Crafter's Challenge January 7th--13th, 2024

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Have a few things I would like to get done if I don’t join my husband in being sick. Good thing we were able to be away last weekend for our birthdays as this Wednesday is his b-day.

This week I would like to:
()knit on second washcloth
()wash fabrics for a quilt top
()some more tidying up of craft room—want to rearrange a few things
()pull together the supplies needed for first batch of Christmas cards

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am putting together lists. I seem to always be writing lists.
I have found a pull out with recipe for Texan Spice rub. Not really a craft but I would like to make some as gifts.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I am putting together lists. I seem to always be writing lists.
I have found a pull out with recipe for Texan Spice rub. Not really a craft but I would like to make some as gifts.
I think my focus this week will also be some list. Just a starting reference point of what I want to do and what I will need to accomplish said list. And Katrina, I think including the texas spice rub is a good idea. I've wanted to make some pickled Jalapenos (Cowboy Candy) for gifts, so maybe I'll include that in my list as well.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina, I think including the texas spice rub is a good idea. I've wanted to make some pickled Jalapenos (Cowboy Candy) for gifts, so maybe I'll include that in my list as well.
I know this is probably the wrong place to share this but am happy to write out recipe.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm not sure what project I will work on this week. I think it would be best to look at what I have in the craft area and make a list of the projects to post here. One thing I just thought of now is making labels for old bottles to use for Halloween (eye of newt, etc.) and maybe even Valentine's Day (Cupid's love potion, etc).

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh? Recipe??

I will just continue on the donation Pet Mat. But I need to look at patterns to crochet Christmas presents for 2024.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The rub does sound like a nice gift.

I need to order vanilla beans and get vanilla started. I like to let it sat several months.

The jar openers are just like 2 pieces of 7" (or whatever size you choose) fabric and then a piece of rubber like shelf lining and you sew the 3 pieces together---right sides facing each other and rubber piece in middle. Leave opening for turning. Stitch shut and then I sew a X thru it. You should be able to google it and then also on pinterest.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This reminded me that I need to start making my own spice mixes. Since I finished my Italian Seasoning blend Friday night, I'll start with that. Need to find a good recipe and compare ingredients with what's on the commercial bottle I just finished, cuz I liked that one a lot.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I need to decide what project(s) to take to Open Sew tomorrow. Quilted hearts will definitely be in the tote. I might throw in some smaller UFOs like a bowl cozy that I haven't finished and a hexagon table mat. It seems like my larger projects would need more concentration than I'm able to achieve at Open Sew with other people around.

I would like to decide on motifs for Easter card and April birthdays (either CCS or machine embroidery) and perhaps get started on those if they will be CCS. I have ideas for Valentine's Day cards to make with the embroidery machine.

I'm also knitting a prayer shawl.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Made the binding for the quilt this morning. Started gathering up all the scraps for a scrappy backing.
I want to make a few valentine cards so I need to get on that pretty soon.
My husband had me sign up for the embroidery card making class for my birthday gift. I’ve been all set to do it and kept changing my mind because I’m really want to do a no spend Jan/ Feb along with the pantry challenge. It’s a nice gift, but he’s not helping with the no spend theory lol.
Embroidery club is tomorrow. Not sure if I’ll go, depends on the roads.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Texas-Style spice rub.

2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.

Combine all together in a bowl and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Store in the pantry for up to one month.
Can be mixed with a little oil to make a marinade.

I think this will be an easy recipe to double or triple the amount.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Texas-Style spice rub.

2 tsp ground paprika
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.

Combine all together in a bowl and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Store in the pantry for up to one month.
Can be mixed with a little oil to make a marinade.

I think this will be an easy recipe to double or triple the amount.
Thank you for sharing!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
IMG_0214.jpeg

Still working on Pet Mat. Working towards a square. :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
How hot/spicy is the spice rub? It sounds good! What's your favorite way to use it? Thanks for sharing!

Jampss ~ such pretty yarn!

I made some progress on some UFOs yesterday and actually finished one which was a bowl cozy. The quilt block I worked on I sewed wrong so had to frog it and one other block later.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
How hot/spicy is the spice rub? It sounds good! What's your favorite way to use it? Thanks for sharing!
I have actually not tried it yet. I saw it in a magazine just before Christmas and thought it would be OK to try.
The magazine had a two part recipe, the spice rub and then a beef taco recipe using the rub.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I started the edge on Mum's towel last night. So much easier using a big needle to pierce the holes rather than the crochet hook like last time. :rolleyes:

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Second washcloth is done and yarn for third is in my knitting bag.
Rearranging I wanted to do in craft room is done. Sure I will be doing more later this year.
Half the fabric for quilt—printed is washed along with some fabric for a couple other project. Will wash the solid fabric tomorrow night.
Pull the floss needed for the next b-day card and supplies for the first set of Christmas cards.
Before washing ones of the prints I made some photocopies of it to use as wraps/labels for the washcloths.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Binding is made for the quilt. Started to play with making the backing, but didn’t get far.
Made the valentines cards and cleaned up after that, glitter and glue not my friends.
Will try the spice mix, thanks for posting. I like that it doesn’t have chili powder in it. I like chili powder but find it’s in so many seasoning mixes, it gets over used.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Will try the spice mix, thanks for posting. I like that it doesn’t have chili powder in it. I like chili powder but find it’s in so many seasoning mixes, it gets over used.
I am going to try it soon. I have most of the ingredients at home. If I like it I will but fresh ingredients closer to Christmas and make it as gifts. I am aware that the instructions say it will keep for up to a month. Jarred spices have a long shelf life so am wondering why mixed spices will only last a month....What are you thoughts?