February 14th - 27th: The Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Our Challenge for the next two weeks is The Master Bedroom. Like all of our two-week challenges --- this can be as big or as tiny a project as we choose. It all depends on our own individual situations! Like all of our challenges -- this one is designed to help us! It is NOT designed to make us feel bad!

I have two projects left over from our last challenge - to add to this one. (Cleaning half of a bathroom closet! And scrubbing the fronts of three or four kitchen cabinets.)

And - on the plus side - the bedroom was thoroughly vacuumed yesterday before the challenge began!

AND -- before I jump into the Master Bedroom -- the whole house needs a general pick up/clean up!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That challenge ain't too bad... just need to declutter my closet & some papers in my drawer.

Not sure when it'll get done though... I'm just starting the kitchen cabinets... I'm already running late in challenges!

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
ok.. this is my weakest point...lol I have to take charge, and get into my master closet,a nd declutter.. i have been doing soo much in the past 2 months, my room has been neglected. so I have to get in this challenge... My closet has to be decluttered, and reorganized.I have to get the baby bed apart & out in the spare room, (where my mother is sleeping).. And then I am thinking of rearranging it. So it may be the whole 2 weeks.....lol But it has to get done this time... thanks for the encouraging words...
God Bless & Have a great Valentines Day..
In Christ, DawnSu

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
One of the drawers on my chest came apart on one side (angry). I think it can be fixed though. So that's one thing that needs doing.

I started working on my bedroom Friday. I've been home all week due to the snow and I had made my bedroom a catastrophy! I walked into the room and realized how bad it looked so I immediately started cleaning it. I just put down some carpet deodorizer and plugged in a new oil scented air freshener. I also have the window open to let in some fresh air. I saw a pretty comforter set in Walmart's yesterday but funds are low right now. I hope I can get it in the near future.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Lots to do here. I need to paint, but that will have to wait. I did figure out what color I want to paint and found a bedspread that I love that will work with my current curtains, which I am crazy about! They are red and .....something toile. I would say cream, but they've sort of changed background color over the past 3 or 4 years that I've had them up and are more grayish now. So I'm going to paint the walls vanilla custard yellow (same color as my master bathroom), and use a gray bedspread and the toile curtains, with tons of red and yellow pillows on the bed. At least that's the plan now. LOL! I have found some beautiful pale silvery gray sheers that I think will pull out the gray background of the curtains and be very pretty. But...lack of funds right now will delay that. However, there's plenty of cleaning (again) and decluttering (again) to do in there.

I am using mostly red accents in the bathroom, but will change the current brown additional accents to gray. That'll jsut mean new towels and soaps and a few little flea marketing trips for chotskies and other little accents. I think I'm going to paint the light fixture too, from gold to silver. I like it, but it needs updating and I don't want to replace it. But I am getting ahead of myself...this is for another week.

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Cathymac --- I am really excited that you are going to redo your bedroom! It is so much fun to hear about other people's plans and actions! ESPECIALLY when we are NOT doing anything dramatic in a particular room! And.... I am NOT planning anything dramatic for the master bedroom.

When we were well into this winter.... and things were REALLY getting cold.... dh and I decided (at the same time) that we needed an ADDITIONAL comforter for our bed. We happened to be at Target, together, for some reason. And we were prowling around the bedding section --- when we came upon a complete comforter set (with lots of pillow shams and pillow covers and even extra pillows) -- on CLEARANCE. And we both happened to LOVE it! And it went really, really well with the existing color scheme and everything already in the bedroom. Which we both really, really like!

So -- long story short -- we are NOT going to be doing any redecorating or painting or really ANYTHING in our bedroom. So -- that makes it really fun to follow along with people who actually ARE going to be redecorating things in the master bedroom!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Yikes! We are already out of the kitchen!!

Well, at least the bedroom is not too bad in general (I have been "tipping away" at decluttering there recently). And we are going to be re-decorating in the summer (if we are not emigrating for a couple of years), so nothing to be done there at the moment.

What I want to work on this fortnight is to clear off the dressing table, re-tidy my wardrobe (the shelves up top need some attention), empty out and dust the shoes on the bottom, and deep-dust the room. But not too bad overall.

And I have already made progress on sorting drawers - as we were away for a couple of nights last weekend so I wanted my small sachets of stuff for a "spa night" in the hotel. And I also found a couple of things I had forgotten about so I am now using a found-again perfume and body lotion. Happy days....

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
hallelujah.....lol I have been waiting for this challenge, as my hubby told me I can purchase more organizing chelves or wotnots for my upper closet... I have a shelf going all the way around, and then little shelves on top of it. So it looks icky...lol so I went and purchased an 18ft pc of shelving to work with here....I started yesterday afternoon in the mast bath, as it has been neglected for a while. I took all things down off wall, and cleaned them, and went thru all my meds & supplies in cabinets, all out dated went out the door. and I arranged them together.... I scrubbed my tub, and replaced a few things....I wished I had of taken pics before, as I am pleased with the part so far redone now....lol lol I may not get much done today as I have a few errands to run, and my time is when all are gone from home.... and hubby hasn't been working in the last 4 weeks, as he hasn't had any work, so I am not getting too much accomplished.....lol
will post more later.. thanks & God bless, DawnSu

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I am only planning to paint because the last time we painted that room was when I was pregnant with the middle one...and he'll be 10 in May! So it's past time. I have decided that I adore my bathroom color and my entire house is shades of red and yellow anyway. I was going gray, but decided against it in case I decide to go back to warm browns as accent in the next 10 years! LOL-and as you may know, my DH is a pro painter. uh huh.

We seriously need a new mattress/box springs, but since our budget won't support that right now, I'm going to purchase a feather bed mattress pad as soon as I can. That should make the bed nice and fluffy...we've already raised it off the floor about 6" which makes such a difference in the way it looks. The bedspread I mentioned is actually a comforter/bed in a bag rig...shams, sheets, bed ruffle, etc. and it's not at all expensive. I'm hoping to get that soon. I do think it'll make a huge difference in the way the room looks.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today... I did a lot of laundry and put everything away in the Master Bedroom. I got a lot of paperback books for 25 cents at the thrift shop this weekend. Some of them -- I may just give away without reading. Right now - the books are all in the Master Bedroom waiting to be sorted! I am going to go in the bedroom and work on them now.

Also - as I was cleaning out the bathroom closet - a number of things ended up temporarily in the Master Bedroom! I'll go through them now also.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
This past weekend I was going to organize my closet. Since moving, my clothes are not in any order in my closet. I like to have all my slacks in one section, dresses in another, and so on and so on. Did I accomplish that? No! Instead, my DH suggested we put up the desk in the playroom and set up my desktop computer. It's a older computer and I thought the grandchildren could play their computer games on it. I never let them touch my Mac. The desk took 3 hours to assemble and then after connecting my computer, I still couldn't get Internet Explorer. I labled everything when we packed it and reconnected it the same way. SO - I called my DS#1, the computer wiz, and he said it sounded like my Ethernet cord. How did he know that? So, I went to Walmart and purchased a Ethernet cord, but while I was there I also bought a TV for the Playroom, a DVD player and 5 DVD's for the kids. I've been wanting to do all this and since my DGD is coming to stay with me this weekend and she said "Nanny, I'll have to sleep in your bed because you have a TV", I thought this would be a good time to purchase it. My DH mounted it on the wall since the younger DGD is very active, I was afraid she might pull it over on herself. It looks very nice. Great picture.

So, it looks like the closet has to wait another week or two. By the way, the Ethernet cord worked!

Ciao.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Thank Heavens for this cleaning activity. I am starting on my bedroom Friday as I won't be there until then. First things on the list is to de-clutter the desk top, maybe move one stand out, do some deep dusting, etc. Hopefully I can get this much done and then will add some more.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today - my dd hired a friend who does house-cleaning -- to clean my house today! What a wonderful gift!! So -- after dd called with the news, I quickly removed the extra items IN the Master Bedroom - which absolutely did not belong in there! Now -- that room is organized and not cluttered. I think it will be easy to clean! And I will be very happy to have it cleaned!

I began this two-weeks project (working on the Master Bedroom) with two leftover chores from earlier weeks.
The first was to clean/organize the remaining half of a bathroom closet. That is done.
The second chore is to scrub the cooking grease off the kitchen cabinets. Work is progressing on that chore.

The next chore for the Master Bedroom will be to work on my drawers. I have worked on them many times. And they are getting better. Much remains to be done. Maybe I will work on that tomorrow.

teachturnedmom

Retire Member
Oct 21, 2007
SE PA
Well, we just revamped our closet a couple of weeks ago. That made a huge difference. 14 bags to PUrple Heart difference! So, I think we are pretty much decluttered. We're on the look-out now for curtains. We painted almost a year ago and never got new curtains. So, I think I saw some that I liked at Ikea. DH and I are going to go back and check them out this weekend. Hopefully we will come home with something so that our bedroom will finally be finished!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We made good progress yesterday in the Master bedroom, while giving a fairly decent cleaning to the whole house.

On Saturday, I managed to get a couple of hours to myself and- instead of giving a licka dna promise job, I did a THOROUGH sweeping, mopping and re-mopping of the kitchen/dining/family room floor, and the showerroom leading off that room, and a quick lick to the hall as I left the house. Unfortunately, DH and the PIL's came home to the chaos as I was late back - so all the dining chairs were on the table etc. But the floor was properly clean like it hasn't been in a while (lots of mud recently, and lots of dust in corners etc).

Yesterday, the 3 of us got stuck into a 1 hour spree. We cleaned and set the fire, cleaned the fireplace, dusted and vaccuumed downstairs and up. And then we went into our room, where we pulled out the furniture and vaccuumed behind it all (DH was shocked how it needed it), dusted all the furtniture and replaced it all.

I have managed to clean off the chair I put my clothes on, and sort out my bedside locker, both of which were needed.

So if I can get the clothes in the high cupboard sorted this week, and dust the shoe shelf in my wardrobe, I will be happy with progress here this time.

Pumpkinpie

Retire Member
Jan 13, 2010
FL
Wow! Winged One. You did alot. I am curious tho, never having a fireplace until we bought our new home, how do you go about cleaning your fireplace? Ours was pretty dirty when we moved in and Home Depot suggested using Greezed Lightning to clean. We did and it is okay but not perfect. Maybe it is never perfect after using it. We only used it once this winter. I think DH doesn't want to clean it, so he didn't use it.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Small things today. Dh filled in two windowsills -- that a puppy belonging to one of our children... chewed down to the bare wood... several years ago!

Dh sanded it and painted it. t looks so much better!

Then... he vacuumed up the sawdust from the sanding. and he said "It is SO MUCH BETTER to get the vacuum cleaner out of the closet -- when everything doesn't fall on my head!"

So... slowly.... baby steps.... we are making things better!!!

Today -- I went through dh's dresser -- and found a bag full of socks! Dh uses a different kind of socks now! So -- that was good! I will donate the ones that have mates. Our local shelter is always looking for socks!

Pamelajane

Retire Member
Apr 19, 2008
Hertfordshire.UK.
I am considering redecorating i this room, have looked at paint colours and seen a duvet cover that would look good...however no funds really and other jobs are a priority so i will wait.

The closets aren't too bad but down my side of the bed there are lots of magazines and books that could do with a sort out, also the cupboard at the end of the bed is where i keep my craft items and that is in dire need of a declutter.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This is the last day of our Master Bedroom challenge! I will be working inside for most of the weekend. The Master Bedroom is finished -- and I have moved on -- to the office/guest room/Christmas room.

I am gathering bags of donations for the Thrift Shop. Two bags dropped off yesterday. Getting these bags out the door and dropped off for donation.... that is a good feeling! Getting rid of trash is a very good feeling too!

Of course -- when spring weather arrives -- my interest in working inside will drop off to zero! So -- this is the important time for me!!! How about you?