Complete newbie -- is it too late?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

elfstacy

Retire Member
Nov 12, 2010
I've been reading a lot online lately about magic elf traditions. I've seen the Elf on the Shelf for sale, and have been curious. I would love to do this for my 2 sons (ages 9 and 4), but am worried I am too late this year. I'm also a little confused about how to begin. I just want to be sure I understand the concept...

I've read some posts about letters. Do I understand correctly that a letter from Santa or Mrs. Claus should arrive in the mail first to let them know an elf will be visiting? Then a letter from the elf himself? Then the elf should appear and hide in a different spot each night as well as make a report to Santa, right? Then he hitches a ride home Christmas Eve? What is the Santa story he should read from each night? Anything else that is a must have to do this for my kids?

Thanks for any advice. I will be reading as much of the forum as I can to catch up on this. :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Honestly you can do it however you want....my elf always arrives with the letter and a small gift....no letter in the mail....since your short on time that might work better.

It's never too late for the elf to arrive....lol. After he arrives we let Evan know that the Magic Elf can never speak opr move around when humans are around....so that explains why he just sits there..lol

You can give small gifts, have him get into mischief....one time ours hid in the fridge because he missed the North Pole weather

Its only limited by your imagination!!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
elfstacy, It's not too late. The first year our elves came, they didn't arrive until December 9th. I still gave a lego advent calendar since I knew my boys would love it. The only letter we received was the one they arrived with from Santa explaining why they were there. Our letter mentioned they were delayed due to the amount of work they had to finish up before they could leave. Santa did send a letter with them the last two years as well, but I really don't like having to write the letter. This year they just came and my kids didn't even notice there was no letter. I agree with Gingerbug, you just make it what you want. Some leave crackers and water for the elves, but we don't do this either. I think the Santa book you referred to is one about Santa and the North Pole. We don't do the book either. Ours elves just like finding fun things to do but sometimes they are good and just stay in their beds. Since I really don't like trying to figure out what to write, our elves write there reports with writing humans can't understand. Definitely just choose the ideas that appeal to you so it is fun and not something that adds more stress.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
its never too late......think up an excuse - didnt finish his jobs at north pole, got blown off coruse in a snow storm, went to the wrong country, santa only just realised he missed the sleighs.......

my boys got a letter the 1st yr as my now middle son wrote asking for an elf!!! since then tthey have sent our elf an email asking him to come.

we dont have a story they have to read or anything like that. the elf can cause as much or as little miscief as you like, it can even go back to north pole - like if kids are being naughty!!! or to fetch a friend for 2 nights! you make it your own adventure.

Snowybear

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
I agree that it's never to late for the elves to arrive. This is my fourth year that the elves have been at my house, and every year I switch things up a bit. I actually tend to go overboard, and my dh shakes his head every year, lol. The only thing that stays constant is that they get into mischief. Have fun with it, your children will love the elves and will look forward to their arrival every year!