort of play Santa and hand out all the gifts I bought for everyone. Then it's my turn to open gifts given to me.

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? In my community there really isn't anything done. I usually go into the city to see the lighting of 34th street in Hampden and lighting of the Washington monument in Mt. Vernon. There was a sweet lady in the city name Bea Gaddy. She always held an annual Christmas dinner to help those who are less fortunate. She passed away from cancer several years ago, however her family continues her legacy.

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? I switch up my menu each year. I have a menu written up but I'm considering changing a few items.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
When do you start shopping?
Usually in November, but this year October and i'm almost finished.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
My grandma's dumplings when I get to make it home.

Clear lights or colored on the tree?
We usually have both, but I love clear lights the most.

Favorite Christmas song?
I love Silver Bells and Let It Snow.

Travel at Christmas or stay home?
Stay home.

Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star.

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning?
One of Christmas Eve and the rest in the morning.

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions?
Every year my aunt and uncle host a family thing on Christmas Eve. I have'nt been able to go for several years so i'm looking forward to it this year. Also, my mom and I usually have a glass of Asti Spumante on Christmas Eve.

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas?
Not a clue where i'm at right now, but in my hometown there is a light show you can drive through by the lake.

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?
When I was young, it was always chicken and rice. I haven't been home for a while on Christmas so really no idea. I usually make a turkey and all the trimmings.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
When do you start shopping? Dec.26

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Brown Sugar fudge

Clear lights or colored on the tree? colored this year

Favorite Christmas song? too many to pick one!

Travel at Christmas or stay home? STAY HOME!

Angel on the tree top or a star? STAR

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? 1 christmas eve(kids jammies and book or dvd)The rest christmas morning!

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Sleigh ride to get tree with DBIL's family

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Caroling services.

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?Traditional-turkey, dressing,cranberries and veggies and Jesus' birthday cake!

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
Oct.

homemade holiday candy

both

Favorite Christmas song?
Carol of the Bells , White Christmas, Little Drummer Boy

travel, but would like to stay home.

Our Topper was a glode with santa and the reindeer traveling around it, but it broke last year. I guess star then.

Morning

Hot Buttered Rum Christmas Eve

There is a big lighting celebration, Festive of tree, and a parade all leading up to Christmas

Turkey
Ham
stuffing
mashed potatoes
green salad
pistachio salad
sweet potatoes
yeast rolls
cranberry sauce
pies
Christmas cookies &candy
:smile:

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
:grin: Favorite Christmas song? Sleigh Bells.

:grin: Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel, will be in Ill. this year..

:grin: Angel on the tree top or a star? Star.

:grin: Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning?One Christmas Eve. The rest Christmas morning.

:grin: Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Mom has to turn the tree lights on and make an get a cup of coffee. Then we can open..

:grin: What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? The city does Silver Bells in the City the the second weekend in Dec, along with the tree lighting.

:grin: What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?Turkey, Ham, shrimp cocktail, sausage dressing, jello salad, corn mashed potatoes, gravy, assorted meats and cheeses, two layer pumpkin pie, mincemeat pie, and cheesecake..
:grin: When do you start shopping? I shop year round, but especially starting in October.

:grin: Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Ham

:grin: Clear lights or colored on the tree?
Both

HolidayAngel

Retire Member
Oct 18, 2007
When do you start shopping? I start shopping right after christmas.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? my great grandma's pies.

Clear lights or colored on the tree? clear but this year we have purple lights
Favorite Christmas song? Same Auld Lang

Travel at Christmas or stay home? both we stay home and then drive a hour to my childhood home.
Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel!

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? both they get pjs christmas eve

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? my grandma gives me a angel every christmas because my name is actually angel and we sew a bell on our stockings for every christmas we spend together.

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Winter Wonderland

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? it varies year to year

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Started this month and will probably have it all done by end of November
Anything as long as I don't have to cook it!!
Clear on one tree, and multi on the other 3
Favorite Christmas song?
Love the Nutcracker
Stay at home
2 angels, 1 santa, 1 star
will do christmas day this year as our son and daughter in law are staying home this year
nothing really,
we have a light show put on by major local charity that is fun to drive by
turkey, ham, and all the other goodies

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
When do you start shopping? Right after Christmas.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Christmas cookies and tea.

Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear.

Favorite Christmas song? Too many to list. Favorite carol is Lo, How a Rose e'er Blooming.

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home. I'm a church musician, and I'm always busy at Christmas.

Angel on the treetop or a star? A star that my husband made for our first tree. He bent a wire clothes hanger into the shape of a star, and wrapped it in silver tinsel garland. It was looking pretty worn, so I covered it with a gold tinsel garland several years ago. It's been on our tree for over 40 years.

Open presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas Eve.

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? We have wine and cheese while we open our presents on Christmas Eve. Then we go to Midnight Mass, where I am usually singing and/or playing my harp. We have brunch around noon on Christmas Day, then we relax, listen to Christmas CDs, play with our new toys, and maybe watch a movie.

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Festival of Trees, Christmas parade, carol services, Messiah singalongs.

What is a typical menu for a Christmas meal for your family? Brunch is usually a strata or quiche, tossed green salad, ham, grits, sweet rolls, champagne, mimosas, coffee, tea. We usually have dessert later in the afternoon -- pecan pie, angel food cake with a fruit compote, and frequently a new recipe I've found in Christmas magazines.

liltattoo

MHH Member
Oct 22, 2007
When do you start shopping? Never stop

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Grandma's Christmas Cookies

Favorite Christmas song? Rusty Chevrolet

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home

Angel on the tree top or a star? Star

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? One on Christmas eve and the rest Christmas morning

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Not yet but we're working on it

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Here in Germany they have tons of Christmas markets

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Rolls, Relish tray, Deviled eggs and apple pie.

PeaceHopeJoy

MHH Member
Oct 29, 2007
carrie224.wordpress.com
:grin: When do you start shopping? I make most of my gifts, so I do that year round. But the boys are hard to make anything for, so we buy something for them. Usually in November.

:grin: Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate and egg nog

:grin: Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored

:grin: Favorite Christmas song? Silent Night

:grin: Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home

:grin: Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel

:grin: Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Morning

:grin: Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Not really

:grin: What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Parades, my church doe a fabulous Christmas program

:grin: What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? Pretty traditional - turkey, green bean casserole, potatoes, pecan pie

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
It varies from year to year. This year, I started in Jan, but haven't done much the past few months. (Typically, it was Nov)

Cookies! The bosses wife brings in wonderful cookies every year.

We have both. I love to sit with the house lights off and only the tree lights lit!!!!

Favorite Christmas song?
I like Carol of the Bells, but really....I love almost all of them!!!

We stay home.

A star. It lit the way for the Three Wise Men to find baby Jesus. It lights our way, too.

Christmas morning

The archway cookies while decorating the tree has been one since my kids were real small. The love those cookies and expect those cookies!

A small tree lighting ceremony for a tree in the gazebo.

ham with pink gravy
potatoes
deviled eggs
green bean casserole
rolls
picles/olives
sweet potatoes
some years pies and some years I make a cake instead

HotMama

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
:bigsnow:

START SHOPPING:- I started shopping at the beginning of OCT. Bought all my kids presents only family left.

FAVOURITE THING TO EAT:- Anything Homemade and made with love..
I also love mulled wine and mince pies.

CLEAR LIGHTS/COLOURED:- We have both, as we have a coloured lights tree in the living room and a lovely big tree in the kitchen with cleared lights. It helps inspire me to make homemade food and its lovely when we all sit around the table.

CHRISTMAS SONG:- Happy Holidays. Ilove to dance around the kichen with my too kids who always think mummy has gone a little bit crazy at this point...... who cares if the neighbours see.....????????

TRAVEL OR STAY AT HOME:- "No place like home".

ANGEL OR STAR: Both, one on each tree.

OPEN PRESENTS:- on christmas morning, but I think I may try the American tradtion of opening one on Christmas Eve.

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS:- Stir up Sunday- one of my faves, Listen to my christmas music then. Hubby loves to help and we all enjoy stiring the Pud. I make Cake, Pudding and mincemeat.

24 Days of Christmas-I bought a novelty advent calandar and inside for each day I put a gold coin for each child and an activity to do each day together- ranging from driving around to see lights with hot cocoa to making snowflakes and cards.

School concerts. My eldest is 5 and he still has a nativity concert. It just makes my heart swell looking at him and all his friends together, definitley up there with the best.

COMMUNITY:- Pretty bad to have to say this, but coming from the UK, we do not have much in the way of community traditions only the church carol concert. We are way behind all you lovely american ladies when it comes to celebrating in style.

TYPICAL MENU:- Starter: Italian Bruchetta/Pate and melba toast
Main: Turkey, sausage and bacon rolls, Yorkshire Pudding, Roast potato, mashed potato, stuffing, brussel sprouts, carrot, broccoli and gravy
DESSERT: Homemade christmas pudding and homemade hot buttery rum sauce (Delia Smith recipies) all served on a generation handmedown platter and jug.

Nothing like keeping traditions alive........... :pink:

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
When do you start shopping? Black Friday

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Cranberry bread

Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear except for one small tree

Favorite Christmas song? The Christmas Song

Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay at home

Angel on the tree top or a star? Neither, large bow

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Morning with one gift Christmas Eve

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? Cracker jacks and pez in the kids stockings..they are all adults now but still do it

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Nothing out of the ordinary

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? Pork roast with cranberry sauce topping and all the trimmings

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA
When do you start shopping? got a few things in september but about to start in earnest now.

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? anything, i am a foodie

Clear lights or colored on the tree? coloured and twinkley

Favorite Christmas song?silent night and last christmas by wham

Travel at Christmas or stay home? stay at home

Angel on the tree top or a star? angel, her name is mary

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? not really, just to have a nice family time with as little stress as possible

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? christmas markets, candlelight services and carols, christmas parade

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family?garlic mushrooms and salad, roast beef, yorkshire pudding, vegetables, apple pie and cream or icecream, this year we're going to have a light sponge with custard or cream (at the moment)

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
When do you start shopping? all year, but I really get down to business in October

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? my father's Christmas stollen (he's a baker)

Clear lights or colored on the tree? I like clear, but the kids want colored, so we have both

Favorite Christmas song? Little Drummer Boy

Travel at Christmas or stay home? we stay in town

Angel on the tree top or a star? an angel

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? both, Santa comes on Christmas Eve (he has since I was a kid) and family gifts are on Christmas Day

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? going out to look at lights or out to eat on Christmas Eve and the kids are amazed that Santa was there while we were gone; an ornament exchange with my side of the family - gets kind of cut throat because we can steal others; my parents are German immigrants so we have always gone to a German Mass on Christmas morning with all of our cousins and their families

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? Christmas parade is in 2 weeks!

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? ham &/or turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, breads

Kene

Retire Member
Nov 4, 2007
Metro Phoenix, AZ
When do you start shopping? I start when we have the cash avalible for it (normaly last week in November)

Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My MIL's candy yams

Clear lights or colored on the tree? Colored

Favorite Christmas song? Don't have one but love the disney christmas CD with mickey and all the charaters singing the songs.

Travel at Christmas or stay home? We go to my families Christmas eve and get home after midnight and spend the morining home till 9am then meet DH family.

Angel on the tree top or a star? A Star Dh and I got our first christmas living together. Son broke it 2 christmas ago and DH searched the next year to find me the exact same one.

Open the presents on Christmas Eve or morning? We do 1 gift Christmas Eve and rest in the morning before meeting up with DH family.

Does your family have any special Christmas traditions? not really but I want to find some for us!

What interesting things does your community do at Christmas? we have Glendale glitters and Zoo lights. Not sure of anything else.

What is the typical menu for a Christmas meal in your family? What ever the family makes!