Extended Family Weekend getaway!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Just planned a weekend getaway with my husbands family as our christmas! I'm so excited! My family has been doing this for a few years already! Everyone brings drinks and snacks to share. Sometimes we go out to eat, some times we get food for the microwave.... It's just so relaxing!! We pack movies and games... toys for the kids!
We create "lists" of things to do, places to see, places to eat etc. Every day we discuss what each of us is thinking of doing (sometimes others join us, sometimes not but it's nice to hear what everyones plans are) We spend time playing, eating and talking! Just so exciting!

ChristmasCheerSpredr

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
owosso michigan
My dh's family did this last year, we went on a cruise. It was terrific! Since the family lives all over the country, this worked out. We all flew into Tampa and hopped on the boat. It was great, same kind of thing- sometimes we were together sometimes not. What was also great is that the food was all included so no one had to do anything but show up to eat.

We had one day where we went onshore (Cozumel, Mexico). We hiked to some ruins, then spent a couple hours on the beach and then did shopping where everyone went their separate ways, at least we did. It was great ! !

We are talking about doing something again. Not sure when though. We have a trip to Walt Disney World planned with my parents so can't afford to big trips on top of each other.

But it is a terrific way for everyone to have fun together!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
You are right, Christmascheerspreadr! This kind of get-together is fun for everyone!

One thing that you did was make somebody else responsible for the food! In this case, it was the cruise people -- who are famous for great food! This took away the work aspect -- and made sure there was grea5t food for everybody!

May I ask, who organized this idea? I think it is wonderful! But sometimes it is not easy to introduce new ideas to a family that is accustomed to doing things in a certyain way. Change can be scary! :grouphug:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
Our goal is to keep this VERY simple and inexpensive. We are staying in a condo that has multiple rooms--so everyone can come at their own time and have their own space. It has a kitchenette so we'll be bringing snacks (christmas candy, sausage, crackers, cheese, snack mixes, fruits and veggies, muffins, breakfast stuff, things to heat in the microwave). Each person is putting together a few things they want to see/do--but we also plan on playing games and having time to watch movies etc. together. The gift we are giving each other is the gift of time. :grin:

creativemom

Retire Member
Jan 9, 2008
I just found out that DH oldest brother and wife have agreed to the weekend getaway with the two younger brothers and wives (and our son)---however MIL and FIL don't want to do this. I'm very proud of the BIL and SIL for jumping in with us! I'm really looking forward to this (and happy that they agree!!!) As for the MIL and FIL--- we've gotten his BIL's and SIL's to agree to chip in together to get them 2 nights stay at a hotel that they can use whenever (like on one of their motorcyle rides accross country). Seriously I'm thrilled with this because this is the first time EVER we have gotten the guys to agree together and not do the gift card exchange :rotflol: It's so nice to see this all working out. It's nice that we are all organizing things together so we will all get to do our things (and do some things together). That makes it all the nicer!