Christmas in July: Color Themes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Awesome it's here! July.....can't believe how quickly June escaped me!

This "short" week if color themes....

What themes do you use? Which ones do you love? How do you store your color themed stuff? Is yours the same every year or different?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've done several different color schemes over the years but I'm gravitating back to the classic red, green with accents of white, gold and/or silver.

When the downstairs is finished again I will use all of my chocolate brown, copper and gold ornaments and other items for that space.

And I think that for the upstairs space (craft room/office) I will try something fun - that room is painted a light blue so maybe some turquoise and silver with pops of hot pink? Not sure, will have to ponder that one :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Red, green and white... but I'm starting to go more red/white/cream slowly

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We use red green and white, with natural elements. Pine cones grape vines, red cardinals
white decorated birdhouses and jingle bells. I am tweaking each year and redesigning various tablescapes.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have never set out to have a deliberate colour theme but as I think abut it and look back at old pictures from Christmas past- I realise that I am pretty drawn to a green, red and silver. A lot of things that I have collected over the years have ended up in this range and it just seems to work. I tend to go for a brighter green which really seems to pop with the silver. I use a lot of metalics so there is lots of shine and brightness.

I always go with a theme for my wrapping- still thinking on this years. Things we give to others are in one style. Things for DS are in another. Things for myself- yes I buy myself gifts and a stocking too. And things for puppy are in a third. We also have out own form of Elf on the Shelf- our Elf brings small wrapped gifts which are in another style. I started this years ago as an easy way to distinguish gifts when I put them out late on Christmas Eve- easy to tell which gift belonged to which person of they were in a different wrap style and have carried it on from there.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I have used a variety of themes and colors over the years.

When I was young and single and lived alone in the 80's in an apartment in a restored Victorian home I did a pink, gold and burgundy Victorian tree. I had 12 foot ceilings and my Frasier Fir tree was 10 1/2 foot. If I do say so myself, it was gorgeous.

I once had three fresh pine trees grouped together and decorated in white, green and red. Another year I did a fresh pine in all red and white.

When my boys were small and very curious, I went to the Dollar Tree and bought 25 stuffed snowmen and put them on my tree. I used 4 sizes of multicolored lights and glittered plastic snowflakes on the tree and hung snowflakes from the ceiling with fishing line and pushpins. As a final touch, I tucked cotton batting into the branches to look like drifted snow. It was my favorite tree ever.

A couple of years I did a green, red and brown theme. I really liked it in my living room. I found a bunch of amber acrylic ornaments on sale in Branson, Mo in a Christmas shop.

Another theme I loved was red, purple and gold. It was really pretty.

However, my favorite colors will always be red, green, gold and silver. I have used some burlap accents recently. This year I plan to do the same except minimize the burlap a bit and jazz it up with my favorite tartan and either checks or leopard. I use multicolored lights at my family's request. I also use a galvanized tub to put the tree in. It makes watering the fresh tree so easy.

I love the comments so far and can't wait to keep reading! Keep them coming!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I used to be all about blue and silver, but over the last five years or so, we went to a traditional colour scheme of burgundy reds, creamy off-whites and pearls, and dark greens with accents of gold. . Kind of a Victorian colour scheme more than the bright red, white and greens that I remember as a kid.
Last year I picked up a tree with coloured lights. It's an "apartment tree". I think that means really skinny? Anyways, my plan is to put that tree downstairs for all the mismatched homemade ornaments, silver tinsel, etc.
I also bought a little three foot tree. Plan is to do something different on it every year....maybe put it in the kitchen this year and do it all in browns and reds and silvers with mainly cookies and cookie cutters hung with ribbon. Maybe make those things where you stick cloves in little oranges and hang them as well.
As for wrapping, I try to co-ordinate it with the tree. I may be kind of weird in this, but I make sure to have other wrapping paper in that doesn't match my scheme but matches that of people on my list. My parents, for example, have a silver tree with blue ornaments, so I always wrap their gifts in blue with silver wrapping or silver with blue wrapping. My SIL has a white tree with black and purple ornaments, so I try to wrap in black, purple or white.
I must say, I'm liking that Frosty Cranberries scheme from the Pinterest board....may decorate my daughter's room that way :)

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Sounds beautiful!! For the past few years I have used kraft paper to wrap the gifts and went really luxe on the ribbon-mostly red velvet. Last year I found three patterns of vintage inspired wrapping paper at-love it when this happen-the dollar store for $1 per roll. It looked pretty mixed with the brown kraft paper and with the tartan ribbon I used also. I plan to repeat that again. I should have plenty because I bought extra.

I am still debating on the other trees in my house. The kitchen will likely be in a red, aqua and silver theme with some black checks possibly thrown in. But I do love that tartan in my kitchen too. It seems to go so well with my white pitchers and red berries, so the aqua may go. Lol. I also have some vintage glazes balls in the hot pink, aqua and yellows. We'll see!

I use cream and red in our bedroom.

Love this post!!!