Days of Christmas fun

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I thought I would start today's thread about Christmas fun, but I labeled it without the count so it may have the chance to live more than today, unlike the ghost of Christmas Present.

Today, I don't think I will get anything done. :sad: I have to go to school this morning, stop at Gordons to get supplies for the elementary school's MEAP testing breakfast, decorate for fall at the elementary school (can you tell who is PTO president?!) Get the MEAP encouragement bags put together, come home make dinner, may have to take dd to the doctor she may have an ear infection, and then in laws come between four and five to drop off venison that father in law shot last night. I would like to box up things to take to GoodWill so that it is out of my way and I feel like that works toward the Holiday Grand Plan. Whew! I am tired just typing it let alone doing it! lol

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Good idea, ChristmasCheerSpreader! A place where things can live for more than a day is a good idea.

While I was making a cup of coffee, I watched CNN. World economic news: not fun. I can't tell you how happy and peaceful it made me feel to know I could come here, and be with people who love Christmas - no matter what! And who look for - and find - fun every day! Great people here!

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
:jack:

I have a day of Halloween fun ahead of me today. Tonight is my October quilt guild meeting and as one of the refreshers, I am baking and decorating for the season. The ladies get a little (blah) with refreshments each month but because I love Halloween, I trade with someone so I can do this month. My ds and dh carved a cute smiling jack o'lantern for me last night so he will be the centerpiece for the table. I have a black sheet for table covering and tea candle holders in various pumpkins and ghosties. This afternoon I need to bake 2 batches of mini carrot cake cupcakes. One regular recipe and one 'tweeked' with low fat and sugar-free. I may also make popcorn balls for fun too. I love the response the ladies have when they arrive for the meeting to see "JACK" and the scent of cinnamon (I coat the inside of Jack's cap with cinnamon)!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Going clothes shopping at noon... will look for Xmas gifts.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Aggy, you are thinking about using your planner to "help" you.

So far, I have just been using my planner as a source of guilt.

But - I am willing to try to look at things from your point of view.

I walked over and picked up my planner (just now) and put it down on the table next to me.

Later on, I will try to open it and see if it can help me. Baby steps. :grouphug:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
SparkleNana said:

I walked over and picked up my planner (just now) and put it down on the table next to me.

Later on, I will try to open it and see if it can help me. Baby steps. :grouphug:

:grouphug:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
SparkleNana said:

SparkleNana, you are so funny. I actually got mine out last night, opened it and looked at it. Yay for me!!

Aggy, I am behind, too, so don't feel badly about it. Do what is right for you.

:bigsnow:

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Huh, while waiting for dd to be seen by the doc I had mine out and was updating with things that are going on with us. That is to funny that everyone is doing the same thing.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
I didn't get aound to getting my planner out which I really must do, but I did manage to buy a couple more gifts towards Christmas. I am hoping to update my planner later today or maybe this evening when my children are in bed.
:frosty:

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have taken my planner to work with me, as I never get time to look at it at home. I keep half in work anyway (the present list and budget etc) but I need to update my chores lists and a few others. So I will spend a half hour on those now before anyone else is in.

Last night, I was very bold though - I did do one repeat on the scarf at home, but after DD was in bed when I usually work on it, I was too tired so I read a knitting magazine instead. Which meant I found a pattern for a hat which DH loves, and a pattern for a pinafore which would suit DD so well and I think she'd love. So I may end up going out to buy more wool tomorrow.....

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well I bought my brother a nice wool sweater (5$), pyjama pants (3$) & socks ($1) yesterday. Really inexpensive. They are returns from a local store so brand new (you buy as is (sometimes a button is missing or seam is undone), no returns, cash)... and I didn't find anything wrong with these (sometimes it's the end of lines too). and the other day, I bought him chocolates filled with Baileys at Costco's ($10)... just need a bottle of something to drink and I'm finished with his gift!

I bought stuff for DD & DS (mostly for DD because it's mostly clothes for young female adults).... but I wanted them to see if they liked it and if it fit (I would have sold it to someone else otherwise - there are no returns... )... they won't give them back!!!! :rotflol: They decided they liked it and are keeping it!!!

It cost me around $65 for DD (1 coat (knee-length for autumn, cotton-plaid), 1 autumn vest with fur on the hood, 1 sweatshirt vest with hood (with a brand! "Roxy"), 3 pairs of socks, 3 sweaters, 1 pyjama-short.

For DS I bought 2 hooded sweatshirts (he only likes one but DH wants the other one), 1 T-Shirt (DH will keep also)....but it's mostly girl's clothing.

I also bought a bathroom rug and a throw and a sweater for me...

Total $95 (there are no taxes).

Yay! good buys!!

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
well, I sprained my ankle yesterday so despite how much I would like to get into my gift stash in the basement, we do not have an elevator so guess the gifts will be there for when I can get to them.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Wow, Luludou, you did some GREAT shopping there. (And I love the fact that they won't give back their presents!! You must have chosen really well!!).

ChristmasCheerSpreader, sorry to hear about your ankle, but it could be a great opportunity to rest it while watching holiday movies, writing the cards and letters, and catching up with folks on the phone. Mind it properly - our ankles and knees are so important (the other bits are too, but keeping our ankles and knees in good shape is very important) and give it a chance to recover well.

I went a bit backwards in my Christmas fun yesterday - I had done another couple of feet on the scarf at home - when I realised that the pattern was one that was curling inwards as it lengthened - which I didn't want. So I ripped it back and started again in a difrferent pattern that I haven't used for anyone else and definitely doesn't curl. So now I only have half a foot done, but I'll get there.

Today won't see much Christmas fun either - a beautician's appointment (of the torture rather than pleasure kind), busy at work, buying 2 birthday presents for my sisters (who are coming to lunch tomorrow), organising going to a funeral tomorrow morning with the toddler in tow, and then home to bake a birthday cake with the toddler for the lunch - I just want to make it to 5pm tomorrow in one piece.

I may get back to it on Sunday though (I am hoping that DH takes DD out to the playground, and I can watch some old movies and nap).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well I tried 2 new recipes today (will be eaten for supper). The yuletide coffee cake from gooseberry patch and tourtière. Smells good!!!

TerryMaine

Retire Member
Oct 10, 2008
Today has felt like Saturday to me for some reason....? Could be because dh took a day of vacation.
Opened the planner to the budget page.......was looking forward to the Ornament Debut at Hallmark
in the morning, but that was before we found out that we are looking at a rather hefty repair bill on
the car. :frown:
Water pump went out. Supposed to be ready Monday afternoon. Really hope so as dh is on call
rest of next week.

Anyway, back to trimming, and I can cut back on some things. They were in the wants column and
not the needs column.

Lemonade sounds good all of a sudden. :flower:

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
I got a Christmas CD today for 1.50 at the going out of business sale at a card shop here in town. They used to carry Hallmark so that stuff is being sold also. 40% off! I also got some Yankee Candles in there at 40% off! I was very excited! I love the Macintosh scent and they had them. I also got a big one for my mom for Christmas, at that price I couldn't pass it up. :skate:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We ate the 2 recipes I tried. Yuletide cake and tourtière!!! Smashing success for both!! and everything was done in the morning... so all afternoon just to clean up and get ready.

Got up at 7:
- Baked muffins
- Baked the yuletide cake (very good!)
- Got the toutières(2) in the oven and they cooked all they long.
- Got the soup in the crockpot
- Got the salade ready.

Afternoon:
- Vaccum
- Dust everywhere
- Clean up

... laundry will be done another day.