Favorite christmas tradition

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
What fun this would be.

sierra_mtns

Retire Member
Oct 9, 2011
My favorite is St. Nicholas Day on December 6. My Oma and Opa (grandmother and grandfather), who lived next door to us, would have a roasted duck or goose dinner which ended with a spice cake dessert. Then Opa would go get the advent wreath, which laid flat on the round table in the parlor (so you could light the candles). Oma would play the piano, and we all sang "Stille Nacht" (Silent Night) in it's original German. (I was 7 before I realized the words I sang to Silent Night were different from my classmates.) Then Opa would light the tree while we sang. After it was over, he would give my father a half bushel basket filled with oranges, apples, small wrapped dark chocolates and small wrapped presents for my five siblings, me and my parents. It was the kickoff of our holiday season.

My second favorite tradition was English crackers at the breakfast table on Christmas morning. My Opa was 1/2 German and 1/2 English. His father spoke mostly German and his mother spoke mostly English. My mother would make two Apple Puff Pancakes, sausages, strong black coffee, and apple juice for breakfast every Christmas morning. Then we would sit down to breakfast, open our crackers, have several good laughs, good food and good family.

My parents only gave us three presents (because that's how many Baby Jesus got for his birthday.) We would open them after breakfast -- I'm pretty sure that the strong black coffee for breakfast was my father's idea since we wanted to get up and open presents at the crack of dawn!

I forgot to add that the six Hummel angels that Oma and Opa had on their Christmas tree (one for each grandchild) now have a home with love on my Christmas tree.

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
That is so sweet.

I love the feast of St. Nicholas, Christmas eve pj's, and our holiday Christmas crackers
BUT...
I think my favorite holiday tradition does not even involve our children :eek:

It is the time between when the boys go to bed, and the stockings are hung - and it is just me and my DH and the couch, hot drink in hand - just being. We turn the lights off, only tree and candles are lit, we softly play Christmas music and relax.

Last edited: