CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades 1950s: What's Going on in the Kitchen?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
How can we celebrate the holidays without a look at the foods that were gracing the tables of the 1950s Christmases?

The 1950s saw some of the biggest changes of history as far as the kitchen goes. In the 1950s, cookstoves that could be set with timers to turn on and turn off were introduced. Saran Wrap came out in 1953. Tupperware was invented in 1948, but didn’t become popular until the 1950s when a housewife from Florida decided to start selling it from home and having parties. The dishwasher and microwave (although hugely unaffordable at $1300), and non-stick Teflon pans came out for purchase. Many small appliances were made available – in many of the retro colors we see today – making the process of food preparation easier and less time consuming. Many of the recipes and cookware used during the 1950s are widely popular today.

1950s and enter…the casserole! How many recipes have we shared here at MHH for breakfast casseroles to make Christmas morning easier? And what shall we put those casseroles in? Corning Ware of course! Its discovery was an accident, but The Corning Glass company found a use for it in the space industry, as well as in home cooking. Corning was responsible for building parts for the space capsule that could withstand the extreme temperature difference of the capsule’s passing through the atmosphere. Thus, a material that could go from freezer to oven or vice versa all in the same container! It could even be used directly on top of the stove – gas or electric, or under the broiler. Campbell’s soup company was one of the first to grab hold of this new food trend. Their green bean casserole is still one of the most looked up recipes each year from Thanksgiving through the beginning of January.

https://www.campbellsoupcompany.com...gs-you-didnt-know-about-green-bean-casserole/

1688952702120.png

https://pocahontastimes.com/corning-ware-never-wears-out/

1688952741511.png

The cocktail hour for the gatherings of friends and family had become extremely important. Gelatin was another new food on the market and layered salads and aspics were touted as the rage to be served. Those soon went by the wayside, but there are some classics that have never gone away – deviled eggs, shrimp cocktails, hot crab dip, and cheeseballs to name a few. My own family requests no less than 3 different cheeseballs at Christmas. Cold cuts and vegetables were offered on toothpicks presented from a Christmas tree shaped cone.

1951 is the year the Butterball, followed by Con Agra, mass produced turkeys now that freezers were being produced, not just for manufacturers, but for home owners, too. Freezers allowed the turkeys to be grown at any time of the year, frozen, and sold when the demand was high. Before this, prime rib was actually the most cost efficient meat offered for the Christmas meal. Not so today!

The Christmas meal began to look much like what is serve in many homes today. Turkey and/or ham with pineapple studded with cloves or prime rib, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, dressing or stuffing, cranberry sauce, and rolls. Parker House rolls were one of the favorites as the roll choice. Years ago (when in high school), I made them frequently, but have lost my original recipe. In the original recipe, I cut them with a biscuit cutter, and they were folded over 2/3 to form a “flap,” if you will, and brushed with butter. Here is one from Southern Living:

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/parker-house-rolls

These are some traditional things from the 1950s that Taste of Home feels is worthy of a comeback.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/retro-holiday-traditions-that-deserve-a-comeback/

It was the dawn of processed foods and cakes may have been baked using a cake mix, instead of being baked from scratch, for the first time in the 1950s.

1688952795600.png

What traditions have been handed down in your family as far as food goes? I hope you’ve enjoyed this look at the 1950s!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Thanks Jane I have learned so much. Who knew that Corning ware was space age material. Kudos to the brilliant mind that thought to used it in another form.

DH mentioned that it is no wonder that “Grandma’s “recipes of scratch cooking are so valuable and lived when learning about the creation of cake mixes.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I knew Corning Ware was durable but had no clue about all of it's history and capabilities! I just dug out the two pieces I have left to confirm the stamp on the bottom. They are in the French White design - and I only have the glass lid for the small round one - but they still work great!!! I collect white dishes, serving pieces etc. and think Corning Ware in that pattern needs to go on my Wish List! :D

Green Bean Casserole is such a classic and loved the history shared! Looking at the original recipe card was a kick!!! I have always added some freshly shredded Sharp Cheddar and some small cubes of Velveeta to our version of the casserole. To turn it into a main dish I add shredded cooked chicken breast as well - rotisserie chicken chopped up is also great!

Deviled Eggs and Shrimp Cocktail are standard for almost every holiday for our family - Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

I don't make Parker House rolls exactly but Butterhorn Rolls - but they seem similar...

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My first taste of the green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole wasn't until I was in my 30's at one of my sister-in-law's house. At my childhood Christmas dinner, guests showed up 15 minutes before the meal. A tossed salad started the meal. We had green beans with butter. Sweet potates were baked with apples. Potatoes were mashed and very decadent. Cranberry sauce and stuffing was for Thanksgiving.

My sister-in-law's Christmas dinners are similar to my childhood Christmas dinners. We show up 15 minutes before the meal. She serves bread instead of potatoes and fruit salad instead of a tossed salad. Like my childhood Christmas dinner, she serves turkey and ends the meal with a tray of homemade Christmas cookies.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Well, I ditto what everyone has said so far! It was fun reading over the links. Fascinating about Corningware. I thing I have some around here. And yep, still making Green Bean Casserole! YUM

• Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have never had a green bean casserole, I don't think I had ever heard from it until I joined here. Maybe something to try.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I tried green bean casserole once. Nope, it's not for me. Our fresh green beans were always boiled until soft, with bacon and salt & pepper. The sweet potatoes were candied with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, and marshmallows melted on the top. Definitely baked in Corning Ware. I loved the Parker House rolls.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've been bringing green bean casserole to Thanksgiving dinner for several years and it is always a hit.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@GrammaDeb My sis doesn’t do ‘fungus’ … thus she doesn’t use Cream of Mushroom soup. She’s will use Cream of Asparagus or Chicken.
I actually make my own rue … sautéing onions and mushrooms first.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
@GrammaDeb My sis doesn’t do ‘fungus’ … thus she doesn’t use Cream of Mushroom soup. She’s will use Cream of Asparagus or Chicken.
I actually make my own rue … sautéing onions and mushrooms first.
Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only person who calls those nasty, slimy, dirt-flavored things “fungus.” Seeing you call them that is just too funny. My dsil puts them in everything he cooks…and I call them fungus to poke him. But nah, even though I don’t care for mushrooms, it’s the onion things on the top that I don’t like so much.

• Haha
Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Oh my goodness, I thought I was the only person who calls those nasty, slimy, dirt-flavored things “fungus.” Seeing you call them that is just too funny. My dsil puts them in everything he cooks…and I call them fungus to poke him. But nah, even though I don’t care for mushrooms, it’s the onion things on the top that I don’t like so much.
Late DH had an "incident" with a Chinese dish with black mushrooms when he was a kid and refused to eat any thing with any kind of mushrooms. So, I always substituted Cream of Chicken in my green bean casserole. One time, I was out of soy sauce and substituted terriyaki sauce and it was a hit, so I continue doing that to this day. DSIL insists that I make the green beans for any event that they're hosting.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Sooo…does someone have a really good recipe for a green bean casserole without mushroom soup or those onion things on top? I’ll give it a try.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh man! I can eat the fried onions straight from the can!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :D

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Oh man! I can eat the fried onions straight from the can!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :D
Me too! I don't add them into the green bean casserole because I find they get mushy. I sprinkle a generous amount on top of the casserole in the last five minutes of oven time so they make a golden, crunchy topping.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I eat them from the can while making the casserole. I put them in the casserole. I put them on the casserole. I have the can at the table to sprinkle more on!!! LOL

And I have another can in the pantry just in case!!! :p

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Sooo…does someone have a really good recipe for a green bean casserole without mushroom soup or those onion things on top? I’ll give it a try.
I would think cream of celery or cream of chicken would be fine. The topping could be crushed Saltines or Ritz, drizzled with butter or breadcrumbs or Panka mixed with a small amount of melted butter.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
See my post directly above yours. DH had an aversion to mushrooms, so I always substituted Cream of Chicken. No noticeable difference, from my perspective.