CIJ- Day 16 Put in on a Shelf

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Yesterday we left off with the Elf arrival. Let's start today by briefly talking about types of Elves and then get into Elf antics.

There are many different types of Elves out there (some shared photos yesterday) so choose wisely. You could go with the super popular Elf on the Shelf that cannot be touched. Or you could find something a little less creepy and more friendly looking and make your own rules. This is how we chose to do our Elf business. We have evolved over the years with our Elves (yes, plural). We started out with one for each child. They were very small, poseable dolls and they had very Christmasy names. We eventually traded those in for something larger and stuffed (you can find them on Amazon or even at Hobby Lobby). I even found a small wooden sleigh at a yard sale. We still had 3 Elves, one for each child. Then I believe we even added a reindeer one year.

Now, we have one Elf and a llama, and this is where we are going to stay. They still arrive with a letter on December 1st.

Elf Antics:

I’m going to preface this by saying, we don’t do something with them every day. Sometimes we say they were too tired, or they decided to be stubborn because a kid didn’t do their chores, or their room was too messy. You get the drift. It’s really your game to do with what you want. Use it to your advantage. But don’t be a jerk, it’s about magic and fun. https://pin.it/6A3BZed https://www.bounty.com/family/everything-christmas/elf-on-a-shelf-24-antics-this-christmas

The simplest ideas can be the best. It doesn’t have to be something elaborate every day. One of my favorites is to spell out a message using candy like M&M’s. Another is to get another toy (stuffed animal, action figure, etc) and use mini marshmallows and they have a snowball fight.
4017593f11cc3692a5b41c747c6377dc.jpg
We string them up by light strands or hide them in random places for some last-minute antics when we forget and need something quick.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
As shown in my pic on yesterday's (15th) post, mine are vintage, probably dating to the l940s or early 1950s. I have several that I inherited from my DHs family and they are the same ones my GM had. At least one is dressed in red, and at least one in green; one or two went to my daughter as a keepsake, when she got her own place before she met her DH. Because of their age and fragility, mine just sit in a strategic place "keeping an eye on things." I usually post a picture for my young grand nieces and nephews letting them know that the elves even visit their aunt, to make sure she's behaving.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I love how creative the various placements I have seen through the years! Some I just look at it and wonder how did anyone think that up! Ha ha ha.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
The vintage pic from yesterday was cool.

Oh! Neat idea about a message in M&M's!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Love the message with the M&Ms.
I think my problem would be coming up with a new idea every day, even a simple idea. I suppose there are a few websites etc where you can get ideas from.
It would be one more thing to have to be organised with in the lead up to Christmas but such a fun thing to do.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The two links I included in the main post, have tons of ideas for Elf antics! One has each day broken down starting from December 1st, so a full 24 days leading up to Christmas and they are simple ideas. The Elf should never be intimidating. It can be as simple as you want. It's all about fun!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I used to plan ahead so I was prepared for the elf antics... I do EASY / FAST ones. but kids were already old enough so we didn't have to do them everyday. Nowadays they mostly sit and watch but ALWAYS bring a Christmas Calendar when they arrive on December 1st. They used to brind a Christmas cd and movie every year.
Guess they might have to start moving again with grandchildren :)

Reactions: jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Would be fun to put the elf out of the 25th this month hiding well. Then snap a photo of the children or adult with the elf in the background. Then they might not notice the elf until they see the photo.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Or just put it out for the 25th for CIJ, and make sure they see it. Or, snap a photo and put him away, leaving the photo on the table on 26th, with a note about stopping in to check to see if they're being good.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Would be fun to put the elf out of the 25th this month hiding well. Then snap a photo of the children or adult with the elf in the background. Then they might not notice the elf until they see the photo.
An Elfin photobomber, love it!