CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades: 1950s A Change in the Social Scenes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I wasn’t born until the 1960s, so it was fun for me to do some research about things in the 1950s. Unless you’ve done some research on your own about the different decades, I hope you’re as surprised as I am about some of the things I learned. Come join me as we stroll through the 1950s.

One of the things I never knew was how the end of World War II, as well as technological advances of the time, shaped the changes in the social scene of the times. This new post-war period brought prosperity with it. Women were no longer working long hours in factories to replace the lost manpower from spouses being gone to war. Men were finding themselves at jobs that allowed the family to purchase houses in developed neighborhoods, and women were returning to their roles as homemakers – a role taken seriously during this time period to show just how prosperous they really were.

An entire new social scene began to take shape. Whereas celebrations of the past had been mainly with family, including extended family, the celebration began to include entertaining friends in one’s home. Coupled with that was the desire to put together the best party, best food, and best image.

Adults and children alike donned their best clothes for the celebrations, whether the celebrations were for family only or one of the get togethers of friends at their home. Family was still the main focus of the holiday, but this was the time that social gatherings were beginning to take shape.

It was during this time, too, that cookie exchanges began to take shape – a tradition that still holds through today. I found this link for planning an exchange.

https://www.iheartnaptime.net/cookie-exchange/

Another thing that happened was families tried to regain the yesteryears before the wartime period. So, traditions were important. They wanted to be surrounded by family and friends. This also led to the gathering of family and friends in one’s home.

Over the next few days, I hope to show you some of the traditions, gifts, movies, songs, and other things that were part of the 1950s.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
When I was first teaching, I participated in a work Christmas cookie exchange. It opened my eyes to cookies I never heard of before.
I can see a cookie exchange happening should we gather for meet up. July 25 2024 or 2025?
We could do a virtual one where we try a new-to-us cookie, upload a picture and then share the recipe.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Now, ....... I want Christmas cookies for breakfast! Ah ha ha ha :D

Thanks, I enjoyed all that info!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I can see a cookie exchange happening should we gather for meet up. July 25 2024 or 2025?
Wonderful idea! Would vote for '25 at this time.

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Adults and children alike donned their best clothes for the celebrations,
I remember getting new clothes for Rosh Hashannah (New Year's) in the early fall when we would all walk to the local park and show off our finery - and for Passover in the spring.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia