February Rudy Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am making good progress on gathering my crafts supplies. Today I went to the fabric store across town at lunch, and got the stuffing to finish DD's owl cushion/toy (this weekend) and also the embroidery threads and backing fabric to make a bunch of cross-stitch pictures and some cross-stitch bookmarks. My stash is pretty large at this stage, so I DID refrain from buying anymore fabric or wool or beads or ribbons!! (I picked up one pattern, as I was getting that free with the threads, so now I have a lovely spring flowers pattern too for cross-stitching).

This month, Rudy day is on a friday, but voting day (general election) here and also 2 days after a big presentation at work. So I will enjoy some time that evening and over the weekend getting things into proper "kits" for the rest of the year!

Christmas Paper

MHH Member
Dec 8, 2008
Hi Ladies, How is Everyone on this Sat Afternoon? Sorry I havn't been on this computer is very tempermental . I think I'm gonna have to send it out somewhere to get it fixed. How was everyone's January Rudy day. Mine was good. I worked on my notebook & made some progress, maybe I'll work on it this Feb. also because I'm not into crafts. Don't have time with Hubby being sick & all. I felt like I made progress on it. After Christmas I bought Christmas Cards 1/2 price for this year and am so glad I did, that way if I feel I want to start writing them I can. Finally got all the Christmas stuff away, thank heaven. I'm decorating my room (computer) for St. Patrick's day now that monday is Valentine's. Did some cleaning this morning, & now i'm just relaxing here. Everyone have a Good day.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm not very crafty, but I have to decide what I will do for CIJ ornament swap. I will be working on the 25th, but I hope to get to Hobby Lobby or Michael's on the 26th.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
For February Rudy Day, I read a recent novel, by Sandra Harper, called "Over the Holidays". It was published in 2009, by Simon and Schuster. It is a paperback.... and was in the $1 Clearance Bin at Borders Book Store.

I just heard on the news...... that Borders may reorganize for Bankruptcy, and close 200 stores, as early as tomorrow. YIKES! I wonder if my local Borders will be one to close. I hope not!!!!

Anyway.... back to enjoying Rudolph Day in February.... and this book. When I first began to read, I thought, "OK.... it's not so good but it IS worth $1." But, as I continued reading last night, I got to LOVE this book! I WILL read it again!

It talks in a VERY REALISTIC way.... about how very different American women, united by marriages into a family, celebrate Christmas.... in their own individual ways.... AND together! Very realistic! And VERY good! n If you come across this book.... DO pick it up!!!! In fact.... I may go back and see if there are any other copies for gifts!

So.... that was a very good Rudy Day celebration! As you can tell..... I have become less and less "rigid" about the actual date of celebration. As long as I do SOME celebrating during the month.... that is just fine with me! I don't need to have it be on any particular day.

And.... I hope to do much more celebrating in February! The weather is still very "Christmas-like".... even though warming is predicted. And, of course, because of my broken leg.... the Christmas tree is still up. So.... there is plenty of opportunity!!! But...... at this time of year, certainly, I am NOT going to put pressure, about Christmas, on myself! I am here with my MHH Sisters, loving and enjoying Christmas. There will be plenty of time for pressure, later, if necessary!

Annye

Retire Member
Jan 26, 2011
My crafty plans

Growing up, my grandmother made everyone in the family - her kids, their spouses, their kids, her cousins and their children, and so on - a handmade Christmas ornament. I still have all of mine, proudly displayed each year on our tree, no matter the theme.

So this year, I'm re-starting that tradition. I've found the ornament I want to make for everyone and added the photo and instructions to my notebook (on my computer). And I'll start gathering the materials now, making use of sales. It's the cutest little kitten sewing ornament (quilting is big with the women in my family). I can't wait to start them on Friday!

In peace,

Annye

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Growing up, my grandmother made everyone in the family - her kids, their spouses, their kids, her cousins and their children, and so on - a handmade Christmas ornament. I still have all of mine, proudly displayed each year on our tree, no matter the theme.

So this year, I'm re-starting that tradition. I've found the ornament I want to make for everyone and added the photo and instructions to my notebook (on my computer). And I'll start gathering the materials now, making use of sales. It's the cutest little kitten sewing ornament (quilting is big with the women in my family). I can't wait to start them on Friday!

In peace,

Annye

Annye, what a wonderful idea! I think it's great that you're re-starting this tradition in your family!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annye, welcome....I hope that you enjoy spending Rudy days with us here at MHH

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Annye :welcome: What a great idea to restart a tradition. My dad makes ornaments every year and I love having them also

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
What a beautiful idea, Annye! And.... I love the way you described being able to do this "in peace" during the year. This is great!

Today (2/21) is a cold, wintry day. And it is a perfect day for some Rudy Day celebrations! The Christmas trree is now packed up... and waiting to be stored in the attic. I have begun gathering other Christmas things and adding them to the pile for storage. And... I am "downsizing" as I gather things. Of course... this requires thinking about how I would like to decorate next Christmas. A very fun Rudy Day activity.... and easy to do on a wintry day.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Welcome Annye! love the idea.

I've been doing some homemade christmas ornaments for my friends for the last 2 years. I made little birds the 1st year (sewing) and wine cork ornaments last Christmas. This year I want to make candy canes. I'm also planning on making ME an advent calendar. Pics are on my blog.

SN what a great idea! I'm home too.. I have lots of cleaning up planne for this morning (haven't started anything yet), but my Christmas tree advent calendar is on the table - I want to work on it some more.

Blue Christmas

Retire Member
Dec 22, 2010
I love this months idea of the craft kit! I missed out on notebooks last month - had to work. And I so needed a lesson on notebooks! Will put some thought into craft kits, but I definitely want to do christmas crackers, felt poinsettia napkin rings, and a few jewelry kits. Rudolph Day will be fun this month!

Kate 510

Retire Member
Feb 11, 2011
For Rudolph Day, I will update my notebook. I bought a couple of Christmas gifts last weekend and need to add them to the notebook. I also plan to watch Christmas movies.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
It sounds like everyone has fun plans for February Rudy Day!!! I have to work on Friday and Saturday so I've moved my big day of fun to Sunday.

I love hearing what others are doing!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Kim Loves Snow! Will you have any "downtime" on Friday/Saturday.... to post to this thread... or do anything "Rudy-Like"? If not... I hope you are able to have some Rudy-Time in your very busy Sunday!!!

I have expanded my February Rudy Day Celebration... to include the work I am doing on decluttering the guest room/office!!! EVEN having a nice room to dump extra coats in... when holidays visitors come.... THAT would be nice!!! Not to mention how nice it would be to have that room actually READY for overnight guests!!!!!! So... the work goes on! Baby Steps!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I am planning on making some cards and watching a dvd or 2...I had packed them away with my Christmas things and pulled them out yesterday. I have a shirt, socks and a mug all ready to go....

I won't be putting together craft kits (although I think this is a great idea!), as I most likely will not be making gifts this year.

I haven't looked at my Notebook since last Rudy Day, and I'm excited to be pulling it out!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Hi Kate 5101! good for you for updating your Notebook! AND... for actually HAVING a Christmas Notebook!

BlueChristmas... your ideas for Crafts for Christmas 2011... are GREAT! I don't do crafts. Everybody does what makes them happy!

Hi luludou! I know how hard you have been working in 2011! Good for you!

OK... TODAY I am getting A LOT done.... and stuff that will really help with Christmas 2011!

On the actual (calendar) Rudy Day.... probably not so much!

DD and her dh are going on a businessy trip.... out of town.... on Thursday and Friday! SO.... dh and I want to be totally available to the three dgs's.... to make their days happy and secure.... until their parents return!!!!! AND....... one of their days IS our Rudy Day.... so Rudy Day Stuff will get bumped until this weekend!

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I'm looking forward to this Rudy Day. January just kind of went by me before I even knew it. I'll be off this Friday so my husband and I are planning a day trip to a nearby town that has neat little shops and one of them happens to be a Christmas Shop! They also have a great little restaurant that is popular for their homemade desserts. I am sure looking forward to that little trip! Then I have a couple of repairs I need to make to some Christmas decorations. I didn't pack them away because I thought that would be a good Rudy Day project.