CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades -1960‘S

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Christmas food
As still today the most popular main course for Christmas dinner was turkey or for some, ham. Glazed sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, relish trays and some type of jello salad were also on the table.

I have fond memories of the candy dishes heaped with special Christmas hard candies, Ribbon candy, Black walnut and raspberry filled candies.
IMG_7344.jpg
Alcoholic party punch was a favorite! Hosts and hostesses did not have to spend time pouring drinks. Punch bowl sets with matching cups and ladle were very popular. Much better than warm Dr Pepper with lemon!
Image.jpeg

Pepsi 1960
IMG_7603.jpg
Campbells 1961
IMG_7602.jpg
1961 Oscar Mayer came up with their own version of a Christmas tree.
IMG_7790.jpg
1965, from Hellmans
IMG_7791.jpg
Savory recipes for parties were popular, including a tuna fish spread Christmas tree (not shown). Lipton Onion Soup dip was served at most parties. Fondue started to become popular along with anything wrapped in a crescent roll. Cocktail meatballs in grape jelly have never really disappeared from party scene.
IMG_7792.jpg
Along the savory side, aspic was popular using a meat flavored gelatin.
IMG_7793.jpg
And to finish, a cookie Christmas tree from 1962.
IMG_7889.jpg

Christmas dinner for my family was very different from all my friends. Homemade chicken soup with grandmas hand cut noodles, sarma (ground pork stuffed cabbage cooked in sauerkraut), cold roast pork and fried fried potato wedges were always served. The men folk would roast the pig over an open fire Christmas Eve day behind the barn. Grandma made 2 different cookies (stored in blue enamel roasters) and strudel (apple, cream of wheat, and cabbage). We ate like kings!! Except for that amazing roast pork, our dinner has stayed pretty much the same. What was your Christmas dinner like growing up and do you continue any food traditions?

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
We had a fairly traditional Christmas dinner. Dinner was almost always at my grandparents home, about 15 miles away. But in the throws of winter, that could take 5 minutes or more, if there was snowfall. We'd all bundle up in our snowsuits for the ride (in case we got stuck) and we knew we'd be outside sledding or building snowmen after dinner.

In the early years, we'd have turkey (my DF always got a turkey for Christmas from his company). There would be a jello mold and relish tray as starters, and side dishes of green bean casserole and a corn casserole, mashed potatoes and halved sweet potatoes (both grown on their farm), gravy, and brown and serve dinner rolls. We'd each get a glass of grape or apple juice at the top of our plate (though I now know that the adults glasses may have held some homemade brandy (based on what we found when cleaning out the cellar, after my grandparents both had passed). For dessert, we'd have an assortment of christmas cookies, incluidng my grandma's gingerbread men -- and she'd recite and embelish the story while we were biting off a leg, arm, and then she'd mumble and end the story when we bit off the ginberbread's head. This one took me right back to the age of 8. Thank you!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Our drink choices at grandmas (regardless of holiday or not) water, skim milk, coffee or Tang. The only times I remember alcohol was when they were roasting the pig, there was always a paper bag with a bottle in it.
My grandpa (who died in ‘28) was a well known bootlegger in the state lol. He apparently made good money and was very well known. Don’t know if that had anything to do with alcohol never making an appearance or not. Apparently grandpa absolutely adored grandma and his children and did everything he could to provide for them.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Our drink choices at grandmas (regardless of holiday or not) water, skim milk, coffee or Tang. The only times I remember alcohol was when they were roasting the pig, there was always a paper bag with a bottle in it.
My grandpa (who died in ‘28) was a well known bootlegger in the state lol. He apparently made good money and was very well known. Don’t know if that had anything to do with alcohol never making an appearance or not. Apparently grandpa absolutely adored grandma and his children and did everything he could to provide for them.
OMG, Tang!!!! I haven't given that any thought in years! GM would make that when we visited during non-holidays. We found close to 100 home-canned quarts of wine and blackberry, cherry, and peach brandy on the top back shelves in the cellar. Learned a lot about my grandfather during that clean-out (he lived about 10 years longer than my g-ma). Wish I had his recipes!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We have always gone to Christmas dinner at our friend's house - with Violet Holmes - the Rockette - that family.

Dinner has changed little over the years - goose, and duck with different stuffing for each, ham, mashed potatoes, a vegetable, cranberry sauce and "Granny cake" - a sort of pound cake - for dessert.

Some changes have come about due to the aging out of some of the cooks and the coming of new ones. Last year we had wonderful homemade biscuits and I brought an orzo and spinach dish and chocolate marshmallow brownies to add to the desserts.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We alway had ribbon candy and the mixed hard candies pictured above. A few Christmases I found them in KMart and brought them home so my children could experience them too.

Hot Dr. Pepper over lemon... now that is interesting. I may just try it this Christmas.

That Oscar Meyer hostess tree had me chuckling. That would be another fun thing to make if only to get my brothers to roll their eyes at me. LOL!

Those penguins are cute too. I like the cut out star cheese.

My aunt hosted Christmas dinner when I was a kid. I remember drinking either soda or mulled apple juice. Mulled apple juice was nice when we first arrived but once everyone was in the house, I needed a cold drink. Between the body heat of the 19 people and the oven, it got warm in her home real quick. I just remember her windows and dining room mirrors would be steamed up.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I only remember drinking fruit punch made with Hawaiian Punch and Vernors gingerale and coffee. Most of the family parties were at our house. Mom did a lot in the basement to create a entertaining space we could get about 60 some people down there to a sit down buffet style dinner. Alcoholic beverages were never allowed in our home. (DM's dad was an abusive alcoholic). Family tried it once and were promptly told to take it back to their vehicle.

Dinner was pot luck with us providing mashed potatoes, and ham, rolls and pies. Some one would bring turkey and dressing. And there were lots of traditional sides. Grandma and Mom both had a suet pudding recipes ( I have both) not a favorite as a child except for the buttery sauce that went on top.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Some of these recipes are amazing. I wonder what they would taste like. Hot Dr Pepper??? Is any one keen to try and make some?

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Christmas breakfast was always dried beef gravy on biscuits, and then my mother and both grandmothers would cook all day, in our kitchen, for dinner. Ham (scored with whole cloves stuck in), candied sweet potatoes, green beans, fresh hot rolls, deviled eggs & a relish tray, fresh cranberry sauce, cranberry relish (my favorite), pecan pie, pumpkin pie, fruitcake. One grandmother bought a fruitcake well before Christmas and poured rum or brandy over it. The other grandmother made fruitcake cupcakes which had to be made at least 6 weeks ahead so the fruit could be soft enough to eat. My mother made Toll House cookies, both chocolate chip & butterscotch chip (my favorite), and we had baked and decorated other cookies. Dsis & I drank water or milk, and the adults had coffee. We never had company, just my family and grandparents. We had moved to California and extended family were all in Indiana. Every year they said "There's enough food for an army!" and it was no exaggeration. We ate yummy leftovers for a week at least.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Our Christmases were spent in Cleveland at each of the grandparent's houses. We lived in Columbus. My mother was not a good cook ... so we ate well at the relatives! DM's mother made homemade bread and a poppyseed Kuchen. DF's mother made homemade Italian sausage.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I definately grew up eating ribbon candy at my grandparents house. Now the MOST important thing in this post is Hellman's Mayonnaise. I'd visit Texas and they'd have Hellman's mayo and at home my mom always had Miracle Whip. I knew at a very young age my preference was Hellman's or Best Foods, so the minute was out on my own...Miracle Whip was OUT!!! haha I still use Best Foods to this day, only because Hellman's wasn't sold in Colorado. There is a slight, very slight difference, but I never compromise with a generic when it comes to mayo!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hellman's is my fav mayo brand as well! Duke's is good too - I've gotten that when it was on sale.

LOVE all the vintage ads! The Holiday Hostess tree is a trip!

Also amused to see that Christmas penguin appetizers have been around a while! I have always wanted to make them but the more modern versions are super tiny and fiddly:

Now my wheels are spinning on how best to do the hard boiled egg version show in the picture! :cool:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I only remember drinking fruit punch made with Hawaiian Punch and Vernors gingerale and coffee.
Did the punch have coffee in it? Or did it just have Hawaiian Punch and Vernors gingerale?
Is any one keen to try and make some?
I told dh that I was going to try it during the Christmas season. :D

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Did the punch have coffee in it? Or did it just have Hawaiian Punch and Vernors gingerale?

I told dh that I was going to try it during the Christmas season. :D
Ha Ha ...Coffee was the adult beverage... The fruit punch was for non coffee drinkers. I really should reread what I type as you don't here the voice change in written words.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ha Ha ...Coffee was the adult beverage... The fruit punch was for non coffee drinkers. I really should reread what I type as you don't here the voice change in written words.
Well, after the warm Dr. Pepper, I wasn't sure if this was another trendy drink I wasn't aware of. LOL!