Elf Mischeif ideas inside.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

momiilu

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
www.myspace.com
a large majority of these I have probably gathered from here, a few I've found else where and a few I've come up with on my own :)

Hope they inspire you, please feel free to do them, or make them your own :)

~Elfcapades~

Attempting to baking cookies and making a mess playing in the ingredients… in Kid’s kitchen?

decorate a room for a different holiday (like putting up Halloween decorations or something or something from another country)

Leave presents every so often

pictures of the elves causing mischief

candy canes will be hung everywhere one night

paper chain (christmas countdown) will be made by elves or the elves will cut the strips and leave them with supplies and instructions for the kids to make the chain

He will set up the Train and be riding it when we wake up

Make A kindness box....just an empty decorated box for the kids to fill with notes. As they "catch" others being kind they will write it down and put it in the box. We will read them all Christmas Eve.

elves decorate the kid’s rooms while they are sleeping

leave some money boots lying around http://members.cox.net/crandall11/money/boots/

Make colored glass with a note for the kids to play with it http://hurrayic.blogspot.com/2008/02/colored-glass-tutorial-for-kids.html

Snowflakes and peppermints hung everywhere to make it feel more like home.

Elves leave a foam North Pole (Santa’s House) Kit Project with instructions for kids to make him his own house for his visit.

Elves are found in the tree with our camera on the tripod. When downloaded we’ll see that they took pictures of themselves goofing off!

They are found watching a new Christmas movie (I will have one wrapped that they will find under the tree and they will open it) and eating popcorn

Elves make breakfast. Red & green pancakes (green pancakes with strawberry topping with a little snow (whipped cream) on top. Red juice, green eggs, etc.)

Leave Kids the “Elf” movie to watch throughout the year to remind them of our Elves

Leave Hot Cocoa and a Christmas Music CD with instructions for an evening stroll to see Christmas Decorations

Bring ingredients to make Christmas Play dough

Bring Christmas PJ’s on December 23rd for kids to find Christmas Eve Morning.

Make a mess out of Christmas Lights

Empty out Change Jar (it's shaped like a snowman) and “Hide” in the snow man jar… I always wondered what it was like to be a Snowman

Have him bring a build a snowman kit (box with hat, gloves, scarf, eyes, nose ect)

Set Sail as a Christmas Pirates

Dress up in Camouflage and play with hunter dan and other toys

Found sleeping in the Wreath

Instructions to go get Elfed online www.elfyourself.com

Ice cream sundaes in medicine cups.

Play cards with some of the kids’ toys

Play Fargo with some of the kids’ toys (aka Farkle/farkel)

Paint an ornament for each of the kids, leaving a mess of supplies for them to paint some too.

Found playing Christmas games on the internet

Found Reading our Christmas Cards

Found working on his scrapbook after returning home from the Snowball Formal Dance

Snowball fight (with pom-poms or cotton balls)

Hiding in the freezer because its nice and cold in there like back home at the NP

Play dress up in our stuff

Trying to ski down a mound of laundry

Found working on his blog/email

Caught peaking in presents under the tree

Redecorate the Christmas tree with the kids’ underwear

Hiding in the tree

Coloring Christmas Pictures

Taking a marshmallow (bubble)bath

Snooping over at the neighbors.

Get into the Egg Nog

Make elves and Christmas town from legos

Send kids on a scavenger hunt

Found outside with a snowman

Make smores over candles

Make Christmas Designs from toothpaste on bathroom counter

Hide in new mugs in cupboard for Hot Cocoa

Draw Christmas Trees on bathroom mirror and leave toothbrushes with a note

Have a popcorn / movie party with all the stuffed dogs to watch Snow Buddies

Prep & Landing Printables to tell about the movie on ABC http://family.go.com/entertainment/pkg-disney-prep-and-landing/

Decorate the bathroom with Elf Décor from www.terrysvillage.com

Set up a tent and camp out in the living room

Go sledding/skiing down the stair railing

Have a tea party with a few of the dolls around the house

Found texting Santa

Elves on Strike when kids are naughty

Reindeer races, the elves set up a race and ride the reindeer

Bring a CD of Christmas songs to learn so the kids can go caroling

Bring supplies to make mini elves to give out to people during the holiday season

Make pages for The Elf Scrap Book for the kids

Hide a note in the kids lunch for school

Stack up all the Christmas gifts into a big tower

Set the table with elf décor http://www.not2crafty.com/2009/12/napkin-holder-elf-shoe-decorate-christmas-table/

Hide out in the freezer with some Christmas shaped treats

Play dress up in Eliana’s doll clothes

Stack up some cans of food to get up onto the counter leave a note for the kids to bring it to the food shelf

Have elves go fishing in the bathtub, elves sitting on toilet with kids fishing poles.

Take a ride in the dryer, NO HEAT, air fluff, gentle*DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE LITTLE KIDS THAT WILL THINK THIS IS OK, BE SURE TO MAKE NOTE THAT IT IS NOT A SAFE THING TO DO*

Go fishing in a bowl of GoldFish Crackers

Found reading the story of Jesus Birth in the Bible

Found digging out the kids school stuff from their backpacks

Found working on a Christmas Puzzle

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Wow, if I can't pull some thoughts from that list then I need to just give up! Thanks for taking the time to type it all up!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great idea! Maybe we can post other ideas to this thread to have one full of ideas.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
copied from another board last year:

Being mischievous elf’s we all discuss things have done whilst visiting our families.

Here are a list of some of them:

• Adding underwear to the Christmas tree
• Have a party with the toys – we left cds and party poppers everywhere
• Hide for a few days but leave the children notes as to where hiding so they can try and find you
• Go to McDonalds in the car and leave wrappers in it
• Play with the children’s toys
• Help wrap presents but end up stuck in paper
• Hide in different places around the house everyday
• Make pancakes and leave mixture on the worktops
• Watch movies and eat popcorn/crisps
• Elf’s can bring things like tickets to shows
• Snowball fight with toys using cotton wool
• Sneak into the cupboards looking for food
• Bring advent calendars on December 1st
• Read the kids books (and leave new 1s)
• Make paper snowflakes and hang around the house
• Make a toilet roll trail around the house
• Make a track and play with cars/trains
• Put the Christmas decorations up or take them down b4 they should be down
• Build with Lego
• Leave the Children craft activities – (my favourite is elf masks)
• Take photos of everyone asleep with you in it
• Ride the Children’s bikes/scooters in the house
• Sit on the ceiling light watching everyone
• Wrap school uniform in christmas wrap
• Colour in the Children’s books OR bring Christmas pictures and new pencils.
• Go fishing (if you have a fish tank where you live)
• Leave presents occasionally - I leave chocolate elves or coins
• Sledge down a mountain of washing
• Hang in the Christmas tree
• Play Christmas games on the internet
• Have a white marshmallow bath in the sink
• Make zip-lines from top of christmas tree to floor
• Leave new pjs on Christmas eve
• Paint "dads” toenails red!
• Re-arrange furniture
• Re-decorate the house for Halloween or Valentines day
• Leave post it notes everywhere
• Leave elf size Christmas trees in bedrooms
• Hide in the freezer, leave a note saying you’ve found somewhere like home.
• Write good/bad list about what’s going on
• Take pictures of what you do and write in the journal
• Hang from ceiling/Christmas lights
• Hang candy canes from ceiling
• Write elf jokes and leave them around (as long as the children are old enough to understand them
• Leave notes in school bags/lunch boxes
• Write questions for the children to answer
• Make a Christmas quiz for them to do
• Listen to Christmas cds
• Build a tower from DVDs/cds to get to things high up
• "mum” had made a cake and I put my hand in the icing
• Turn all lights on b4 everyone gets up
• 1 year we had a party BUT we were drinking wine and beer - Santa wasn’t happy and we all got banned from visiting families the next year! (don’t do it! You have been warned)

 We Elves need "snow” on us every night (tip from MUM, make a "bag” of magic snow – hole punched paper and polystyrene balls, completely sealed then you don’t have to clean it up!)

momiilu

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2008
Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Love the snowcream idea ;0) you could also die the lemon juice green because I'm sure elves pee green ;)

You could have the elves hiding in the fridge with ingredients to make ziplock ice cream! my kids love this recipe!
What you'll need:
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup milk or half & half
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons rock salt
1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
Ice cubes
How to make it:
Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

(I have my kids wear gloves or mittens, or oven mitts so that their hands dont get too cold while shaking it, we usually put on some music and dance around while we are shaking our bags)

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
The snow ice cream sounds fun. I've never heard of that before. I already captured this recipe for my file. Thanks!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Awesome ideas! TFS!

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
We don't have snow but maybe once a year if that often. But my great grandma used to make snow cream. Not ice cream. If you live somewhere that gets alot of snow, the elves could make big cups of snow cream. I don't have any idea of anything that could be substituted.

You need a big cup of snow, some sugar, some milk and vanilla flavoring. It's all mixed until it's like a big sweet (not too sweet) vanilla slushy. Wish I could be more specific, but we very seldom get snow. My 8 yr old has only had it once. Books a million had a drink several years ago called snow cream and that tasted alot like the one we make.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
The first night our elves run around the house w/ sticky notes and leave notes all over the house. The last 2 yrs i had mini sticky notes but this year I think i will try to find some Christmas ones. The notes may be on the freezer and it says how cold it is in there, like home. Or on food in the fridge freezer, in the bathroom a reminder to brush their teeth or saying they used their toothbrushes, on something that has changed from last yr. (this is new I like it,)on toys (can we play w/ these one night)...What is fun when sometimes I find a note that didn't get taken down well into the new yr, makes me smile.

When our elves did a McDonalds car run they left the tree parked in the yard almost hitting a tree. one was in teh booster seat, one on the gas, one on the stearting wheel w/ food/trash in the car. Next time they may come back w/ breakfast for the boys. or I considered leaving them in the walmart parking lot w/ a note at the house saying they were going on a walmart run.

ladybugsmom

Retire Member
Sep 18, 2008
massachusetts
I swapped out the toothpaste last year for red (Close up) and green (Aim) toothpaste. The kids thought it was a hoot!

I bought one of those car costumes on clearance last year. So the elves are going to put it on my husband's brand new giant truck. He's a bit of a scrooge and totally over protective of the stupid truck, so this is going to get lots of laughs.

I might also paint the dog's toenails red and green (if the sweet baby will sit still).

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I swapped out the toothpaste last year for red (Close up) and green (Aim) toothpaste. The kids thought it was a hoot!

I bought one of those car costumes on clearance last year. So the elves are going to put it on my husband's brand new giant truck. He's a bit of a scrooge and totally over protective of the stupid truck, so this is going to get lots of laughs.

I might also paint the dog's toenails red and green (if the sweet baby will sit still).

love the toothpaste idea! Maybe my dog would cooperate for me to do that.

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008

oooh, where did you get a car costume???? that would be hysterical!

nicurn92

MHH Member
Sep 25, 2008
rofl, oh I own those already. :) drives my 15yr old NUTS. :) also own the easter rabbit ears...