Christmas in July Day Three

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Let's talk ornaments....what is your favorite ornament(s) and why? Do you have a special old one from when you were a child?

:clothes:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
My favorite ornaments are ones that the kids made or that were given to me by dear friends and family. I like an ornament to have a history.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I adore old world Santas.

Christmasstar

Retire Member
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario Canada eh!
I have an old one that my parents bought back in the 40's. It is so old I keep it in a special container now, to fragile to even hang on the tree anymore.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've got 2 I really like. One is a Santa in an undershirt which is the 1st ornament I bought for myself at 16. He is really cute. The other one is the Christmas wooden ornament we bought when we visited Disney with the kids

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
My favorite was one I remembered as a kid and got my grandparents when they passed. It was a glass ball with small springs around it making a cage and a fuzzy bird in it. It just fell apart one day. I could have cried.

Most of my ornaments also have back stories.

orangesforadam

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Most of my ornaments have stories, but I cherish those made by my kids with their sweet little hands. Also, I have a half orange that I bought for DH and I for our first Christmas.

goodelf

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2007
I have an angel my mother bought for me when I was 14 months old - she's a real 60's girl with a blonde pony tail and I fell in love with her on sight. She stays out all year round in my bedroom.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I cherish my ornaments that have a story as well. I have received some beautiful ornaments as gifts from friends - in particular my friend Jodie always sends me an ornament every year and most of them are handmade. I can tell what craft she is immersed in each year by the ornament - a knitted ornament, something cross-stitched, felted or quilted. The year I was thinking about going back to school to major in French, she sent me a beautiful bird in a nest with a Joyeux Noel banner around it.

Sadly, I don't have any ornaments from my childhood. A house fire took care of those although I did send my parents a Mom and Dad ornament each year for about fifteen years. I have inherited those so you can tell by the dates which Mom and Dad ornaments belonged to them and which later Mom and Dad belong to my husband and me after our daughter was born.

I think I'm going to start an annual favorite ornament tradition. As I decorate the tree this year, I'm going to pick one that brings back a cherished memory and share it on my blog.

Speaking of my blog, I have made our family blog private after a nuisance blogger so I am working on a new Christmas blog and the link will be up shortly. I hope some of you will visit; I loved hearing from you last year.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
None of my ornaments have stories to them, but I LOVE my Newbridge ornaments :D

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I can't say I have a exact favorite. Several I like more than others. My tree is basically all homemade ornaments (few store brought) so I have some that my g'ma made back when I first got married (almost 32 yrs ago) and I do have some that are from my great grandparents and grandparents that are the glass ones.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I love that my ornaments tell the story of our marriage/life together. I have lots of favorites...one of them is a Hallmark bear holding a tray of Christmas cookies that says mom from my kids.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
My favorite ornaments are two glass ones from when I was little, probably of pre-school age. They are the last to go onto the tree and first off to protect them.
Charlotte

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
There are no ornaments from my childhood. As a foster child, nothing belonged to me.

After my children were born, we tried to do special ornaments for them sometimes. I usually make them now for the grandkids, but sometimes after Christmas, Samuel and I are at HobLob to pick out the discounted ones. I did a lot of handmade ones for a while, and now my kids have them, esp. DD. I even taught my mom to make them. Last year, I made some snowman faces in a little embroidery hoop, and stitched the faces on. DD loved those. She likes snowmen almost as much as I do! I have also made them and given them as gifts.

Back then, I didn't like the old glass ones. Now, I love them. They have a history, which I love. Sometimes I will get them at antique stores for a couple of bucks. The older, the better, because they have lasted for so long.

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
My favorite ornament got broken a few years ago - it had been my grandmother's , then my mom's - then mine.

My mom was helping us decorate and fell while holding the ornament . . . she was fine and that was the most important - the ornament was in a million tiny shards of pink glass.

Oh well. . . now I treasure the ornaments from my kids (they have taken lots of them to their own homes, but I still have a few).

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have several...most that have been passed on to me from my mom. I think it is the nostagia of them being from my childhood.

AliciaKnits

Retire Member
Oct 19, 2011
My favorite ornaments are my Charming Tails ornamentsmy Grandma has bought for me over the last decade. I have a whole collection, but the ornaments and other Christmas figurines are my favorite. This year, I will set out the holiday ones on my mantle as each holiday goes by :)

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
I have three favorites. One is a glass angel from 1955 that I found at an antique store decades ago. One is a rag doll angel made for me in 1974 by a college friend. The third is a set of German angel ornaments owned by my Oma and passed down to me.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My favorites are a Miss Piggy plaster ornament that my younger brother painted for me when we were kids and my grandmother's crystal ornaments that have their own tree on the dining room buffet...away from little hands!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My favorites are a small set- one for my brother, my sis and me.
They are eggs where the yolk was blown out. Painted tan, and then something on them- one has Garfield, one has two mice singing, can't remember the 3rd right now. And then each of our names is on one. I remember each of us picking ours out at the local craft fair.

My other favorite is a tiny white bell with Snoopy and Woodstock carrying a christmas tree. I just LOVE that ornament!

Annie