Christmas Countdown Week One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The countdown is off to a great start for me. I have everything done!! All I have to do is buy Christmas stamps, but they aren't out in Canada yet. This is going to me my best year ever!!

Have a great week everyone!!

:snowman: Melanie

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm all done for week 1 as well, just need to buy the stamps. I've even done more than what's on the list. LOL I'm determined to be fully ready this year by December 1st, minus baking.

This week I want to:

:stocking: Make appt for family picture
:stocking: Samuel haircut
:stocking: Buy stamps

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
I was surprised when I noticed the Countdown was starting. Where did the time go? I'm so excited. I have most things printed from last year. I feel calm and stress-free for the upcoming holiday. I'm also excited because we took the kids' holiday pic last week while we were in Disney. We were in Downtown Disney and they had a Happy Holidays display set up. It was perfect. Now, what's on that list for this week? I guess I'd better get started.... :smile:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've been with the organizedchristmas site for 5 or 6 years. The first few years, I just read but didn't really do a lot. I think all that reading finally soaked in. Each year I've started doing more and more. My notebook is probably the best thing I've done to help me get ready.

This year was the first year I was active with the Rudolph Club almost every month. So I really feel ready, almost like it should hurry up and get here. lol

Since we moved into a brand new house, this week's "Do-It List" is really short. My Christmas tree is up and has the lights on it because I store it that way. It still is in the closet. I need to pull it out to vacuum the corner so I'll add checking the lights on the tree to my list this week. If I need to replace a string of lights I can do a little each day. I have extra lights because I bought them on sale last year. And make sure the revolving tree stands works.

I need to make Christmas cards. So that's down for Rudolph's Day. I picked up stamps this week. I'm toying with the idea of a family photo. I think I'll cook a Sunday dinner in a few weeks to bribe everyone to the house. We'll do our own photo taking and printing.

I do need to inventory my gifts. Yes, I have been putting this off. I did look it over. Ok, was downstairs, I did do the inventory. It's on my desk in the bedroom. Hmmm, don't even remember doing it.

I need to mail my Stocking partner her package after I wrap the gifts so I can stuff the stocking and get it on the way.

Because of the countdown my Address list is done and it's on the computer. I keep it updated if I get a new addresses during the year.

Carpet is ok this year but will need doing next year. I do spot cleaning on a regular schedule. With no pets it stays a lot cleaner than it did when I had dogs and cats in the house.

I don't expect any overnight guests and I always host the dinner.

Holiday Values. My DH would just as soon have no Holiday celebration what so ever. Slap a TV dinner on his plate, turn on a game and he'd be a lot happier. I decided years ago I'd do what I want for the Holidays.

I keep a list on my computer's desktop of gift ideas. So I know what's left to buy for the main people. DH office is getting wrapping paper from an idea posted last year and I picked it up on sale after Christmas last year. Neighbors will get my homemade candy which I can't make until the week of Christmas. For two reasons, I'll eat it if it's around and it can't be frozen. I have a jar of drunken cherries in the refrig waiting for me to make candy already.

I'm good on the cookie front. We have to eat gluten free so I don't make a lot of cookies. I have frozen bananas and cranberries for bread in the freezer.

So this countdown really does work well. I didn't think I was this ready. Bring it on! :rudolph:

This cold I have is kicking my arse!!! I did not get ANYTHING done today. I watched food network and TLC channels while I lay in bed. I am unfortunately at work right now til 9 pm!!! And then I have to return back here at 8 in the morning after dropping my boys off at school.

I took off of one job next Saturday so I can get the family pics done. Hopefully none of my boys get as sick as I have been otherwise the pics might not happen. I have to check the weather for next weekend also :huh: hopefully it will be real nice out for pictures. Otherwise I have to schedule an appointment at a portrait studio or try again the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I too have to do the gift closet "thing". I have to scope out all the gifts in there and assign accordingly(Rudy day project). I plan on starting with a fresh and empty gift "closet" (luggage bags underbed...lol) for 2008 and with this new forum site to help give me a kick start it will work out wonderfully!!!

The rest will come as they may. I will update as the week goes on......

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
Like Elf-in-Training, I am also waiting for the 2007 Christmas stamps to come out - I checked in with the post office on Thursday and the stamps won't be coming out until November 1st. I've addressed the envelopes, I just need stamps. I am going to hold off on sending them until the last week in November, I get teased enough as it is about being such a Christmas geek. :bigsnow:

Jingle Belle

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I will be getting a slow start on the Countdown, as I always do. We do a lot for Halloween, so it's always tricky to get much done on the Countdown until after it's over. But November 1 I'll be in raring to go!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I'm in the same boat this year, Jingle Belle (great name, by the way!!). I'm using this week to get ready for our party Saturday night, so next week I'll be doubling up. Fortunately, the first week's chores are done this year! Yea! I've been working on things since early summer, so it's not too overwhelming...yet. I always get a little panicy around the end of November, first of December...but then I realize that I'm so far ahead of everyone else that it passes quickly!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thank goodness I have most everything done for this week! My college courses started today and i'm going to be so loaded down with work it's ridiculous. I've never had two classes that had so much work, but then again they are only 8 weeks long so they have to cram it in there.

I'm determined though to stick with the CC and get my few things done this week that I have left. And I might even start on next week's if I get a chance so I can stay ahead and not lag behind.

christmas3

MHH Member
Oct 15, 2007
I hope I can follow this plan. :thud: It seems the more I try to get organized the more disorganized I become. :help: I think I have alot of this week already done. :D I am going to try to get my house half way picked up. I do pretty good with the house during the week but the weekends are what turns my house upside down. :( We come and go all weekend. We run in and sit stuff down, change clothes and leave again. There is no time to put the stuff we brought in up or we are just to tried to do it. For the last 2 weeks we have had something EVERY night and EVERY weekend. I am going crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep thinking if it is this crazy now what does December have in store for me. That is kinda scary!!!!

Christmas3
:haha: :haha: :haha:

peppermint pattie

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I have done alot of cards. Have to buy more. I forgot to check for stamps. I have about 10 friends at church I buy for. I found oven mitts at the dollar tree either green and white stripe or red and white stripe. Theyhad silicone spatulas that I put in and now just to decide whether to put brownie mix or make some peppermint bark. But that's a load off my mind. We don't spend m uch and at least this issomething they can use. :bigsnow:

tink1963

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
I'm making good progress for this first week. I just need to find cards and get those stamps.

:bigsnow:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I noticed in the online UPS store they are already selling the Madonna and Child stamps as well as snowflake stamps. I know several of us have been waiting for holiday stamps to go on sale!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
[quote="Ahorsesoul ]
So this countdown really does work well. I didn't think I was this ready. Bring it on! :rudolph:[/quote]

I am really really impressed! Thanks. You have inspired me. I had printed out the notebook forms last January and now that I'm picking up my notebook Oct. 24, I feel ready to "bring it on, too!" :grin:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
peppermint pattie said:
I have done alot of cards. Have to buy more. I forgot to check for stamps. I have about 10 friends at church I buy for. I found oven mitts at the dollar tree either green and white stripe or red and white stripe. Theyhad silicone spatulas that I put in and now just to decide whether to put brownie mix or make some peppermint bark. But that's a load off my mind. We don't spend m uch and at least this issomething they can use. :bigsnow:

Oh, I love the oven mitt idea. I crochet dish cloths! These would go great! Thanks! :frosty:

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I like the oven mitt idea also...why not put a travel size hand cream to soften those hands that will do :grin: all that baking!!!