Do you love "A Christmas Story"?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Every year we watch A Christmas Story and today I was delighted to find this site.
http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Not sure how I could have missed this but I had no idea there were so many movie related items for sale. Does anybody do A Chritmas Story tree? How fun would that be.

I think I must plan a winter trip to tour the house.
:skate:

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
We are crazy over this movie! I had seen the house website last year, but they were still renovating--looks very cool now that it is finished.. ::eek:rnament:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I keep promising myself that one Christmas morning my husband will unwrap that lamp! :santalol:

Unfortunately it says only "Available within the United States".

Earliest Christmas & Red Ryder - Jean Shepherd

Here's an article I wrote for a now defunct monthly Christmas Newsletter:

November 18, 2006

Jean Shepherd wrote a collection of short stories for various magazines that were eventually collected and published in a book. Doubleday books released “In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash” in 1966. At least one of these stories would become entrenched in our modern day Christmas traditions.

Shepherd also hosted a radio show on New York City’s WOR from 1956 to 1977. Reading his Christmas short stories on the air became a Christmas Eve became a tradition for listeners of WOR.

Offered for your enjoyment this week is a couple of those readings as heard on WOR in the 1970’s. You may recognize parts of these stories that would become the nucleus of one of our holiday movie favorites. From radio tradition to television tradition, listen to the author read what would in 1983 come to the big screen. We know it as “The Christmas Story” and watch it every year during the twenty-four marathon on one of the Turner channels!

http://www.maskmusic.com/other_music.html Scroll down to about the fourteenth and fifteenth offerings entitled-

December 24, 1971 - Earliest Christmas WOR Jean Shepherd (mp3) - (10.65 MB)

December 24, 1974 - edit - Red Ryder WOR Jean Shepherd (mp3) - (9.34 MB)

These would be good to burn and take on the road for the work or holiday vacation drive! See if you can detect any differences between the short stories and the movie. “You’ll shoot your eye out kid!”

For more about Jean Shepherd visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Shepherd

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
TFS those radiojond, I will be listening to them when I get enough time.

HouseElf I just got the new Lakeside Collection catalog http://www.lakeside.com/home.asp and they are offering a 20" Christmas Story leg lamp and I believe they ship to Canada. I hope it works for you and take a picture of him to share with us. :haha:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thanks ~ I am holding out for the full size version, :-D , however I saw a few items I did like (the first born, second, youngest ornaments) but they do not ship to Canada it seems! Thanks anyways ;-)

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
I soooo love this movie!!

I have two little boys and I always relate to this movie. If I didn't already plan our NH polar express Christmas excursion, I would totally be going to Ohio to visit the house!

HouseElf, I totally want to see that picture!

Kelly :bigsnow:

Ps. If you remember, this will be the first season the director isn't with us anymore (Bob Clark died in a car accident in April.) I will be sad watching the movie this year thinking of him and his family. :frown:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I really wish I could send my brothers all those lamps this year. Unfortunately, the budget isn't quite there. lol.

I'm thinking of sending them all the decoders with a message that spells out "BE SURE TO DRINK YOUR OVALTINE" like in the movie, and then including a bottle of Ovaltine.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I so love this movie. I watch it every year at Christmas during the 24 hour marathon, and have the video to watch whenever I want thru out the rest of the year. Cracks me up when Randy makes the piggy noises eating his mashed potatoes! LOL LOL :rotflol:

:bigsnow:

knl81

Retire Member
Aug 9, 2008
Deckr8r- That is such a good idea to visit that home for a tour! How awesome that would be to watch that movie over and over (like most of us do...especially on chrsitmas day) and then to see in person!!!`

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
We all love the movie here. A few years ago one of my brothers bought my son a Red Rider BB gun. For three weeks before Christmas he kept asking my son if he wanted to know his Christmas present and of course what 8 year old wouldn't want too know. All my brother kept saying was "you'll shoot your eye out" it never clicked to my son until Christmas eve when he opened his present. On Christmas day when he got to go out back and learn to use his BB gun my brother was showing him how todo it and my son said "You'll shoot your eye out" but I won't.

momtomaddie

Retire Member
Jul 17, 2008
East Central Indiana
I must be the oddball here. I never really didn't like that movie that much. I'll watch it only b/c it is a classic. But dh LOVES that movie, it's the only one he will sit down to watch with me.

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
Our community players are putting this on for our town Christmas play this year. I have been kicking the idea around of trying out for the teacher part, just something small. We have the Hallmark ornament of Ralphie in the bunny suit. My father in law is always teased about being ralphie.

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Christmascheersprdr You go for it! what a great way for you to spread Christmas cheer. You must let us know how it goes and since it's a smaller part and you'll be all organized for Christmas anyway it won't stress you out so much. Good LucK!

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
TFS...and its here in Ohio......... ROAD TRIP...LOL I would love yo take a trip up there.

pkcrafty

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Central Arkansas
It seems like the Christmas season starts for me right after I see it for the first time!

I love the school scenes, although I was a couple decades from that era, the school and Ms. Shields remind me of my own childhood schooling.

It's a classic! :skate: :skate: :skate:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
You know what?? I've never seen that movie... OMG! .... it's missing for my Christmas spirit.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Oh my gosh! I can't believe it!! Thank you for the link. :applause: My DS - 23 loves "A Christmas Story." I will definitely be ordering a stocking stuffer. It's a classic and a favorite at our house.

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
This is my all time favorite! My Hubby didn't like it at first either as he was expecting a heartwarming kind of story, but now he can't wait to watch it every holiday! It's already in my Christmas movie collection.