CIJ Christmas Through the Decades: 1980's- Movies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
In the '80s, almost all of the popular children’s cartoons had holiday specials airing on specific nights. Of course, you had to consult the TV Guide to find out when they would air or keep an eye out for the commercial that would tell you. All of my favorite shows: He-Man, She-Ra, Smurfs, The Flintstones and many more would have holiday specials.

Along with those popular cartoon or animated shows that had holiday specials, there were also some very popular holiday movies that came along in the 1980's.

1690194794662.png
A Christmas Story came out in 1983

1690194842790.png

1690194899974.png

1690194956797.png

1690195206959.png

1690195206893.png

There are many more! Gremlins, Silent Night, Deadly Night, A Christmas Carol, etc.

What was your favorite holiday movie from the 1980's? I loved Prancer and Scrooged. I didn't really get into A Christmas Story until I was older.

Attachments

• 1690195036847.png
    1690195036847.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 1

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
With my DD being a young child in the 80's, it was a magical time for us. Prancer was especially important to us. Much of it was filmed in Three Oaks, Michigan, which is near my hometown. To this day, when I wach it, I notice places that I recognize, homes and businesses that were used in the background, etc. Thanks for making me smile this morning with these good memories.

Reactions: jampss

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Yes, Die Hard officially became a Christmas movie - great list!

My particular fave is Trading Places with Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis (1983)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We love, love A Christmas Story! Always watch it during the season and especially on Christmas Day. We were at the Christmas Story house in Cleveland on opening day. Got to meet some of the cast. The museum was interesting, our guide was one of the cast members. He had such great stories. Was worth the trip to see everything.

• Love
Reactions: luludou and jampss

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Christmas Story- I remember GOING to the movies to see it!
Still one of my all time favs.
I also remember going to see Scrooged in the Theater- up in Tucson.

That and Christmas Vacation are a must see for me every year.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles is another fav.

80's was a good decade for Christmas movies!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
More crazy memories ... when DD and DSIL first married, they jokingly (or so she thought) talked about putting a leg lamp in their bay window. Unbeknownst to her, DSIL ordered one and, yes, it went in the front window and continues to be prominently displayed every year.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I was pulling an all nighter, wrapping Christmas presents on Christmas Eve, the first time I saw A Christmas Story. I loved it! It kind of became a tradition for dh and me, watching it while we wrapped presents, with the kids in bed. We bought both that movie and Christmas Vacation and still watch it every year. Another of my favorites is The Man in the Santa Claus Suit; now without a vhs player I can only watch it on YouTube.

Reactions: luludou and jampss

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Much of it was filmed in Three Oaks, Michigan, which is near my hometown.
Too cool! We are a half hour from Three Oaks! Prancer has been on my to watch list for a while but it just got bumped up!

JUST watched Die Hard for the first time a couple of Christmases ago and loved it! Really all the movies listed are so good! I don't think I have seen Planes Trains and Automobiles actually...I'm sure it is hilarious!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Saw Scrooged and Die Hard in the theater! We watch Trading Places like most every year. I haven't seen Prancer or Train, Planes ... I tried to watch A Christmas Story once.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Too cool! We are a half hour from Three Oaks! Prancer has been on my to watch list for a while but it just got bumped up!
Just looked at your profile. I grew up in Sister Lakes, graduated from Dowagiac.

• Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We don’t have a leg lamp for our front window but we have talked about lol. A few years ago I got my son (who’s now 38) the pink bunny suit. He was such a good sport! We took pictures of him which he promptly sent to all his friends. He was pretty funny, a grown man with a full beard in that suit.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Gremlins always used to be on TV between Christmas day and New Year's Eve. It will forever remind me of that weird in between week!
I just watched Gremlins in June for Rudy day. I don't remember it being on TV as a kid, but I'm sure it was.

Reactions: jampss and Whusky

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Saw Scrooged and Die Hard in the theater! We watch Trading Places like most every year. I haven't seen Prancer or Train, Planes ... I tried to watch A Christmas Story once.
I haven't watched Trading Places in years, I may have to look that up and see where it's streaming. I laughed at your "I tried to watch a Christmas Story Once", becuase I tried more than once and just can't do it. LOL....it's definitely not my cup of tea. Has anyone watched the second one, not being a fan of the first one, and actually liked it. I've debated watching it just to say I have, but don't want to waste my time if I'll hate it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I didn't know there was a second one???

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
We love, love A Christmas Story! Always watch it during the season and especially on Christmas Day. We were at the Christmas Story house in Cleveland on opening day. Got to meet some of the cast. The museum was interesting, our guide was one of the cast members. He had such great stories. Was worth the trip to see everything.
I’ve never seen that. I said I have to watch it this season

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I didn't know there was a second one???
It was an HBO Max exclusive. I assume at some point it will make it out more mainstream though.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For years and years I just didn't find Christmas Story to my taste. But something about the last time I watched it just clicked - I think I had it on as background noise while I was wrapping. The jokes just started to seem hilarious - so I grudgingly have added it to my list! LOL

Part of the reason I originally was put off was the fact that TBS (I think?) would play it non stop over and over on certain days of the week in December and I just got sick of seeing it all the time!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
For years and years I just didn't find Christmas Story to my taste. But something about the last time I watched it just clicked - I think I had it on as background noise while I was wrapping. The jokes just started to seem hilarious - so I grudgingly have added it to my list! LOL

Part of the reason I originally was put off was the fact that TBS (I think?) would play it non stop over and over on certain days of the week in December and I just got sick of seeing it all the time!
Yeah, they'd have marathons for days playing it. Now I noticed last year when I was in the hospital the 1st few days of November they were doing the same thing with Elf. My daughter reminds me that when we seen Elf in the theater I said I didn't like it. But now I love it. Sometimes I think you just have to be in "the mood" for certain movies...no doubt!

Reactions: jampss and halimer

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Dsil plays A Christmas Story over and over, all day, on Christmas Day. I enjoy the movie, but not that much. If I ask for something else, he plays A Charlie Brown Christmas over and over, and then he goes back to Christmas Story. Lol.