Cutting the Clutter for Christmas!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
Well, I have arranged to have my stuff picked up tomorrow for the AOHS garage sale! There's some motivation to sweep through the closets and drawers one more time before she gets here - when I'm pressed for time anything questionable goes.
I have about 20 hours and need to sleep part of that time so I am off to fill boxes.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I dropped off 2 more boxes and a bag on Tuesday. Go me!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kim...we had the same problem with our medicines. They took up too much room. Once I decluttered the kitchen, I found a space in a high cupboard and we put them in there. It made it easier for us and cleared up a whole ton of space in the bathroom.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Never thought about moving the medecine cabinet! That's an idea...

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
Added to the pickup bags: 10 more tops, 5 pairs of sandals, 4 plastic drinking glasses, and two books.
I'm gonna keep moving til she gets here - I know there are more books that can go away!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I keep our weekly meds and vitamins out in a tub on our counter. There are alot between my daughter and I and I hate looking thru the medicine cabinet each week for everything. This makes it much easier. The rest of our meds (not every day meds) are also kept in the kitchen on a shelf. It's better for the meds anyways. So get them oved girlfriend!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We sent a large sack of clothes to goodwill over the weekend, and a bag of books went to charity as well. There were another 3 bags of papers went out, and we finally cleared off the table in the kitchen.

And I went through a bundle of papers in the sitting room and sorted my crafts, knitting, recipes and others into bundles, putting most of them into plastic sleeves, and ready to file, while also finding a couple of duplicates and things that I didn;t want to keep. So another bundle getting smaller at least.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Even though we are far away from home, it is exciting to me to read about the progress you are making on decluttering!!!!!! Open space is SO delightful!!!! We are giving OURSELVES wonderful Christmas gifts ---- right now!!!!! :santa:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I spent 2 days shreading paper. That was nice I have a almost empty drawer that should have had craft stuff not papers in it. Also found some papers that I needed at the end of last year and b/c of that we lost out on some money we could have had rolled over but we lost instead. Well not going to let that happend again I know better now.
Not sure what I am going to declutter today but I am going to find something.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
You all are really very motivating to me! I cleaned out some drawers on Sunday. Actually, on Sunday I did accomplish a good bit so that was good. Last night, not too much, but tonight (after Paris) should be better. DH and I are in a good pattern of getting things done.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have an appointment to do my taxes on August 11th. Because I have worked so hard this year on decrapifying, I have been able to put my hands straight on all of the tax papers. It really was worth all of the effort in the beginning.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is the kind of reward that makes everything worth it!!!! Congratulations! This is the kind of thing that we all celebrate!!!

jollymom

Retire Member
Jun 27, 2010
Oh my, this tops the not-wrapping-early problem by miles. I'm going to join in here as well. Such a long way to go BUT anything I do now is something I won't have to deal with/stash later -- plus being able to bless others.

I saw (most of) the saddest show last night -- I think on HBO. Homeless -- Kids of Orange County. It was about the poorest kids in the most affluent areas. They live in motels paying weekly. When someone is evicted, their stuff goes in the dumpster. So then many of the kids from the motel climb into & dig through the dumpster for ANY toys...gripping them tightly like prized possessions. The motel was close to Disneyland and the kids play on the sidewalks and parking lots near Disney. They go to a free school nearby. The interviewer asked one boy about his shirt and he said it was a donation. Tween age girls were showing their arms all red from bed bugs they deal with in the motel room beds. A teacher was talking about our rights in this country and a 7 yr old quoted "You have the right to remain silent"! UGH!!! Changed my rating of my problems quickly!

I've been so stuck for sooooo long. We almost moved to TN in Aug 2007 and then the move was cancelled 1 week before the move date. We then had LOTS in storage from showing the house & packing. Slowly unpacked but never set up house fully again. Then the next Spring, we started getting ready to move closer to my husband's job (in the same area) but our house sold instantly in Jun 2008 -- everything went into storage & we lived with my mom for 7 weeks. Daughter was diagnosed with Autism during this time. We moved into this house in Aug 2008, had Hurricane Ike in Sept, and my husband told me in Nov 2008 that we'd move to TN after the school year. I just gave up. Me - the packrat with a good heart - stuff in storage for 2 years, plus our packed garage, gave up. We didn't move. Still had a slumber party cookie exchange that Christmas though:)

So here we are now, here atleast through this school year and never having fully moved in by making this MY house. Clutter and this topic is very present in my mind daily. Now I've committed to making it a home through the end of October -- pictures & personal touches up AND donating as much as I can to make this Christmas the free-est one yet. Through all this, I've always continued to do everything I'd always done, parties, etc. I would now just like to start enjoying the process and the moments of it all. Doing things ahead, no stash & dash, prepping, etc. I'm tired of the standard crash & burn and closets busting at the seams before parties or holidays! I kill myself to make it all look effortless and like I always live like that. :eek: I even had my annual cookie exchange in 2005 TWO weeks before my due date! I think I didn't move for days after that party!

On Sunday, I just threw away several of the previous owner's curtains b/c I wanted our own energy in this house. I always have the intention of donating but don't always regularly follow through. My husband did not want these just sitting in the garage (and I was so overwhelmed by the garage that I said ok and let him take care of it -- of course he chose trash!). Yes, we threw away all those curtains but I do have LOTS more of everything to give away. Also, I've gotten selling stuff out of my head. Hasn't happened yet -- not looking likely -- and then after seeing the show last night -- a fresh reminder of others' unending/constant needs..... Everything counts, no matter how big or small the effort -- it ALL brings us closer to peace & joy!

Less with me and around me & my family will always be good. And perfection needs to go out the door with the donations!

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well said Jollymom... that's the spirit :) Decluttering & making our house our home is a very important thing. I also always donate to others... rarely throw away. Trash for one is a treasure for another.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
jollymom- That is quite a challenge to have so much of your things in storage and not knowing of your future plans.

I agree with you and luludou- I try to donate whatever I am getting rid of.
I must get it out of the house ASAP. Sometimes that means I get a couple of bags together and off I go to drop them off.

I am a dash and stasher too! I get compliments that my place is comfy and welcoming but I need to work on the closets, under cabinets, storage room.

Keep going! Keep us updated on your journey!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Oh, how I would love to have clean closets, cabinets, etc.! I'm known as a stasher, too. I think it's more that I just have too much stuff!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Jollymom - what an inspiring, thoughtful post! I really enjoyed reading it!! Your plans/dreams sound exciting and good! Please keep posting and we will travel together!

skynyrdfan

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Illinois
Jollymom, I kinda feel the same way about my stuff, I want to enjoy it but....

So I have been busy and had some computer issues the last few weeks - went to visit DM for a few days, came home and promptly caught whatever bug DGS had, and have been working at least one day of the weekend and it has been in the 90's for the past two weeks and I work outside! Needless to say I am tired when I get home!

Still chipping away at Mission Declutter though - I have a shopping bag with lotion, bodywash, and (unopened) freebie makeup for a friend's 9 year old daughter who will enjoy it I am sure. This family is having a difficult time financially so this might bring a little joy to the little girl.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Now that the weather is a little brighter here I have again caught the cleaning bug. I am really not looking forward to the upcoming summer, so I want to get started on the 'heavy' work now while it is still cool. There is so much that gets put off over the winter so I will spend the weekend going through cupboards and getting rid of things that don't need to be here. There are winter clothes that I will not be storing again this year. I did not wear then at all this winter so they have to go. Do I really need 4 winter coats???
I am sure that there are people out there that could use my extra stuff.

Decrapifying is a good thing..... YES?