Cutting the Clutter for Christmas!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cutting the Clutter for Christmas 2010!!!!!

I read through this thread -- and I think it is very inspiring! Getting rid of clutter is an ongoing journey! Reading the older posts, I remember how clutter was a big issue for us - in September and October! It was in the way of our Christmas plans and activities then!

Are you feeling any inspiration for getting rid of more clutter for Christmas 2010?

For me -- the guest room was NOT suitable for guests in 2009! In fact, it was a toxic waste dump. It is so much better now..... and it is such a great feeling to actually be ABLE to have guests -- rather than in terror that somebody might want to come visit.

Our local school collected items for Haiti recently..... and it was wonderful to go through the house, selecting nice items that they could use! I had more than I needed -- and it was wonderful to think they might go to someone would appreciate them!

That also initiated another round of decluttering. Clutter causes me work and worry. The less of that for Christmas 2010 -- the better! So -- I'm going back to the kitchen now!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Another really helpful thing -- our Jumpstart January "cleaning plan". Two week periods in which we work on different areas of our homes!

AND -- we can add special incentives to our lives! I have a nice incentive -- getting the house ready for tomorrow night's First Wednesday Women's Whine/Wine Night -- which will be at MY home this month! This is a very good incentive for cleaning and organizing!

I welcome all the things that help me along this path! I have come to realize that the less clutter around, the better!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It is March 2010..... and I am inspired again.

What do you think about a "Scorched Earth" attack on clutter?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I don't REALLY know.... but it sounds great! Very tough and aggressive!

I think that a "scorched earth" attack leaves NOTHING behind. Everything is totally burned and destroyed. Even the ground is "scorched"!

I took this phrase to mean a very tough, determined declutering effort!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I have just got TOO MUCH STUFF for the amount of space I have. Things are crammed in -- into shelves and closets and corners.

Trouble is.... I LIKE STUFF. I like books, clothes, dishes, Christmas decorations .... all kinds of things. The things I have are not bad. There just isn't enough room for them.

So.... I think some ruthless declutering is necessary during 2010!!!

AND.... I had certainly better be very very careful before bringing new stuff into the home!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I want to scorch too!!!

I too have way too much stuff.... but when you want to craft... you need stuff... Everyday now I try to declutter some space... I've been doing a good job since last year. Tons more to do but babysteps...

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
me too. i love stuff but try to get rid of something when i bring home something new. i was into bath and body then candles. now its clothes and purses.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Housewife2 -- I'm WAY worse than you. I need to get rid of TONS of stuff.... before I am at your stage. I have just got way too much stuff NOW!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Baby steps SN. Just take little steps at a time. 30 minutes a day and you will get there in no time. You have always been an inspiration to me and I know that you are capable of anything.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I have just got TOO MUCH STUFF for the amount of space I have. Things are crammed in -- into shelves and closets and corners.

Trouble is.... I LIKE STUFF. I like books, clothes, dishes, Christmas decorations .... all kinds of things. The things I have are not bad. There just isn't enough room for them.

So.... I think some ruthless declutering is necessary during 2010!!!

AND.... I had certainly better be very very careful before bringing new stuff into the home!

We're in the same boat. Hahaha

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
me too. i love stuff but try to get rid of something when i bring home something new. i was into bath and body then candles. now its clothes and purses.

Been there, done that too. LOL Right now it's pretty sleepwear.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hugs and kisses to you, sweetpumpkinpye! I really treasure your sweet words!

Luludou -- trying to declutter some space every day is the BEST plan. (I'd love to do it ALL in one day...... yeah! dream on!)

Today... my major project is: to empty one bankers box full of paper. I am being ruthless in getting rid of papers we no longer need to keep. My minor project for today is to work on cleaning out the refrigerator.

There is a LONG ROAD to decluttering this house! luckily: there are 271 days until Christmas 2010!

What do you think?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
OK. The bankers box of papers is gone. 90% shredded/recycled. 10% retained for the new filing system. There ARE more boxes of paper for future days.

The refrigerator is better. Plenty more work will be necessary to get it into good shape.

Worked in the yard, too. Two bins of yard waste. (I do make compost. But this is vines/ivy/stuff that would grow in the compost piles. So it has to go.)

The countdown to Christmas today is: 271 days. Lots of time for a major decluttering before Christmas 2010!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well done SN. Isn't it great when you achieve exactly what you plan to?
Think of what we are all capable of. As 1 we are good as a team we are magnificent. We are together every step of the way and I know that with the support of all my friends here I can move mountains.

271 days Oh my goodness.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
It has just occurred to me: what a wonderful Christmas gift to OURSELVES it would be..... to have less clutter for Christmas 2010 than we did for Christmas 2009!!! THAT would be a really big, really meaningful gift.... to ourselves.

I think THAT will be my goal for 2010. We have 270 days left now....... plenty of time for Real Life to happen ALL during this year.

And.... PLENTY of time for just plain maintenance to happen too. There are so many days, when just doing the most important routines is all that we can possibly do!!!! And....... that is just fine.

Actually..... I am pretty tired from yesterday's BIG decluttering efforts. And..... pretty tired from the three very intense, Real Life weeks before that. So..... today will be a Routines day for me!

And, if I can declutter some small spots..... that will be a wonderful bonus!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for your sweet words, my adorable little aggy! We DO have so many things to guard against: like Burnout. Burnout is bad. We don't want it!

Another danger is: Bad Attitude. I REALLY had Bad Attitudes towards taking care of my home - and "life stuff" (like bills, etc.) I hated it. Then... someone recommended Flylady. And.... that helped a whole lot! Her BabySteps helped me ditch my "all or nothing" thinking. (And - it usually turned out to be "nothing"!)

Then.... I discovered OrganizedChristmas.com and that was great. And then..... Gingerbug created our Magical Holiday Home. And -- this is the best! Our MHH Family is so encouraging. And - so inspiring! We really do help each other keep going!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
SparkleNana, love your idea of giving ourselves the gift of less clutter for Christmas! I'm really going to try and work on it. Maybe just a little everyday.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I now believe that why I was so sick before Christmas 09 was because I did not pace my self. Oh I was organized, had done the baking and the food shopping. Gifts were bought and menu set and then I hurt my back. I was out for weeks and the presents were not wrapped!!!
This year thanks to my wakeup call I am getting organized NOW. I will de clutter and tidy in the first few months if the year and from September I HOPE that there will be nothing to do but routine stuff. It will not matter then if that stuff does not get done.

I will be wrapping earlier thanks to our wrapping parties so hopefully no disasters this year.

270 days to go...things are looking good so far.