Christmas Decorating 2023

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Good morning MHH friends...As we get closer to decorating our homes for the festive season do you have a date every year when you start decorating and do you decorate the same every year or have you got a new decorating plans for 2023.....

For me i always start decorating in the middle of November every year....I try and keep the same theme every year except for the windows i seem to change it regular as i always see something different on the run upto decorating for the festive season...How about you guys?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I start nov1st. I take down Halloween. I leave some fall up but I put Christmas decorations up. I have a tree I leave up all year that I change for the holidays. . But I have my other tree that is for Christmas in another room . I would like to get a real tree this year for the living room to put in front of the big window but not sure yet. We moved last year on dec 22 so I didn’t decorate like I wanted to . I have a lot of hallmark ornaments I use every year. But I buy different things to put out each year . Can’t wait . I have 3 doors I put wreaths on my daughter makes . Even though I have been looking at Christmas at work since the end of July . I can’t wait to decorate my house .

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
For me, Halloween will come down Nov. 1st, but autumn decor will stay up through Thanksgiving. If I'm hosting, I'll have DD and DSiL help me get the Christmas bins in from the garage after dinner. If not, I'll tackle it or call in my chef friend and his son to help get the heavy ones down from the top shelf. I've done it myself, but am not keen on tackling it alone any more. Autumn gets put away on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and that weekend is dedicated to Christmas decor. First, the tree gets done, and then everything else. For the most part, I decorate the same / similar every year. If something isn't working or breaks, I'll replace it and work the new into my decor. Some of the items I have are herilooms that have been handed down (like the elves from my GM and DH's mom, that probably date back to the 40s -- the elf always showed up at GMs after Thanksgiving, and would then magically appear at our house the next morning to keep an eye on our behavior during the pre-Christmas season).

Exterior decor is somewhat limited, living in a townhome community with rules and regulations. So, my outdoor decor is limited to the front porch (I've done large lanterns with greenery and battery-operated flicker candles), a holiday door mat, and a wreath on the door. I also hang wreaths around the lights on either side of my garage, and usually hang green swags with bows off my deck railing. I may swap out the laterns this year, still haven't decided / haven't seen anything that I like better than what I've been doing.

It's just me here, and I decorate to make myself happy. I like having a festive home, should I have friends over for dinner or cocktails during the season. How much I do / don't get to is only up to me and how I'm feeling during the holiday season.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
For me, Halloween will come down Nov. 1st, but autumn decor will stay up through Thanksgiving. If I'm hosting, I'll have DD and DSiL help me get the Christmas bins in from the garage after dinner. If not, I'll tackle it or call in my chef friend and his son to help get the heavy ones down from the top shelf. I've done it myself, but am not keen on tackling it alone any more. Autumn gets put away on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and that weekend is dedicated to Christmas decor. First, the tree gets done, and then everything else. For the most part, I decorate the same / similar every year. If something isn't working or breaks, I'll replace it and work the new into my decor. Some of the items I have are herilooms that have been handed down (like the elves from my GM and DH's mom, that probably date back to the 40s -- the elf always showed up at GMs after Thanksgiving, and would then magically appear at our house the next morning to keep an eye on our behavior during the pre-Christmas season).

Exterior decor is somewhat limited, living in a townhome community with rules and regulations. So, my outdoor decor is limited to the front porch (I've done large lanterns with greenery and battery-operated flicker candles), a holiday door mat, and a wreath on the door. I also hang wreaths around the lights on either side of my garage, and usually hang green swags with bows off my deck railing. I may swap out the laterns this year, still haven't decided / haven't seen anything that I like better than what I've been doing.

It's just me here, and I decorate to make myself happy. I like having a festive home, should I have friends over for dinner or cocktails during the season. How much I do / don't get to is only up to me and how I'm feeling during the holiday season.
WOW i didn't realize you have rules and regulations @Lori K ....Does these regulations come into force all over america?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lori K

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'll put up the tree/trees (still deciding on how many) October 31st while I'm watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. I started a few years ago when I waited for trick or treaters who never came so I thought I could make good use of the time by putting up the trees. I don't put ornaments until mid November but I love the look of the lit trees in the evenings. I don't decorate for Halloween other than the three plush ghosts (Mommy, Daddy, Sophia) that I've had since Sophia was little so fall all stays up through Thanksgiving and then the Christmas décor comes out. I've downsized drastically the last few years, there seem to be less flat spaces to decorate in this house and I like the minimalist look. This year, I will be doing a major cull of my ornaments in the event I decide to only have one tree. It's time for all the gimmicky ones to go. I've had whole sets of Santa ornaments from Hallmark that are just filler, they don't really have any sentimental value so I think it's time for them to go. That being said, as I think about it now, maybe I do have some attachment to them. Ugh, it's so hard. I could probably decorate five or six trees but we don't have the room and it's too much of a production to put them up and take them down. As I said, I'm moving in the minimalist direction.

Vic does the outside lights November 1 and we have a giant wreath that goes above the garage and giant ornaments that he hangs near the front door. I need to order my fresh wreath or I might skip the expense and just go with the fake one I have.

Reactions: frostythesnowman

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I decorate to make myself happy. I like having a festive home,
Well said, Lori. I doubt that DH would care if I decorated or not but if we have friends over I'm sure he's pleased that the house looks festive.

My main decorations go on the LR fireplace mantle. I have fall up and it will stay until Advent when I will decorate for Hanukkah. I will swap out some fall decor for Halloween stuff after Oct. 1.

After Hanukkah I put out some Christmas decor and try to mix it in. Eventually it becomes just "winter" which will stay up until Valentine's Day.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
What little Halloween I have (a few annalee dolls) I’ll put away right after Halloween. Fall/ thanksgiving all comes down on Black Friday. I’ll start 3 of my 4 Christmas trees in early November so I don’t aggravate my back. The rest of the house is decorated for Christmas on thanksgiving weekend. My decorations are pretty much the same every year. The entryway tree is the only tree I change up each year. I am making a new floral arrangement for the dining room table this year. My husband try’s to get the outside lights out the beginning of nov. He’s been wanting to try a new set up, we’ll see if he gets to that this year.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
WOW i didn't realize you have rules and regulations @Lori K ....Does these regulations come into force all over america?
Not all neighborhoods have an HOA. In my area, condo and townhomes all tend to have a homeowner's association (HOA), but also some single-family communities, too. My area has 4 associations under a master HOA -- the original townhomes (where I live), a condo building, single family homes, and a new townhome section that has their own HOA. Across the street is a neighborhood that has no HOA, just a committee that handles maintenance of the entrance to their neighborhood (signage and plantings).

In the 4 communities where I live, there are rules and regulations that were approved by the first governing board and stipulate how the community association is set up, managed, and the documents lay out owner vs. association obligations. For example, it sets out who is financially responsible for grounds and exterior maintenance, painting, and roofing; it defines common areas (association maintained) and limited common areas (like my deck, since it is only accessible from inside my unit), and what colors must be used on exterior doors, trim, and railings, should the owner want to do their own painting; what may be planted in-ground and who is responsible for non-association plantings, etc.

For the holidays, the HOA stipulates when holiday decorations may go up and when they must be taken down (30 days before / after) the major holidays that are celebrated within our neighborhood. For Christmas, this is to insure that your creche or blow-up Santa on the front lawn is removed before Valentine's Day or Easter. For Christmas, because we may have snow, we need to keep any decor away from sidewalks and steps, so they don't obstruct snow removal. There is also a time when exterior lights must be turned off (midnight?), so they don't impact neighbors.

Each HOA makes the rules for their particular neighborhood and its needs. They are primarily designed to help maintain uniformity and to keep up property values. Our "master" HOA insures that each HOA operates within a similar set of documents, and it handles maintenance of the entrance areas, grounds for the entrances and center medians, on our two major roads. They also handle water and electric lighting for those areas, as these elements and their costs are shared by all 4 HOAs. Does this make sense?

girlfromthebog

MHH Member
Jun 3, 2023
NY
we go cut down our tree from a farm the weekend after thanksgiving. we typically "hold" it for another few days outside, and bring it inside the first weekend of december. if you've seen "christmas vacation", that's us! schlepping around in a field in the cold looking for a tree to cut down and strap to the roof of the car! :) (so far, no squirrels!) we dont have any outdoor items other than a wreath on the door usually, we're not inflatables or outdoor lighting kind of people (altho now that our son is fully in the xmas magic age, maybe we'll expand with some outdoor decorations... tbd!)

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Not all neighborhoods have an HOA. In my area, condo and townhomes all tend to have a homeowner's association (HOA), but also some single-family communities, too. My area has 4 associations under a master HOA -- the original townhomes (where I live), a condo building, single family homes, and a new townhome section that has their own HOA. Across the street is a neighborhood that has no HOA, just a committee that handles maintenance of the entrance to their neighborhood (signage and plantings).

In the 4 communities where I live, there are rules and regulations that were approved by the first governing board and stipulate how the community association is set up, managed, and the documents lay out owner vs. association obligations. For example, it sets out who is financially responsible for grounds and exterior maintenance, painting, and roofing; it defines common areas (association maintained) and limited common areas (like my deck, since it is only accessible from inside my unit), and what colors must be used on exterior doors, trim, and railings, should the owner want to do their own painting; what may be planted in-ground and who is responsible for non-association plantings, etc.

For the holidays, the HOA stipulates when holiday decorations may go up and when they must be taken down (30 days before / after) the major holidays that are celebrated within our neighborhood. For Christmas, this is to insure that your creche or blow-up Santa on the front lawn is removed before Valentine's Day or Easter. For Christmas, because we may have snow, we need to keep any decor away from sidewalks and steps, so they don't obstruct snow removal. There is also a time when exterior lights must be turned off (midnight?), so they don't impact neighbors.

Each HOA makes the rules for their particular neighborhood and its needs. They are primarily designed to help maintain uniformity and to keep up property values. Our "master" HOA insures that each HOA operates within a similar set of documents, and it handles maintenance of the entrance areas, grounds for the entrances and center medians, on our two major roads. They also handle water and electric lighting for those areas, as these elements and their costs are shared by all 4 HOAs. Does this make sense?
Wow very interesting @Lori K thank you for explaining the rules and regulations much appreciated my friend:)

Reactions: Lori K

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I normally decorate the last weekend of November or the first of December. It depends on sporting commitments.
If things go to plan with retirement in 2024 this will be the last year that I decorate a big house. I am not sure if I will go all out or pare it right down and really cull a lot of what I have.
We will have to rethink how we decorate at the farm, we might not be spending Christmas there but back here with family.