Easy Jack-o-lanterns

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I saw this in a magazine last year. Forget which one it was......
If you have big coffee cans or baby formula cans, file the sharp edges around the top if there are any. Paint the cans with primer and then spray them orange ( or whatever you want - purple, green, black etc) and then paint faces on them with paint markers. Fill with fall/halloween flowers or candy and it makes the cutest little decoration. Actually I think I did this two years ago because I used baby formula cans.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I really like the metal jack-o-lanterns we made when my boys were younger. I think we used old metal paint buckets, and placed the smaller potted mums in them.

Thanks for the reminder :) Will have to do this craft again this fall. Would look great on each step into the porch.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I made a mummy one like this too when my kids were little. I painted the can white and hot glued torn cotton strips around, then added eyes and a wire handle. We used ours to hold the candy for halloween. If you have one of those can openers that unseal the top instead of cutting, you get a smooth edge (won't need to file anything) and you will still be able to use the top if you want.

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
HouseElf -- I had mine on the walk in front of the door. Mums would look cute!

jinglemom -- I haven't seen a mummy one. That's true about the can opener and now alot of the cans have those peel off seals, but I check the sides just to make sure they're smooth so when little tiny hands reach in they won't get cut.