Christmas get-together ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
- Christmas ornament Exchange
- Dessert Party... to share!
- Tree-trimming get-together
- Caroling
- Progressive dinner... begin at one house with appetizers, and move on to other houses for salad, soup, main cours & dessert
- Card (or tag) making party... buttons, ribbons, stamps, rick rack, pretty papers, decorative-edged scissors
- Gingerbread house building

(got these from my gooseberry patch).

Any other ideas? or maybe developing those listed

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We go on a Christmas lights tour. We pack drinks and snacks in the car, we put Christmas music on the CD player and off we go. We park the car and walk around looking at all the lights.

We also have a Christmas movie night. We watch a christmas movie (this year it will be ELF), with the lights of the tree as company, and have snacks. I really enjoy this night.

This is a great thread. I am always looking for ideas for different things now that the kids are older.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Christmas Tea Party: get out the nice teacups, use Christmas flavored teas, serve gingerbread

Elf Celebration: have an elf themed event or make elf crafts, decorate a little elf tree,

Winter Craft workshop: make winter journals, calendars for the new year, etc

:merrychristmas:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Oh love the idea of a Christmas Tea Party! What teas are Christmas flavoured?? I think of Christmas when I smell cloves, nutmeg or cinnamon, but not sure if there are teas like that??

Katrina, We started doing a Christmas movie night last year - we watched The Santa Clause :) This year I've got National Lampoons Christmas Vacation (for grown ups) and Barbie's Christmas Carol for the girls. Well... probably more for me really since the girls aren't really old enough to watch a whole movie hehe ;)

We go to Carols by Candlelight each year. I like to make a day of putting the Christmas decorations and tree up as well. Thinking of having a Secret Santa picnic for the whole extended family too. Not sure how that's going to work out yet though.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
In the past I have gotten together with family and friends and they have brought their kids (toddlers/preschool and school age) over and we would spend the afternoon making cut out sugar cookies with the kids. The parents would bring one or 2 of the ingredients needed to make the cookies. The kids would be able to decorate them anyway they wanted to and at the end everyone had cookies to take home and enjoy.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Great thread!

Minta - I love the cookie party idea for kids!

We like making gingerbread houses - sometimes we cheat and use graham crackers to form the houses....they're smaller, but you can always make more than one. have each person bring a bag of candy to decorate (it can get expensive!)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Invite friends over for a movie night such as It's a Wonderful Life. Or some other Christmas classic.

Have pizza, big bowls of popcorn, other "movie" treats such as raisinettes.

The twist: Everyone come in their PJ's (or sweats).

Annie

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Thanks Ginger! They look great - must keep an eye out for them over here. I'm sure the specialtiy tea shops will stock them :)

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I wanted to have a Christmas wrapping party. Everyone gets to use extra's from everyone else. Serve hot chocolate, play some music, just chill and spend some time together!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
As a scrapbooker, I almost forgot about a Christmas theme cropping party. I'm having one of those this summer for Christmas in July. I'm really excited for it and bought all kinds of goodies for it this past christmas. All in retro, bright christmas colors, which I thought were perfect for Christmas in the middle of summer!

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Along the same lines as a wrapping party, how about a card writing party? I'm really bad at sending cards. Will be good to have someone there to motivate me...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sarah,
Last year was the first year that we had movie night on Christmas Eve. The kids got Christmas Vacation and Nightmare before Christmas. Kids are 22 and 17 so OK movies. This year we are getting miracle on 34th street and ELF. We also get dressed up in our jammies and have a great night. I should get the Barbie christmas movie for DD17 I'm sure that she would love it.
:tree2: