Christmas 'Theme'?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I currently do themes in different rooms, some I will develop further for Christmas 2008.
Kitchen - snowmen
Cloaks - snowflakes
Living room - santa
Dining room - candy canes

I may do reindeers for my bathroom this year.

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I love to decorate different rooms with a theme. My bathroom is all snowmen, and it gets very crowded in there. My kitchen is a gingerbread theme with lighted garland decorated with fake sugar coated candies around my window and on top of the cabinets. The dinning room has a burgundy color theme. The living room/family room is just Christmas, and my guest bedroom I'm going to start this year trying to do a victorian theme. It's fun to look for specific decorations to put in empty spots.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I kind of had a light bulb moment today. I was thinking about my word for 2008 being "Home" and the thought struck me that I would go with a "There is no place like Home for the Holidays" theme for Christmas this year. I could do photo cards of our family on the front steps with the no place like home saying in it. I could make a banner or sign that say's it. I'll have to give further thought to decorating ideas. Christmas is such a Homey time of year it should be pretty easy to come up with some thoughts and ideas. I'm welcome to any suggestions!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I think that's a wonderful idea!
You could print up homey sayings like 'home is where you hang your heart' and 'be it ever so humble there is no place like home' and place them in glass ornaments on the tree,put them all in a glass vase or use them at place settings for Christmas dinner!

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
jackfrosty said:
I think that's a wonderful idea!
You could print up homey sayings like 'home is where you hang your heart' and 'be it ever so humble there is no place like home' and place them in glass ornaments on the tree,put them all in a glass vase or use them at place settings for Christmas dinner!
I love those ideas!!!

jodilee10128

Retire Member
Oct 23, 2007
These are all amazing ideas. Thanks so much. DH and I are the only ones in our family right now (hoping to change that soon). I'll brainstorm some ideas for a theme for my apartment this year.

I feel so inspired now!

KrustyTheCat

Retire Member
Mar 26, 2008
I've never really tried to do much of a theme, but last year with the wrapping paper I did all red and white. I'll probably keep with that this year, but obviously I can't expect FIL to do that when he ships his gifts from Pennsylvania. I might go with a themed tree though...last year I just wasn't feeling the holiday spirit as much, and didn't want to put everything up and on the tree, so we really scaled back and did a lot of home made decorations that the kids and I had done.
We'll see how I feel come fall.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I am doing my tree and decorations this year in all Santas. When I was putting away all my decorations and going thru stuff I seperated out all my Santa stuff and put it in one bin. I also got a lot of Santa stuff on super clearance like little Santa Pants ornaments, a a big black "belt " to put around the middle of the tree etc... I will add only red and white things as filler on the tree- ribbon, candy canes etc...

I also am going to complete a project I actually started a decade ago. It was from an idea posted in a Woman's day type magazine. While I lived in Alaska I collected little pieces of driftwood on the beach. I let them thoroughly dry and then painted them like little Santa faces with hats. They were not too difficult and all ended up having such personality. I did at least a hundred of them. What for??? Well--- I need to make a wreath out of them - just glue them all on the overlapping and such which was the original idea. I don't know why I have been so reluctant to do it but this year I am doing it since Santa is my theme.

I am also going to make a special Stocking for Santa with my toddler - I saw this in an old Family Fun magazine. I have some extra regular red and white plain jane stockings and I am going to put Santa's name on it. We will put it out on Christmas Eve - with carrots for the reindeer and a thank you note, a snack for the elves and a thank you note, and little hand warmer packet,a note to check the kitchen for his milk and cookies and a Thank you Letter to Santa for all his hard-work and all the presents and a little gift for Santa to take back to Mrs. Claus- maybe a little hand lotion or bath product.

Should be fun!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Pixiestick-what a lovely idea! I'm afraid we're heading on the downhill side of believing in Santa around here...DS7 made the comment last year that he thought Santa was Mom and Dad, but DS6 was adamant that he's real. I think we'll get another year out of the little one, but I think this will be it. How sad. However, I'm not sure that they'll admit it...on the front of my Christmas notebook it says "When you stop believing in Santa you get underwear for Christmas" and I think they are too scared that's true to make too much noise about Santa!

However, I personally still believe, so I just might make Santa a thank you stocking for my nephew to give him. Thanks for the cute idea.

Roryrory

Retire Member
Apr 23, 2008
Wow I never thought of a theme, other than one for colour-coordinated wrapping paper. I'll have to get thinking of one!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I have several themes. In the bathroom it's poinsettias, the kitchen- gingerbread, the master bedroom - giftboxes, and the guest room - toyland. My living and dining room has no theme. All the rooms flow together because nicely though because they all have one or more of the colors I like to use - red, gold, white and green. I also use gift wrap/bags, etc. in those colors.

jingle-jo

Retire Member
Feb 13, 2008
Staffordshire, UK
I have never followed a theme. My friends and family think I am nuts because I decorate the toilets and bathrooms! I think this year, every room in the house will be decorated. DD3 bought a christmas tree in the january sales for her bedroom with her birthday money! This now takes us up to 5 trees!!! (she's is going to follow in her crazy Mothers footsteps)

DD8 started to question about santa! Like: when santa visits houses, does he use the toilets? How does he get into the houses without chimneys? Where does santa park his sleigh when he delivers our presents? Why is my friends letter from santa different to mine? Why did santa leave us a magic key and pouch for reindeer food and not my friends? My work colleague came up with an answer which is perfect 'I don't know it's all magic!!'

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do decorating themes - a different one for each room/area of the house.

I am such a wrapping paper junkie that I never end up sticking to a color or subject theme where that is concerned. If it is pretty - I buy it! :-D

Anyways, I'll list my room themes below. They are all still a work in progress - and probably always will be - and some rooms the only theme is the use of certain colors - but I love decorating for Christmas and get such a kick out of it every year!

Living Room = Reindeer Theme, Royal Blue and Gold colors used for lights and majority of tree ornaments with various reindeer ornaments and misc. decorative objects in natural colors around the room...

Downstairs Hallway - Caroling & Cardinals Theme, Red & Silver ornaments used on tree, tiny little red feather cardinals used on tree, a lovely Victorian theme Caroler dolls set, etc...

Downstairs Bathroom - Beachy Christmas Theme, Red, White & Blue ornaments on little tree plus glass palm tree ornaments with a Jimmy Buffet like Parot tree topper (just a large glass ornament I wired to the top)...

Master Bedroom - Snowflake Theme, Blue and White colors

Upstairs Bathroom - Snowman Theme, Yellow/Dark Red/Moss Green colors...which sound odd for a snowman theme, I know - but the snowman shower curtain I got from LTD uses those colors and it is really cute. It is kind of a country snowman look...

Dining Room - Classic Christmas Theme, Red/Green/Gold/Silver colors used on tree and mantle

Kitchen - Sugared Plums Theme, Dark Green/Dark Purple/Dark Red/Gold colors used to decorate above windows and cupboards with sugared fruit accents...

Spare Room - Romantic Christmas Theme, Pink/Green/Gold colors used on tree

Three Season Porch - Outdoors/Gardening Theme, Copper/Chocolate/Gold colors used on tree and for decorations on shelves...

:sleigh: